Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My goodness the TCM is giving you the run around. Suppose its good to know the gearbox is basically ok apart from worn clutch packs. There appears to be a bit of TCM stuff still around for the older machines. When I rebuilt mine I bought most of the parts over the counter at a forklift parts place in Sydney. I guess they would have similar in melbourne.

"but never a fully floating side gear! This statement seems to indicate something sinister, maybe a collapsed bearing. I find this interesting as mine had a very growly diff when I bought it. It had milky oil in it so I assumed this was the cause. After several flushes all I got was sludge coming out, no metal bits thankfully. Filled it with the thickest gear oil I could find, found some 'Wynns" product to shut up noisy diffs and its been satisfactory for several years now. Still has a bit of a whine though but hasn't got any worse. Its repair is on my 'one day' list.
    Thanks for the gearbox pics, at least I know whats insde it now, I can't wait to see what you find in the diff centre
    . Hope all goes well, a forklift would be real handy at the moment to lift the mast off, they are heavy suckers believe me. Good luck Steve, cheers Ian

Default Any forklift mechanics here?

Hi Kryn,
    I knew it wasn't driving when I bought it. Was supposedly driving fine before it was parked up for a couple of years and the price was right so I figured it was worth a crack. Possibly I've got yellow snow instead of lemon sorbet hey!

If its just the diff then its probably not too big a deal to fix as long as I can get hold of the parts and not have to donate a kidney to pay for them. Sounds like the Chinese cloned these machines and parts are still available so fingers crossed that's all it is and I'm not up for a complete transmission strip and rebuild.

Got the mast off this afternoon. Used the old yard crane to lift it off. Wasn't as difficult as I expected.

Naked!!!

Was about to dig through the 50mm of crud that the brake lines disappear into when we copped a thunderstorm with some decent rain, so that was the end of that!

Steve

After being given the tip that these machines were cloned by the Chinese manufacturers, I found this manual online:
    https://www.forklift.ee/wp-content/u...c_5320_469.pdf

The line drawings of the transmission and diff are very "pre CAD" and seem to be a bit fuzzy, indicating they possibly have a source other than the current manufacturer.
    The transmission drawings look pretty much identical to what I physically have on mine. Even if its not exactly the same it at least gives me a description of how things might work and what the construction inside is likely to be.

Looking at this section view of the diff and reduction gear, the side gear I can see displaced inside fits with what is drawn.
    Its runs directly in the hemisphere, and for it to drop out of its bore then I assume there must be an issue with the planetary gears.

Diff section view.JPG

I guess all will be revealed when I get the housing off. Must remember to drain the oil before I split the casing!!

Steve

So, looks like I have indeed been sold a bucket of yellow snow instead of lemon sorbet!!

Now just have to find a new diff...

Steve

Oh dear Steve, not good news! It appears from the drawing that the bevel gears rotate in a bronze bush and ,are partially supported by the axles , but are the planetry gears rotating on 2 short pins that are fitted into the cage casting? Cant really follow the sectioned drawing . I thought it would have been a single pin?? So has the pin casting broken and allowed the planetry gears fall out of position and into the bottom of the diff housing mashing up the bevel gears during their travel?. Seems diff centre is quite a simple basic setup with the ball bearings supporting the ring gear. Oneday I will pull my diff apart and re-race it. It is probably those ball races that are making all the noise. There shouldnt be too much of an issue getting another centre after all there must be thousands of those lift trucks around that have been pensioned off. Once again I wish you well on your diff hunt and hopefully this will solve all your movement issues.

The cross pin should be one piece, but this one has definitely sheared and is now in 2 pieces. There are a couple of flats machined in each side of the pin, just a bit in from each end. Likely for lubrication reasons. The shear point is at the stress raiser where the flat ends sharply.

The side gears seem to just run steel on steel, but possibly some bronze thrusts behind them. Haven't looked too hard yet.

By the damage on the end of the broken bits and fact that there is one carrier hole in good condition and the other is completely flogged, I'd say th bits of pin stayed in position for a while (not sure exactly how) but eventually one bit of the pin came out cleanly (the good hole in the carrier) and left the other one doing all the work until it eventually failed (the flogged hole). Its strange damage - could even have cracked the inner edge of the hole away due to side load on the pin - but I'll have a better look once its all cleaned up.

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123