Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saw this in the news

I hope metal working equipment doesn’t get classified as dual-use due to such incidents.

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-poli...January%202024.

Some years ago a gun owner I know ( no names ) was arrested and charged with possessing equipment to manufacture firearms, they took his mill, surface grinder, lathe belt, sander, etc plus many hand tools and metrology, all his firearms
    all from a complaint from neighbour. took 4 years and $13,000 to prove it was a malicious complaint. the equipment was returned covered in rust and debris, he took it to the supreme court and one a damages claim for 18,000.

I wonder if he bought a rifling button in through the post.

Any of us could easily make a single shot firearm, with an open bolt SMG probably the next simplest thing to make.
    Gold, the colour of choice for the discerning person.

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    took 4 years and $13,000 to prove it was a malicious complaint.
    That would be a hell of a 4 years out of his life. What happened to the neighbour, do you know?

It's so easy to throw accusations at people without proof and recovery can be so difficult or impossible.

I had to chuckle at the "large industrial lathe" description. Really wanted to see the photo of it slung from a Franna when they removed it

I do hope the police didn't confiscate all his grease though as he's definitely set himself up for a right royal rodgering with that combo of manufacturing, handguns, bulk ammo, unlicensed and then topping it all off with some electric cabbage as garnish...

Steve

Saw the same story in the local weekend paper, while his handy work looks really well made, the guy's an idiot and deserves what he gets - if you are going to be making things like that you tell no-one not even your best mate and you don't buy over the internet and have stuff shipped through the post.

I seem to recall a story years ago about a bloke with a home metalwork shop who was intimidated / blackmailed into making handguns for crime groups. I can imagine someone finding themselves in a place like that if one wrong person found out you could do it.
    Whilst the videos from the US and elsewhere tempt us with cool projects, I reckon we just have to accept that that is not something on the project list here in Aus.
    And I totally agree that this bloke is up for a stay in the chokey and deservingly so.

As if criminals are going to abide by any laws to prevent manufacture of firearms. Its illegal to manufacture parts, or complete firearms if you are not licenced. So what will owning a set of blue prints do stop a crim... laughable.

As a saying some time back, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
    Unfortunately a bad few, have virtually made it impossible for others.
    Yes I used to own a few, back in my younger days, 14 in total.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    As a saying some time back, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
    Unfortunately a bad few, have virtually made it impossible for others.
    Yes I used to own a few, back in my younger days, 14 in total.
    Kryn
    I wonder if the name Evelyn Ernest Owen means anything to the numptys that believe that banning firearm blueprints will stop unofficial firearm manufacture?
    Evelyn seemed to do alright without much formal education or a skilled manufacturing background.

He made the Owens Sub machine gun????
    Also a firearm that was made in a Prison that was the M1 Garand David Marshall Williams.
    Just because someone has the equipment, doesn't mean he's capable of making a firearm.
    What's even sillier, is that someone having ammunition, they can be charged for Firearm offences, so just because I make a few pens with bullet casings, am I guilty???
    Kryn

He certainly did design the Owen Gun in 1938 at the tender age of 23.
    What I'd like to see, is for people that blatantly do the wrong thing, such as using a firearm in the commission of a crime or who traffic firearms to criminals, to feel the full weight of the law and then some, instead of the current regime of persecuting otherwise well behaved people for simple omissions or mistakes.
    I read news reports with dismay as too often I see criminals caught with firearms used as part of crime, who then receive minuscule penalties compared to a farmer or such who may have some minor breach of a storage law for example.
    I have even heard of a mature lady being charged with being in possession of the oil bottle out of a SMLE, which she thought was an antique brass vessel of some description, never once thinking it may have been a firearm part. Thankfully the charges were thrown out, but not until she suffered much stress and no doubt a heft legal bill.

That's also another problem, the "innocent", as in the Lady, the farmer etc. in Karl's post, are persecuted, while the real criminals can get away with it.
    If someone wants to get a firearm for any illegal reason they will. I wonder how many firearms are still out there unaccounted for, never been registered, modified illegally, etc.
    The legal system has a lot to say for itself.
    Unfortunately that's the way of life nowadays, can't carry on open fire arm in public. I can remember as a kid, 15, strapping the rifle to my pushbike, sugar bag on the handle bars, to go out and check my rabbit traps. I'd caught a fox in a trap previously, hence the rifle.
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    That's also another problem, the "innocent", as in the Lady, the farmer etc. in Karl's post, are persecuted, while the real criminals can get away with it.

The legal system has a lot to say for itself.

Kryn
    You only have to look at the current "Post Office" scandal here in the UK. I've also heard this evening that the post office has been accused of tax evasion ! With potential tax bill of millions !
    Best Regards:
    Baron J.

Isn't the Post Office a Gov't institution, therefore exempt under the tax law?
    That's why the Gov't has made stealing illegal, they don't like competition!!!!
    Kryn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast