Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Done It Again.....Help Needed

I got carried away a number of days ago (beer may have been involved) and put in a bid on one of the John Heine large granite surface plates...........now owned by me OK not an issue, got a decent price and I will just ring around the freight companies and get a price and pay whatever is needed. Nobody seems to want to do it (of those I have randomly contacted). Oh dear.

It needs to be collected either 24th, 25th or 28th August, 2023 8am-4pm.

Does anybody have a contact at an interstate freight company that might be able to help? In the past I have had generous help from Goodwin Freight but I feel that I have asked too much of John to date. I am not looking for any favours and am more than willing to pay going rates. Rather than keep ringing random freight companies I thought somebody might be able to assist.

Not sure what I will do if I cannot find anybody......will probably have to make a 28 hour round trip to collect it but I am not sure if a clapped out e-gas BF Cab Chassis ute will take a ~1,350kg granite surface plate!!

Help me Obe'Wan....your my only hope.

You could rent a medium dual axle trailer etc for a couple hundred dollars over the two days if you can't find freight.
    There's also freight bid/quoting sites (like https://www.truckit.net/ ) you may have someone accept the job from there ?
    Good luck!

Used the TruckIt type sites already. Looking at rental options now. A 14 hour one-way drive is not appealing but it is the price of stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1_Oz View Post
    Used the TruckIt type sites already. Looking at rental options now. A 14 hour one-way drive is not appealing but it is the price of stupidity!
    Hi Glen,

Too easy to get carried away at an auction ! BTSDI
    Best Regards:
    Baron J.

What size and where is it? Have an 8X5 with electric brakes here to borrow, if push comes to shove.
    Sorry can't use the Triton, off to Melbourne around the 26-27 August.

Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

There was a fairly large surface plate in the second hand section of GT in Cavan. IIRC it was a 1200x1200 or a 1200x800 for like $1000 or less. (My memory is a bit fuzzy now cause I didnít really stop and look well at it).

Anyways, there is a guy on the Aussie Hobby Machinists FB group by the name Piper that helps members move machinery.

Try contacting him to see of he can collect it, put it on a pallet and backload it depot to depot for you for a reasonable price.

I have not dealt with him directly but he is often active on the FB group.

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    What size and where is it? Have an 8X5 with electric brakes here to borrow, if push comes to shove.
    Sorry can't use the Triton, off to Melbourne around the 26-27 August.

Kryn
    Cheers Kryn appreciate the offer. It is 1830L x 930W x 970H cms on a stand and best I can estimate it should weigh about 1300kg

i definitely cannot confirm that a bunnings dual axle trailer will happily move 1400kg interstate.

That will fit inside the trailer, and it's good for 3490 kg with electric brakes, will soon have a blue tooth controlled set up as well.
    Regards,
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by kafie1980 View Post
    There was a fairly large surface plate in the second hand section of GT in Cavan. IIRC it was a 1200x1200 or a 1200x800 for like $1000 or less. (My memory is a bit fuzzy now cause I didn’t really stop and look well at it).

Anyways, there is a guy on the Aussie Hobby Machinists FB group by the name Piper that helps members move machinery.

Try contacting him to see of he can collect it, put it on a pallet and backload it depot to depot for you for a reasonable price.

I have not dealt with him directly but he is often active on the FB group.
    I have dealt with him and was very helpful. I also saw the auction and turned off the computer before opening a stubbie. If you want his phone no I can pm
    Last edited by ppdmiami; 23rd Aug 2023 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by BaronJ View Post
    BTSDI
    Still trying to work out the acronym.....

@ppdmiami & kafie1980 - I have bought from Allan multiple times and have a good relationship with him. His plate is 900x600 which is smaller than I want

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1_Oz View Post
    Still trying to work out the acronym.....

@ppdmiami & kafie1980 - I have bought from Allan multiple times and have a good relationship with him. His plate is 900x600 which is smaller than I want
    Hi Adam,
    Sorry ! Been There Seen it and Done It ...
    Best Regards:
    Baron J.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronJ View Post
    Hi Adam Glenn,
    Sorry ! Been There Seen it and Done It ...
    BaaaHaaa

OK decision made. Road Trip!!!!!!!!

The ute is supposed to take 1200kg so i will stretch it to take this plate. Just hope my calculation is over...should be due to the lip on the top

I've got a slightly larger lump of granite that was an old CMM base.
    The stand is made up of 6 legs with adjusters in the top. The legs are held together by bolting them to some folded steel sections roughly 1000 x 300 x3mm thick.
    There is a steel ball approx 25mm diameter that sits into a recess in the top of the adkuster, and a steel support plate with a recess underneath sits on the ball. A piece of softish plastic about 2mm thick goes on top of the steel support pad, and the granite sits on top of all that.
    The legs are 50mm square and are solid steel - not SHS. The complete base is pretty heavy - I'd estimate over 100kg.

In use only 3 of the legs are supporting the plate, and there is nothing holding the plate and legs together other than the weight of the plate and friction between granite/plastic/steel pads that stops it sliding off.

Not sure if the plate you're picking up is anything like that sort of construction - but just highlighting that
    a) it may be heavier than you think
    b) if the plate is just sitting on the legs like mine is, then its probably not cool to just throw the whole lot on as it normally sits and throw a couple of straps over it!!

If I had to transport mine on the ute I would be putting it low on the deck sitting on some timber bearers, putting a blanket or similar on top, then a sheet of heavy ply or chipboard, then the stand on top making sure the stand legs were in line with the timber bearers.
    If I had the option it would be on a decent trailer as it would be lower with a wider wheel track.

I've transported a few decent weight loads on the back of the old landrover tray (which is rated to carry 1500kg), and the most uncomfortable ones are where the load CofG has been high, so from that perspective even if the plate was attached to the legs I'd be looking at separating it to put the plate on first and get the CofG down.
    Admittedly the old landie is a 4WD and the tray is almost a metre off the ground which will be higher than your BF. YMMV.

Its always exciting doing a road trip to pick stuff up - hope it all goes well !!!

PS: not trying to teach you to suck eggs - but don't forget to put the max load pressure in the tyres BEFORE you load it up.
    Too easy to get focused on the pickup and then finding your way back on the highway afterwards and forget to do it. Highway speeds with full load and not enough pressure is bad news, both for the tyres themselves and handling. Been there.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast