Default Restoring my ARM

My inaugural post (more or less on the commencement of my restoration effort)!

Folk may have seen on other posts that I have acquired a Hurcus ARM model - serial # 15668.

So the first thing I did was buy the renovation book from AMH - and what a nice book it is! While I was at it, I bought the lubricating felts - I know I be needing them!

I've been looking at a list of things I will need to get the thing up and running, as well as things I want to get... In doing so, I wanted to seek the collective wisdom of people here:

First up, the lathe has the plain bearing version of the counter-shaft. I suspect unsurprisingly, these bearings are somewhat worn. Is it "usual" practice to swap these out for roller bearings (acknowledging that the counter-shaft pivot/yoke would need to be replaced: mine probably does anyway as at some point it has been broken and welded). What are the pros and cons here?

Second, the diagrams show a guard plate sandwtched between the gears and the gearbox. The Southbend part is PT389NK3, AMH lists it simply as "369", but goes on to describe it as for B and C models. So is this guard for A models also? Or is it different part? Or did the Hercus A model in fact never have this guard?

Lastly on this round, as a generalisation (if such is possible) are screw threads on the lathe UNC, UNF? Or perhaps Whitworth or some other?

Sorry I don't have any pictures to share - it's all pretty much in one piece still!

Cheers now, and stay safe

Geoff B

Counter shaft up to you, but have never heard of it being a must do.
    Threads, UNS, BSPT,BSW,BSF.
    The guard plate is also fitted to the A it stops swarf and fingers getting caught in the change gears, if you didn't want to buy it you could probably make something suitable from a bit of sheet metal or similar ridged material.

Default bearings

Geoff

Somebody did a detailed write up on the roller bearing conversion of the counter shaft . He restored a Hercus and did a blog on it . Do a search maybe
    Hercus 9" Lathe Countershaft Bearings
    Found it

Morrisman - thanks for the link, I will read with interest.

Pipeclay, my thanks also. As I am already missing part of a finger courtesy a table saw, I'll be going for the guard!

Subject to what I might read on the link kindly provided, I suspect I'll stay put with the "plain" counter shaft. I won't be a big time user, so should not put the bearings under strain for days and days at a time - so I suspect once fixed up, they'll probably outlive me! (The reason for my question was really to find out if these were a know weak point.)

Cheers now

Generally only a weak point if not lubed.
    I would suggest that unless you are going to be using the lathe almost continuously for the day to just lube all the oil points once a day, if using continuous twice a day.
    For the back gear only when it's to be used.
    If you a fussy about oil leaking after lubing wipe it up after use or the next day.

I did the bearing upgrade on my ARM which ended up being a lot of work so as you said, easier to stick with the plain bearing type, but i had to machine up the bearing holders and the pivot which AMH had a blank unit then because I wanted to retain the factory look and set up so I put a bush in the pulley and a key way as well, I was lucky that I already had a setup to copy but I am glad that I did it in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images