Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: drill doctor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    113

    Default drill doctor

    hi
    have been thinking about buying a drill doctor model 750. have many of you used them
    if so do you recommend them or not
    cheers steve

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    Hi there,

    I have the DD750. They are expensive, overpriced IMO. I bought a 110v version for a good price from the US so I can't complain and for the price I paid im happy with it.

    The drill bit holder does seem a little flimsy and can flex during use which I find annoying. I suspect that if you want ultra precisely sharpened drill bits then there are probably better built machines. But the cost/quality ratio is about right for me.

    DD750 fits the bill for me.

    I have replaced the diamond wheel once.

    Cheers,

    Simon

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that." I mean, you tell me you're, uh, super-mega-ultra-lightning babe? That's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    113

    Default drill doctor

    Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    Hi there,

    I have the DD750. They are expensive, overpriced IMO. I bought a 110v version for a good price from the US so I can't complain and for the price I paid im happy with it.

    The drill bit holder does seem a little flimsy and can flex during use which I find annoying. I suspect that if you want ultra precisely sharpened drill bits then there are probably better built machines. But the cost/quality ratio is about right for me.

    DD750 fits the bill for me.

    I have replaced the diamond wheel once.

    Cheers,

    Simon

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

    hi
    thanks simon i forgot to ask will it work on taper shank drills

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaper07 View Post
    hi
    thanks simon i forgot to ask will it work on taper shank drills
    No, the holding fixture is really only suitable for jobber drills and the like. I have the DD750 as well but I find that it's a lot easier and faster to sharpen drills freehand on a grinder.

  5. #5
    elanjacobs is online now Apprentice gear maker and machine doctor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    30
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Newman View Post
    I find that it's a lot easier and faster to sharpen drills freehand on a grinder.
    And it's just a good skill to have

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    Correct, it is a good skill to have.

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Girl, I don't wanna know about your mild-mannered alter ego or anything like that." I mean, you tell me you're, uh, super-mega-ultra-lightning babe? That's all right with me. I'm good. I'm good.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South of Adelaide
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaper07 View Post
    hi
    thanks simon i forgot to ask will it work on taper shank drills
    yes it will, i do it all the time on mine.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snapatap View Post
    yes it will, i do it all the time on mine.
    Interesting, I wouldn't have thought that the blades in the holder would get a secure enough grip on the taper, what size taper are you using? All my taper drills are MT3 so a bit big for the DD.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South of Adelaide
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Newman View Post
    Interesting, I wouldn't have thought that the blades in the holder would get a secure enough grip on the taper, what size taper are you using? All my taper drills are MT3 so a bit big for the DD.
    ? it grips on the flutes of the drill not on the taper. every drill i have over 13mm is taper shank.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snapatap View Post
    ? it grips on the flutes of the drill not on the taper. every drill i have over 13mm is taper shank.
    D'oh, seniors moment - of course it does. It shows how long it is since I've used mine!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    113

    Default drill doctor

    Quote Originally Posted by snapatap View Post
    yes it will, i do it all the time on mine.
    okay
    thanks to everyone for your replies
    steve

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Picnic Point, Sydney
    Age
    73
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Can these drill doctors be set up to sharpen sheet metal & flat bottom drills or are you limited to the usual angles?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Murray Bridge S Aust.
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,764

    Default

    You're limited to the usual angles, as far as I'm aware.
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Picnic Point, Sydney
    Age
    73
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I just watched a video on using one of these things. The cost for a start is frightening for what isn't much more than a toy. Sharpening drills correctly really is easy and quick. Don't waste your money but spend 5 minutes on a lesson with someone who knows what they're doing.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Age
    66
    Posts
    232

    Default drill grinder again

    Hello to all.
    If anyone is interested in a good drill grinding attachment I suggest Hemingway kits in the UK. They sell a kit for the Potts jig for 65 pommy pounds. It adjusts for different diameter drills buy placing the shank between 2 fingers to set the size. This controls the extension past the pivot point. 4 facet and split points can be ground with a simple jig I showed in a previous post. Just angle iron and a bracket and the results are certain.
    Regards
    BC

Similar Threads

  1. Drill Doctor repairs
    By KBs PensNmore in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29th Nov 2020, 03:20 PM
  2. Drill Doctor
    By drsed in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18th Apr 2012, 09:14 PM
  3. Drill Doctor?
    By Pete F in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th Nov 2009, 10:50 PM
  4. Is there a chuck doctor in the house?
    By neksmerj in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 19th Oct 2007, 01:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •