Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    8

    Thumbs up

    Thanks a lot RustyArc. Iíll use this to poke the H&F people. Given you are getting about 1/4 turn stop on 100rpm (which is pretty much exactly what I was expecting based on your last timings) I do wonder if they have an old model on the floor heís using or the NZ stuff is different.

    Cheers,
    James.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    What's a little frustrating about stopping from low speed is that most of the "braking" effect occurs at the start, and tapers off as the spindle slows, as the current through the braking resistor drops off, kind of opposite to a mechanical brake.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thatís interesting and makes sense. I know from the VFD on my Mill I can configure it to do DC injection braking. To force the spindle into a stop at the end of the ramp down. Iím not sure you can do the same on this lathe setup with the resistor in place.

    Mind you the hard stopping really only matters for threading and if you can disengage the halfnut then its less of an issue. See this video for a cunning technique to be able to utilise half nut disengagement for imperial threads on the metric lead screw.
    https://youtu.be/HXt4TWa382Q

    Cheers,
    J.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
    I know from the VFD on my Mill I can configure it to do DC injection braking. To force the spindle into a stop at the end of the ramp down.
    I have the manual for the VFD - I wonder if there is a DC injection option... That said, my previous attempts at futzing with the drive settings have been unsuccessful.

    Thanks for the YouTube link - I was subscribed to his channel, but after a while got a bit narked at his rambling delivery and incessant use of "m'kay?".

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    8

    Default

    lol. Yeah Tom can be a bit of a rambler. But there some gems in there so a little bit of patience can pay off. If you are looking for some hard core no mucking about advice on machining techniques check out Joe Pieczynski ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpp...XO_FZYJppaFa5w ) and of course the ever popular and I find entertaining and educational:
    Clickspring: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwo...Sx6R6-BnIjS2MA
    Abom79: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...Ve7pH3R6C3Gcng
    This Old Tony: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5N...KHAWXp6z8Xl7yQ

    There are others but these guys are pretty good.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyArc View Post
    I have the manual for the VFD - I wonder if there is a DC injection option...
    There is such an option. The parameters 10,11,12 control this. See bottom of page 48 for the manual.

    It would be interesting to see what the values currently are for these. The default has DC braking kick in at 3Hz for 0.5 secs at 4% of voltage. I would hope it would be kicking in at a higher frequency, for a bit longer and for more strength.

    Cheers.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
    lol. Yeah Tom can be a bit of a rambler. But there some gems in there so a little bit of patience can pay off. If you are looking for some hard core no mucking about advice on machining techniques check out Joe Pieczynski ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpp...XO_FZYJppaFa5w ) and of course the ever popular and I find entertaining and educational:
    Clickspring: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwo...Sx6R6-BnIjS2MA
    Abom79: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...Ve7pH3R6C3Gcng
    This Old Tony: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5N...KHAWXp6z8Xl7yQ

    There are others but these guys are pretty good.
    Subbed to all those and more. That's how I learned how to lathe.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
    There is such an option. The parameters 10,11,12 control this. See bottom of page 48 for the manual.

    It would be interesting to see what the values currently are for these. The default has DC braking kick in at 3Hz for 0.5 secs at 4% of voltage. I would hope it would be kicking in at a higher frequency, for a bit longer and for more strength.
    I'll crawl in behind the machine when I get a chance and check out the parameter values.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    8

    Default I did it - pulled the buy trigger

    My AL346V is sitting at the depo waiting on the final leg of its journey to the garage.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
    My AL346V is sitting at the depo waiting on the final leg of its journey to the garage.
    Exciting times. Do you have a plan for getting it into place?

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    James u asked on the last page if these machines can cut 2 to 3mm material i take off easily 1mm sometimes by mistake 2mm from the OD of steel on my toy lathe, These huge machines should be able to peel a lot of material off easily I'd imagine

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyArc View Post
    Exciting times. Do you have a plan for getting it into place?
    Yup. Just rented a lockup shed so I can get a lot of excess "junk" out of the garage and do a total re-org and refurb. So not doing things by halves. New lathe with a COMPLETE remodel of the garage layout.

    At the moment waiting for a quote to get the thing delivered as decided collecting it on the trailer was going to be false economy. Also borrowed a mates engine crane and have some proper 1T lifting straps on order. That will allow managing not around the garage.

    J.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
    At the moment waiting for a quote to get the thing delivered as decided collecting it on the trailer was going to be false economy. Also borrowed a mates engine crane and have some proper 1T lifting straps on order. That will allow managing not around the garage.
    If you've seen my MH-28V thread, I've got tractors and a Dingo and all manner of lifting options, but at ~600kg, long, awkward, top-heavy, and needing to fit through a 820 wide doorway, I coughed up the local dealer's $300 fee. For that they de-crated the machine, fitted feet, ran it up and tested it, then fitted their custom adjustable machine dolly and delivered it on their tilt-tray, threaded it through the doorway and set it in place.

    My new mill was only 240kg, so an engine crane handled that easily (although the front castors become very hard to swivel with that load suspended at the crane's longest extension). My concern with an engine crane and that lathe is that for its mass, you can't extend the crane arm very far, so things might get a bit tight. I'm sure it's doable though.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    8

    Default

    A good mate has an AL336 which weight/size wise is essentially the same. Ive borrowed his crane and heíll help me get things setup/moved. Heís been through this twice now (due to house moving) with his lathe, so knows what to do. Fortunately Iím coming in through a double garage door. So lots of space. 😇

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th Jul 2013, 01:24 AM
  2. Any Atlas Lathe and Drummond Lathe Owners out there?
    By j.ashburn in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th Apr 2013, 06:22 PM
  3. SOLD: Lathe for Lathe Drill Mill (Near Liverpool NSW)
    By Auskart in forum METALWORK - Machinery, Equipment, MARKET
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29th Jun 2010, 07:02 PM
  4. Buying a lathe (Old massive Lathe, or New small C6 Lathe)
    By Ch4iS in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th Mar 2009, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •