Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hammer head weight markings

Hi

As I'm having a bit of an OCD moment, I was wondering if there is a convention for where the weight of a hammer head is stamped. I have a few sledge hammers and ball pein hammers to re-handle. Most of these have a weight stamped on them in ounces or pounds on a side where the hole for the handle is rather than on the cheek. I think that a lot of new sledges have the handle inserted from the marked side. Is this usual? Is there a reason for why it's done in a particular way? I know that in most cases for a "symmetrical" style hammer head it makes no difference, just interested, that's all.

Simon

Does not matter where the markings are although it does matter which way you insert the handle as the socket for the handle is tapered

Thanks China,

I am aware of the taper in hammer heads. Are you suggesting that some hammer heads are tapered from one side only? I can't remember ever seeing one, not to say that they don't exist.

As far as the weight marking goes, I can see where its position might be helpful when your put your hammers in a rack. Probably more for a "stocktake" purpose more that anything. I generally grab a hammer that's about the right size for what I want to do rather than worry about how much it weighs. Currently my hammer collection is spread about the workshop sitting on various horizontal surfaces and are mostly lost or misplaced when I want a particular one. I have at least 6 claw hammers, but don't ask me where they all are. I need a hammer rack of some sort, so it makes sense, perhaps to handle the hammer so that the weight shows when it's at home in the rack. My thinking for this is on the wedge side if you store hammers head upwards.... but most of my sledges are stored standing head down on the floor.

Simon

Yes some hammers are tapered in one direction only

different makers had a different place where they would put the weight markings. Hytest sledges generally had it on the side the handle was inserted from. Older cyclone ball peins were on what I call the left hand (side) face, then some later ones are marked in grams on the top large groove/fuller. many other hammer makers also put it on the left hand (side) face.