Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've recently started using Super Cheap's "Rust converter Primer" (not their "rust converter" in a similar bottle!). It is effectively phosphoric acid, a chelating agent and a primer in one. It is milky colour and turns black where there is rust (presumably ferric phosphate) and slightly shiny when dry. Paint sticks to it like the proverbial to a blanket. It can be sanded and flap wheeled for welding easily. I tried it first after wet blasting some stuff which instantly rusts of course. That was several years ago, and both the subsequent paint coat and the steel are in perfect condition (outside structure). I've used it since for protecting all kinds of steel stuff for storage and eventual painting. It seems to prevent rust for several month stored outside....
    Cheers, Joe
    retired - less energy, more time to contemplate projects and more shed time....

Quote Originally Posted by jhovel View Post
    I've recently started using Super Cheap's "Rust converter Primer" (not their "rust converter" in a similar bottle!). It is effectively phosphoric acid, a chelating agent and a primer in one. It is milky colour and turns black where there is rust (presumably ferric phosphate) and slightly shiny when dry. Paint sticks to it like the proverbial to a blanket. It can be sanded and flap wheeled for welding easily. I tried it first after wet blasting some stuff which instantly rusts of course. That was several years ago, and both the subsequent paint coat and the steel are in perfect condition (outside structure). I've used it since for protecting all kinds of steel stuff for storage and eventual painting. It seems to prevent rust for several month stored outside....

I believe it is the same as the Rustoleum Motorspray rust converter, tannic acid combined with a primer. Great for where there is a light coating of rust in areas that just cannot be reached.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12