Hi Guys,

I've had a good day in the workshop and got a few things done.

25-01-2020-001.jpg 25-01-2020-002.JPG
A couple of pictures of the mounted worm. I've temporarily used M6 cap screws to secure the brass bearing pieces. I will dig out the countersunk screws later. I wanted to fit things together to see how it looked, in the flesh so to speak, rather than a drawing. Surprisingly when you take the twist out of the brass bearings, the worm turns very well. If it looks like the worm is not square to the bottom of the back plate, it isn't ! Its a whole millimetre high on the right. Probably as a result of not getting the 3 mm depth of thread cut into the wheel.

If I were going to do this again, I would definitely mill a 6.5 or 7 mm diameter groove in the edge of the wheel and also just use a shaft to mount the wheel for hobbing the teeth. I still think fitting ball bearings in there is a good idea, but I would hob the teeth first, then bore the hub to suit the bearings.

25-01-2020-004.JPG 25-01-2020-003.JPG
This is the wheel in place. It only just clears the brass bearings ! I can slide a 10 thou feeler gauge in there so I know there is clearance. And I can fit the wheel and slide the hub pin in without it binding.

I've yet to make an aluminium knob to fit the 5 mm diameter shaft to turn the worm. I haven't decided yet whether to calibrate the knob or to calibrate the wheel. I think it would make more sense to calibrate the wheel in degrees of angle, where as the knob would be easier calibrated in thou's.

Right that's it for now. Thanks Guys for following along.