Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Drouin Vic
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    When I checked a few years back it turned out they were just assembling them from Asian made components. Still a good product though. I'd buy one in my Clisby died.


    Italian made doesn't mean much. My Italian Cousin makes electric motors and stamps made in Italy on them but the components are made in Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania.

    I'm ok with that- I'm not xenophobic, just sinophobic

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Flinders Ranges
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Italian made doesn't mean much. My Italian Cousin makes electric motors and stamps made in Italy on them but the components are made in Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania.
    In the same manner that Ďassembled right here in Brisbaneí means SFA..

    Iíve sort of adopted the position that if I canít buy Australian made, I will buy Australian assembled because at least on some level that means a business is employing Australian workers. However I have no qualms in cutting out the middleman if the quality isnít there against the straight out import.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Freo
    Age
    67
    Posts
    125

    Default

    does anyone know what material is used to form the seals/rings in these silent type compressors. I was given one by a dopey mate that had it beside him while spray painting. Needless to say it ingested a lot of overspray and stuffed up the seals. I have tried a couple of slippery plastics like nylon but they don't last long. I would love to resurrect it
    Super cheap and repco both had a Stanly 2 motor version on sale for a bit over $400 so i picked one up as i can have it inside the shed and not drive me nuts.
    Bloody mobile photos rotated
    IMG_20220503_140834_MP.jpg

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Flinders Ranges
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    https://www.hireexpress.com.au/files...s/110010_O.pdf

    If by seals you are referring to the piston ring, part 13 in the exploded diagram on page 7 then itís probably something along the lines of carbon impregnated Teflon

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldbuggermike View Post
    these silent type compressors.
    I bought one of those Stanley units from Supercheap. I have no idea what the comparison must be to call these things ďsilentĒ, but it must be something like a jet engine, as itís not term Iíd use to describe it. Theyíre pretty damn loud, at best similar to a belt drive, but at a higher pitch. Would be curious to see how the Chicago units compare.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Freo
    Age
    67
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyArc View Post
    I bought one of those Stanley units from Supercheap. I have no idea what the comparison must be to call these things ďsilentĒ, but it must be something like a jet engine, as itís not term Iíd use to describe it. Theyíre pretty damn loud, at best similar to a belt drive, but at a higher pitch. Would be curious to see how the Chicago units compare.
    did you install the little black air boxes. it was very loud without them. With the boxes on i can have a normal conversation without any problems

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racingtadpole View Post
    I have the older model of one of these (130l tank instead of the 150).
    It keeps up with my blast cabinet, and both HVLP and suction paint sprayers.
    Its not Aus made though.
    Its more efficient, so more free air delivery, itís quieter (can have a conversation a metre away from it while is running without yelling).
    I bought mine back in 2012, Iíve had no issues with it
    https://sydneytools.com.au/product/c...air-compressor
    A mate of mine has one similar to this and it's brilliant.

    His has 3 motors and depending on the required air needed, you can run 1,2 or all 3 motors. Very quiet too.

    If I was in the market for a compressor I would be looking at a similar unit.

    Simon

    Sent from a galaxy far far away
    Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that." I mean, you tell me you're, uh, super-mega-ultra-lightning babe? That's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Drouin Vic
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Had a couple of brief opportunities in a very busy day today, got to have a look at a few in two different shops . The Chicago Air is looking like the lead contender at this stage.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bungama SA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Did you see the new Peerless 240v scroll type compressor?

    I've got the Peerless P20 high flow Fatboy, 110lt tank 3.5hp 240v/15A works pretty good but does seem to be a little bit lower quality compared to my old Clisby "RIP"
    ....................................................................

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    Did you see the new Peerless 240v scroll type compressor?

    I've got the Peerless P20 high flow Fatboy, 110lt tank 3.5hp 240v/15A works pretty good but does seem to be a little bit lower quality compared to my old Clisby "RIP"
    Looks the business but price appears to be around $6000

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    Did you see the new Peerless 240v scroll type compressor?

    I've got the Peerless P20 high flow Fatboy, 110lt tank 3.5hp 240v/15A works pretty good but does seem to be a little bit lower quality compared to my old Clisby "RIP"
    I love my Clisby 12

    Sent from a galaxy far far away
    Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that." I mean, you tell me you're, uh, super-mega-ultra-lightning babe? That's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Drouin Vic
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Yes the peerless screw compressor looks great but 4 or 5 times the price of a piston unit of similar output. Not sure who it's aimed at but it aint me, not even 'maybe one day'..

    I've been wondering about those units with multiple heads that can be individually switched on or off; what advantage is there when you're filling the same tank? Wouldn't switching one off just increase cycle time, take the same amount of energy to put the same amount of air in the tank over a longer time? If you could also shut down half the tank when requiring less air, I could see the sense in that but I'm wondering if this is just a gimmick?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Flinders Ranges
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Whilst I can turn the power heads on mine on and off individually, I donít. Likely you wonít either if you buy one.
    The advantage of the individual heads is that if in the event of things getting hot it goes into thermal cut off, itís only the head thatís at that point that stops. Iíve only seen that happen twice, both times on days over 40 and the compressor had been running for an extended period.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    York, North Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    5,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete O View Post
    Yes the peerless screw compressor looks great but 4 or 5 times the price of a piston unit of similar output. Not sure who it's aimed at but it aint me, not even 'maybe one day'..

    I've been wondering about those units with multiple heads that can be individually switched on or off; what advantage is there when you're filling the same tank? Wouldn't switching one off just increase cycle time, take the same amount of energy to put the same amount of air in the tank over a longer time? If you could also shut down half the tank when requiring less air, I could see the sense in that but I'm wondering if this is just a gimmick?
    Hi Pete Guys,

    Venting half the heads would reduce the electrical power consumption, in theory by half. In practice probably less than a third. Otherwise your assumptions are about right !
    Best Regards:
    Baron J.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,776

    Default

    Less noise if you have neighbours close by and you want to run it at night.

    Simon

    Sent from a galaxy far far away
    Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that." I mean, you tell me you're, uh, super-mega-ultra-lightning babe? That's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lathe shopping
    By Raggsie in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 25th Jan 2022, 10:12 AM
  2. TIG Shopping List
    By NedsHead in forum WELDING
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 23rd Oct 2020, 07:04 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10th Feb 2015, 10:13 PM
  4. What criteria do you use when shopping for tools?
    By Grahame Collins in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 22nd Sep 2014, 07:49 PM
  5. Shopping for a new lathe
    By th62 in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 16th Jul 2013, 12:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •