Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Back to working on the diff, just completed shorting the left side axle today. Had to make sure i cut the axle to the right length. I think i will chuck the two axle parts in the lathe and tack weld and then do a full weld, then weld on a steel sleeve.

Resize of IMG_7754.jpgResize of IMG_7755.jpgResize of IMG_7756.jpgResize of IMG_7757.jpgResize of IMG_7759.jpgResize of IMG_7758.jpg

I guess there's two ways of looking at the sleeve option.
    First is that it should add strength to the joint area, but second is that it creates a reasonable section change with a HAZ at that point. In other words you may have only moved the likely failure point not actually made it stronger.
    Are you planning anything special for the welding or just going to hit it with the MIG?

Out of interest, did you consider just shortening and resplining the shaft?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by OxxAndBert View Post
    I guess there's two ways of looking at the sleeve option.
    First is that it should add strength to the joint area, but second is that it creates a reasonable section change with a HAZ at that point. In other words you may have only moved the likely failure point not actually made it stronger.
    Are you planning anything special for the welding or just going to hit it with the MIG?

Out of interest, did you consider just shortening and resplining the shaft?

Steve
    Yeah i will use the mig, and will notch the ends of the steel sleeves to give it a longer weld instead of a circular weld, it may minimising the chances of it cracking
    I was thinking of respining, it's a bugger to machine off that hard crust and then it would need to get re hardened.

My line of thinking is that a hardened spline will do 500K km's in a standard vehicle without major wear.
    For what you're building I don't think you need that sort of longevity and wear resistance, and just recutting the splines and leaving them as-is would be probably be OK. I wouldn't think the lack of case hardening would affect the strength of the spline itself but I might be wrong.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by OxxAndBert View Post
    My line of thinking is that a hardened spline will do 500K km's in a standard vehicle without major wear.
    For what you're building I don't think you need that sort of longevity and wear resistance, and just recutting the splines and leaving them as-is would be probably be OK. I wouldn't think the lack of case hardening would affect the strength of the spline itself but I might be wrong.

Steve
    The diameters changes along the length of the axle, so once i cut to size and machine to the correct diameter i will lose the case hardening. I found out when i machine and drilled the hole on the left axle it was a lot easier to work with once the case hardening was removed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123