Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Qualos lathe

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default Qualos lathe

    Hi all new member
    Just purchased a Qualos lathe and will be cleaning it up. i want to change the oil in the head stock
    and was just wanting to know what brand and type of oil i would need to use to fill it back up.
    All help appreciated.20191023_165200.jpg20191023_165155.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Nambour Queensland
    Age
    61
    Posts
    86

    Default

    That's a guess as I don't know of any information you could use in regard to these lathes. I used a light gearbox oil I think 50 weight. Any straight weight oil would be ok as long as its not to thick. There are not to many people with a qualos i am one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Werribee, Melbourne
    Posts
    154

    Default

    The operators manual for the Qualos 5 1/4" Centre Lathe lists Vacuum Vactra Heavy for the headstock - I'm not familiar with a modern equivalent but I'm sure Mr Google could help.

    PM me if you want a .pdf of that Operators guide - not too much in it but might be of use?

    As you were - I thought it was too big to attach but it appears not.

    Qualos Swing Lathe Operators Handbook (1).pdf

    Ray

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default Qualos headstock oil

    Contacted a oil supplier and gave them info on the oil that is to be used in the qualos lathe.they matched it with another brand and will get it down in about 2 weeks.
    But can only order it in 20 litres
    So all good.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Nambour Queensland
    Age
    61
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Stevens View Post
    Contacted a oil supplier and gave them info on the oil that is to be used in the qualos lathe.they matched it with another brand and will get it down in about 2 weeks.
    But can only order it in 20 litres
    So all good.
    thats a lot of oil, it will last you decades. did you get any interesting attachments with yours, the info i have mentions a few but i have never seen any.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Yes it is a lot of oil.dont think I will run out 🤗 as for extras not that I'm aware of.has a 4 jaw Chuck that someone said was rare to find on this lathe.all new to me . A couple of small things missing when i look at the setup of pictures of this type of lathe.
    Nearly have it all cleaned up will post some pictures when I've finished.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hards2u View Post
    thats a lot of oil, it will last you decades. did you get any interesting attachments with yours, the info i have mentions a few but i have never seen any.
    Do you have a qualos

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-s View Post
    The operators manual for the Qualos 5 1/4" Centre Lathe lists Vacuum Vactra Heavy for the headstock - I'm not familiar with a modern equivalent but I'm sure Mr Google could help.

    PM me if you want a .pdf of that Operators guide - not too much in it but might be of use?

    As you were - I thought it was too big to attach but it appears not.

    Qualos Swing Lathe Operators Handbook (1).pdf

    Ray
    Yes already have the guide
    Thanks ray

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Nambour Queensland
    Age
    61
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Stevens View Post
    Do you have a qualos
    Yes I have a 5 1/2 aswell, in good condition slowly repairing and upgrading as I go. Not many people have them and parts don't seem to pop up at all, but it's the best lathe I have ever had.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hards2u View Post
    Yes I have a 5 1/2 aswell, in good condition slowly repairing and upgrading as I go. Not many people have them and parts don't seem to pop up at all, but it's the best lathe I have ever had.
    Have you taken the headstock top off to look into the gears.i would like to check inside and give it a good clean before I put new oil in.
    Only has 4 bolts on it but not sure if the gear change lever is connected to anything.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Nambour Queensland
    Age
    61
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Stevens View Post
    Have you taken the headstock top off to look into the gears.i would like to check inside and give it a good clean before I put new oil in.
    Only has 4 bolts on it but not sure if the gear change lever is connected to anything.
    Yes it's really just a plate, lift the top off and you will see the setup it's just a case of putting it back the same no problem. Thanks to Ray again for the file it's been pasted around to everyone that needs it , just a shame there are no records to confirm a manufacture date or little things like correct paint colour etc.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hards2u View Post
    Yes it's really just a plate, lift the top off and you will see the setup it's just a case of putting it back the same no problem. Thanks to Ray again for the file it's been pasted around to everyone that needs it , just a shame there are no records to confirm a manufacture date or little things like correct paint colour etc.
    Ok thanks will try it when my next days off.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Stevens View Post
    Ok thanks will try it when my next days off.
    Ok taken the top off there was silicone put on as a seal is that normal and does it have to go back on.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Nambour Queensland
    Age
    61
    Posts
    86

    Default

    A gasket is only going to stop splashing from the oil when operating. I would make a gasket myself but I don't like silicone in anything at all. Myself I would make a gasket from cork type materials only because I have some. A bit of oil weeping is not a bad thing. I wipe mine down with oil to stop rusting as a rule.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hards2u View Post
    A gasket is only going to stop splashing from the oil when operating. I would make a gasket myself but I don't like silicone in anything at all. Myself I would make a gasket from cork type materials only because I have some. A bit of oil weeping is not a bad thing. I wipe mine down with oil to stop rusting as a rule.

    Removed the head stock plate and remade a new gasket. i was surprised that it was so clean inside. Also i have a gear on the back that is missing a sleeve or bolt to hold it on. not sure what should be there.get this fixed and its ready to go back together.
    20191214_113543.jpg20191214_122922.jpg20191214_122936.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. QUALOS lathe
    By morrisman in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 23rd Apr 2022, 06:12 PM
  2. Who Has a Qualos lathe?
    By DSEL74 in forum ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE MACHINERY
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 8th Dec 2019, 07:33 PM
  3. Qualos Lathe gears..etc
    By kenny_10 in forum WANTED TO BUY
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th Feb 2018, 09:26 PM
  4. Qualos Junior lathe
    By kenny_10 in forum ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE MACHINERY
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21st Feb 2017, 04:50 PM
  5. Qualos Junior metal lathe
    By dadrock in forum EBAY, GUMTREE, and other off forum sales sites
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th Jun 2016, 09:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •