Default new old sheraton 9" model A!

hey guys!

third time lucky trying to post this and having the whole post disappear! haha

so i scored this sweet old sheraton 9" model A at a swap meet on the weekend. the old gent selling it had it posted on an a4 page pinned to the side of his swap table, i asked about it and what it came with and he gave me a brief rundown. i told him he's batshit crazy and should put more money on it, he said he was happy with the $500, so i took his number just incase, well an hour after getting home i caved haha rang him up, went for a look and by that afternoon it was mine!

i paid him the $500 he was asking and then he throws in all these biscuit tins full of brass, steel and aluminium bar stock. some pic tubes with long lengths of stock and some pieces of delrin, one of the tubes i haven't opened yet haha so who knows what's in it!

chatting with him was good, he was 92 years old, had this for many many years and used to machine parts up for his alvin race car!

i think i got a good deal, was gonna throw another few extra notes in a card and drop it in his letterbox,
    56587558_10161637456710322_3411388773982797824_n.jpg56770755_10161637456770322_1530983415266934784_n.jpg56504148_10161637456785322_1101938426032160768_n.jpg56444942_10161637456795322_3248745389049774080_n.jpg56314598_10161637456845322_8787297307142914048_n.jpg57154506_10161637456665322_1903621001275506688_n.jpg57044233_10161637456685322_6554163202282749952_n.jpg56666854_10161637456700322_8934016306257068032_n.jpg

plans are to build a new work bench for it, on heavy duty castors and a roll cab built in to store the tooling and stock in the draws! possibly a work light too! does anyone know if these can be made to cut metric threads? i know they came as a metric option, would make it a super super handy, and super super cool machine!

i already have an old H&F al330 so maybe ill put that up for sale, its missing some gears but still is a brilliant machine! im not sure which machine would be better to keep... or both? haha

thanks anyway, keen to get as much info as i can on this old battler! and will supply some more close up pics during the week

Sam!

G,day Sam,
    You might have noticed your post was moderated.

No! it is not a pick on the new guy type of thing, but simply something in the software to thwart spammers who join up and on the very first post insert links and pictures.

The software is set to recognise this and requires the first ten post with pics or links for moderation to be moderated.After the ten posts it is not needed.,so post away! I works sometimes but not others ????

One of my work colleagues was a toolmaker and always spoke well of Sheraton lathes as do the fellas here so you should not have trouble.However I would not be in a rush to shed your self of the H&F lathe.

Depending on location off cuts or new stock can be difficult and expensive to obtain.You have some useful stuff there.
    A dedicated bench is a good idea.Consider one with a drawer built in.That makes it so much easier for cleaning & swarf removal.

Cheers
    Grahame

I do not seem to understand your thinking, is it correct that you want to dump a lathe that would only be about 20 yr old, for a bloody boat anchor that's about 50 yrs old.
    At least the AL330 has bearings in it, compared to worn out bronze bushes in the clunker you just bought.
    Could you please rationally explain, what you were thinking when you decided to buy a clunker ?

Well done. I'd say you got a good buy, notwithstanding mardtrp's rude comments.

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
    im not sure which machine would be better to keep... or both?
    Keep both if you have the room.
    Chris

Oh I read past the negative comments! Always fun buying old stuff and getting back up and running to move in to someone who appreciates it!

Finally had time to wire the motor back up and it runs perfect, now Iím chasing new link belts for it, anyone have a link to the belts they use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Metric threads

Something like this will help to cut metric threads (from australianmetalworkinghobbyist)2C01781C-00DC-4A08-867C-5FA9AFCDAE9C.png)
    9AEC5A3A-6A01-4775-9863-F2A4F7806862.png

[QUOTE=mardtrp;1948655]I do not seem to understand your thinking, is it correct that you want to dump a lathe that would only be about 20 yr old, for a bloody boat anchor that's about 50 yrs old.
    At least the AL330 has bearings in it, compared to worn out bronze bushes in the clunker you just bought.
    Could you please rationally explain, what you were thinking when you decided to buy a clunker ?

$500 was a ripper deal
    The Sheraton lathe model shown has roller bearings.
    Use both lathes for a while before making any decisions, then keep both.
    Peter

Finally had time to wire the motor back up and it runs perfect, now Iím chasing new link belts for it, anyone have a link to the belts they use?

I bought Ď Fenner power twistí link belt for my Sheraton from CBC Bearings (airport west)
    Warning - not cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Petip View Post

I bought Ď Fenner power twistí link belt for my Sheraton from CBC Bearings (airport west)
    Warning - not cheap!
    Thanks mate! Iíll check them out!

Finally tracked down some power twist for the old girl, got that on and itís a dream! So smooth!

I also pulled the apron off and gave it a thorough cleaning and re-lubricated it!

Now one thing I did find was the left hand 1/4unc x 3/4Ē bolt that goes into the power feed knurled start/stop wheel was broken and just stuck back in, so I need to track one down!

What thread cutting gears would have came with this from new so I can work out whatís missing and source it before I sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
    Finally tracked down some power twist for the old girl, got that on and itís a dream! So smooth!

I also pulled the apron off and gave it a thorough cleaning and re-lubricated it!

Now one thing I did find was the left hand 1/4unc x 3/4Ē bolt that goes into the power feed knurled start/stop wheel was broken and just stuck back in, so I need to track one down!

What thread cutting gears would have came with this from new so I can work out whatís missing and source it before I sell it?

Hercus use the same bolt

OK I going to chime in here and say, forget any ignorant comments like "clunkers" and such. As a machine tool rebuilder I can say, most assuredly, that old lathes in that condition do not come along very often. I prefer using them (when they are in that sort of shape) much more than I do using more recent Asian machinery. I certainly prefer working on older machines and they are much nicer to scrape and rebuild! A lot of care was put into their construction and fitting! Good as some of the Asian stuff can be (and some of it is good) it's all still made to a budget! You can't escape that fact! In contrast, that lathe that you have now was made to a set of standards! Not to a price point. I know older stuff is not everyones' cup of tea (particularly when they need lots of work to get operational) and that's fine, but given it's condition, I would think VERY long and hard before you decide to sell it!

Great work by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by BrazOmatic View Post
    OK I going to chime in here and say, forget any ignorant comments like "clunkers" and such. As a machine tool rebuilder I can say, most assuredly, that old lathes in that condition do not come along very often. I prefer using them (when they are in that sort of shape) much more than I do using more recent Asian machinery. I certainly prefer working on older machines and they are much nicer to scrape and rebuild! A lot of care was put into their construction and fitting! Good as some of the Asian stuff can be (and some of it is good) it's all still made to a budget! You can't escape that fact! In contrast, that lathe that you have now was made to a set of standards! Not to a price point. I know older stuff is not everyones' cup of tea (particularly when they need lots of work to get operational) and that's fine, but given it's condition, I would think VERY long and hard before you decide to sell it!

Great work by the way!
    I really really do want to keep this lathe but itís a little too small for what I want to be doing. Unless I move on the bigger AL330 that I have, and keep this one.

Iím really unsure what to do! Haha