Default Hello from Adelaide

I am retired now, but started off as an aircraft mechanic (electrical & instrument), and have done everything from appliance repairs to truck driving and had a go at a lot of other jobs over the years, mostly involving some type of engineering.
    During my working years I have restored & modified (hot rodded) many old cars, doing most of the work myself. I have collected a fairly well equipped workshop, having a lathe, mill, drill press, hydraulic press, folder, and various welders. Nowdays I will work on a couple of projects at a time (usually cars or motors,etc), then add them to my collection until it's time for a change or I run out of room! I still dabble in electronics, a hobby I started when I was a boy.
    To stop going shed-crazy, I will work on my garden while planning my next step in the shed!
    I never trained formally on machining, turning, etc, having been stood in front of a lathe when I was an apprentice, and told "that's a lathe, you will only need to know how to skim a commutator on one, as an electrician you won't use one of these very much"!
    All I have learned about machine tools was through experience and a few old books.
    I hope to pick up some tricks or new knowledge through this site, I may even be able to help someone out, who knows?

Hello Juan, and welcome to a TOP FORUM.
    Like most of us on here, being self taught is nothing to be ashamed of.
    You've amassed a good selection of equipment, which is nice to see, and a background of mechanical work to boot.
    Whereabouts are you located, Northern, Eastern, Western, Southern suburbs?
    There are a few Forumites in the Adelaide area, so you never know someone may be close to you.
    If you're ever near Murray Bridge, please drop in to say G'Day, chat and a coffee.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Welcome to the forum Juan.

Welcome aboard Juan.

There’s a few members here that have aviation backgrounds - mine was engine/airframe.
    We’re fortunate to have people that are formerly trained in various metalwork areas, but also plenty of others that are largely self taught. Some of those I consider to be in the craftsman category and produce some amazing work.

With your experience and willingness to give things a go it sounds like you’re going to fit right in!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    Hello Juan, and welcome to a TOP FORUM.
    Like most of us on here, being self taught is nothing to be ashamed of.
    You've amassed a good selection of equipment, which is nice to see, and a background of mechanical work to boot.
    Whereabouts are you located, Northern, Eastern, Western, Southern suburbs?
    There are a few Forumites in the Adelaide area, so you never know someone may be close to you.
    If you're ever near Murray Bridge, please drop in to say G'Day, chat and a coffee.
    Kryn
    Thanks for the welcomes!
    I am in the sunny western suburbs of Adelaide (Torrensville).
    One thing that has me frazzled at the moment is that the order of the posts is from last to first, so you need to go to the bottom of the page to see what the original post was about.
    I don't "computer" very well, so there is probably a magic button which I can click to reverse the order, but I sure can't see it! Any help appreciated!

Good to have you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan 77 View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes!
    One thing that has me frazzled at the moment is that the order of the posts is from last to first, so you need to go to the bottom of the page to see what the original post was about.
    I don't "computer" very well, so there is probably a magic button which I can click to reverse the order, but I sure can't see it! Any help appreciated!
    At the top of the page there's a drop-down menu entitled "Forum Actions", click on that then select "General Settings". Some way down that page there's a section entitled "Thread Display Options", the second item in that group (Thread Display Mode) allows you to select the thread post display order.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan 77 View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes!
    I gave you the answer in an earlier post !

Go to the top and click on "Forum Actions" and scroll down. The setting you want is there ! In "Thread Display Mode: "
    Best Regards:
    Baron J.

Welcome to the forum.