Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Lorch welders - opinions wanted

Has anyone used a Lorch welder and can provide an opinion?

I’m in the market for a welder and a generator. A common piece of advice is to ensure the welder doesn’t demand too much power from the generator. Some say the generator should be able to provide double the power that the welder requires.

To date, the smallest welders of any make I’ve considered will require about 8 – 10 kva. That’s a whopping-sized generator. Then I came across something interesting.

One owner of a Lorch claimed he ran 120 amps using it from a 6 kw generator. This individual also said the arc was ‘super smooth.’ I put that statement about power requirement to the manufacturer who confirmed: “Micorstick 160 will run fine on the 6 kva easily...[up] to 150 A DC.”

I can buy a generator that will deliver 9-10 kva that doesn’t need a forklift to move it around the place, which is a key requirement.

The trouble is, Lorch don’t seem to make budget welders. That may be a good thing. I find it strange that most of the popular tool shops don’t stock them. Prices quoted:

Micorstick 160 - $1430
    Microstick 180 - $1804

Lorch welders are expensive, quality industrial grade welders, in the same category as EWM, ESAB and Fronius.

I am not surprised that the popular tool shops do not stock them. Tool shops are very price
    sensitive and cater for the handyman/trade rather than industrial applications.

Look into the EWM pico MMA160 puls - good for long leads, and rated to 230V input down to -40% on that if needed.

10+KvA for a genny for weldling applications is not unheard of - you might get away with a smaller rated generator, but when the welder strikes off and the generator bogs down, it's the voltage drop and 'unclean' power that makes it a problem. So having a voltage drop tolerance in the machine makes for a good buffer.

EWM pico also has a pulsed stick mode, anti-stick, adjustable hot start, good for 6010's if that's your jam. Plus fairly robust and lightweight.
    My EWM Tetrix 230A ACDC tig has the same stick features, and it's one of the best stick burners I've used.

Thanks for the advice - both of you.

I'll check out all of this. I am price-conscious, but the Lorch was the first that a user assured me it can run on a 6 kva generator and something that was confirmed by the company, and that's why I've latched onto it. I will buy a larger generator and the difference between 6 and 10 will be a good buffer.

Honda generator's can be combined to run in parallel meaning for a example you can take 2x 2000watt honda generator's and link them together for 4000watts but you have the mobility of two light weight portable generator's

I tested my old unimig 180amp stick welder on a 2000watt fullboar bunning's silent generator i could only weld up to 40amp's without tripping the breaker, key is to not run the generator on economy mode you should run the generator at full power so the power is ready when you light up

I have a EWM PICOMIG 180 really a 160amp welder i've fallen in love with it but only has a 3 meter gun lead

When i bought my EWM machine it came with the original receipt the first owner got it on special before covid hit and he also snuck a membership deal and bought the machine for just under $2,000 now they are over $4,500 just crazy

Took the plunge. Just waiting for delivery of my Lorch Micorstick 160 welder.