Default A 2.2Kw VFD for $100

Hi all,

After sharing a VFD between two milling machines for too long it was time to pull the trigger on a dedicated VFD for my Pacific mill. It's been a while since I bought a VFD. All my previous VFD purchases have been Huanyang brands and I have only ever had good experiences with them. They tend to get a bad wrap on some forums (in fact some US forums have banned the discussion of these) but they do what I want them to do. Anyway, to my surprise there are now VFD's on ebay that are even cheaper than the Huanyang. One such brand is Isacon, in fact they may all be this brand but it's difficult to know. There have been discussions on this forum and elsewhere regarding Isacon VFD's with mixed reviews.

One thing to notice is that these cheaper VFd's seem to have less flexibility compared to HY equivalent. In fact they only have about half the number of parameters available for programming. This may not be a massive contraint if your requirements are rather straight forward such as would be the case on a lathe, mill or SG etc. Quality of internal components such as capacitors may also be compromised but who would know?

One concern I did have regarding these cheaper VFD's is that there seems to be no way of adjusting the carrier frequency. They seem to do everything else I need. The reason this concerns me is that when I was setting up my very first HY VFD, it took me some mucking around with this parameter before I managed to get the motor to run quietly without a noticable whine. SO I figured it's probably a nice parameter to be able to control.

I then came across this ebay offering.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-2KW-3H...72.m2749.l2649

It's definately not a huanyang as the electrical schematic is drawn slightly different eventhough the pinouts seem to be the same. However, it does claim to have a selectable carrier frequency. So, for around the $100 delivered I bought one.

Hopefully I should have it at least roughed in, programmed and tested in a couple of weeks so I can report on my findings. Long term reliability will remain to be seen.

Simon
    Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that." I mean, you tell me you're, uh, super-mega-ultra-lightning babe? That's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good.

I use one of them (well it looks exactly the same) for my vehicle hoist.
    Does the job, but doesn't get a lot of use. It was installed about 8-12 months ago.

If I remember correctly the "overload current" setting (or something like that) was set for a smaller capacity VFD and would cause the VFD to cut out when the load hit that point. I increased the setting to what I thought it should have been for this VFD and haven't had an issue since.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Definitely an attractive price for an application that doesn't need all the bells and whistles.
    Following with interest.

Steve

BobL is online now Member: Blue and white apron brigade

Whatever you buy make sure you get to see the manual before hand to make sure you can read and understand it. Over in the woodies forum we've seen a couple of members caught out with 2 page manuals written in chinglese.

I've upgraded 3 of my machines (MW lathe, WW lathe and DP) for HY's to Powtrans and installed 2 powtrans on my small mill. For $20-$30 more than the superbudget end VFDs you get a fully featured industrial strength VFD with a decent manual and excellent factory support. To Fund these I've been selling off the HY's for half price so it has not been an expensive exercise.

I don't think they allow vector control though, i'd probably pay the little bit extra it costs. Though if you plan to run it at a fixed frequency or don't plan to run very low speeds it probably won't matter too much.

Thanks for the info guys.

It definately won't have vector control but my experience has been that I have not needed it... yet. My first VFD project was my geared head mill. I replaced the 2 HP single phase motor with a 3HP 3 phase. Since the motor was a bit over the top power wise (for the rigidity of the machine) I have not noticed any loss of power at lower frequency. In fact even at 5Hz, which I use as a jog function, I still cannot stall the motor with my hand in the lower gear selection.

The pacific mill has infinately variable speed control with the cone pulley CV setup and it works nicely so I intend to run the mill at 50Hz. No need to vary the frequency for day to day use unless I want to run it as some weird or wonderful speed, even so, it won't be a huge variation from the 50Hz either way.

All I really need is the usual ramp up speed, coasting stop and jog.

If I'm seriously not happy with it then my backup plan is to send it onto my shaper and just purchase a "genuine" HY for the mill.

WRT the manual, if it's the same PD setup as the Isacon then it's not a biggie as I have google searched and found a manual of similar "quality" as the HY manual.

Will soon find out. I'm quite curious what $100 and half the price of a HY gets you.

Simon
    Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that." I mean, you tell me you're, uh, super-mega-ultra-lightning babe? That's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    industrial strength VFD with a decent manual and excellent factory support.
    I could not get customer support from powtran, they ignored my email requests for help.
    What email address do you use Bob?

Simon I bought 3 x 2.2kw Isacon VFD's for 86 bucks each delivered from ebay, they seem to work well for me.
    I like the minimalist manual supplied with them also, the powtran manual does my head in as it is alien tech to me.
    I use one for the 1 1/2 hp 6 pole motor on my little mill and one for a 2,2kw spindle motor that goes to 400hz
    the other is waiting to be used elsewhere but i have used it on occasions.

cheers, shed

BobL is online now Member: Blue and white apron brigade

Quote Originally Posted by shedhappens View Post
    I could not get customer support from powtran, they ignored my email requests for help.
    What email address do you use Bob?
    oversea-sales6@powtran.com mark it for attention to Nicole.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    oversea-sales6@powtran.com mark it for attention to Nicole.