Thread: porosity

Default porosity

I have been making bells using traditional loam mould for some time I have made around 20 bells all with relative success. The last batch looked fantastic when cast but on fettling I discovered they are all riddled with porosity. Does anyone have any suggestions what I may have done wrong this time?
    Here is some pic of how I do the process https://www.stonevahestate.com/bells/

bells6.jpgIMG_20211012_115150.jpg

Hi Vin, I was hoping someone with far more experience than me might reply to your post but having been doing some limited research in preparation for a little bit of yellow metal casting, it seems likely that the porosity is due to an oxidising condition in the melting process, i.e. a lean burn, resulting in gas absorption into the molten metal that is then released after pouring. Did you de-oxidise the molten metal before pouring?
    It would be great if you could post a thread describing how you did the swept molds, even if you used the same photos as your link but with some description attached.

Default Thank

Thanks Pete, the melting has not changed, same fuel, same furnace, same pouring. I do think the problem has to be mould related, unfortunately I continually make small changes making the moulds which has definitely improved the surfaces and out comes till this batch. I feel that just maybe the pug that I seal the cope and mantle with was a little damper than normal. The other thing I have changed was an increase in the amount of horse hair and whether this allows the damp pug to wick moisture up into the mould causing the problem.
    I will post how the process is done in a day or two, just busy at the minute!