Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth WA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    6,459

    Default GMF Grinder - Capacitor Mounting Query ( and a hopeful scrounge )

    I have an 8" grinder that apart from needing a lick of paint, has a loose capacitor. Originally it was soldered to a strap which in turn was fixed, maybe spot welded, to a cover plate. The capacitor appears to be in OK condition and I would like to fix it in its intended position. It had been pushed up amongst the wiring and was probably like it for at least the past twenty years. I can't re-solder it in place so I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of strap.

    Here's the question, given the grinder's age which I would imagine to be at least 40 years, should I replace the capacitor with a new equivalent?

    Fortunately the broken Ring-Grip switch is identical to some switches I removed from a Rowco GPO. The grinder's switch had one 1/8" BSW fixing nut missing. The remaining nut is one of those cheap stamped out things. It measures .250" across the flats. I have had a fruitless search on Ebay AU, USA and UK. I'm wondering if anyone may have a spare, possibly languishing in a Vegemite jar on a shelf in their shed, that they would be prepared to part company with. If someone does, I will forward them a stamped self addressed envelope to minimise any inconvenience. If not, I'll make one.

    Bob.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    The remaining nut is one of those cheap stamped out things. It measures .250" across the flats. I have had a fruitless search on Ebay AU, USA and UK. I'm wondering if anyone may have a spare, possibly languishing in a Vegemite jar on a shelf in their shed, that they would be prepared to part company with. If someone does, I will forward them a stamped self address envelope to minimise any inconvenience. If not, I'll make one.

    Bob.
    I'll have a look at work Bob. Needless to say we have everything Whitworth at work although sadly, British Standard Whitworth is steadily creeping in.

    Phil

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southern Highlands NSW
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    I have some. Send me your address and I'll post 'em.

    Jordan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,093

    Default

    Hi BT,
    You're after a pressed unplated nut? Or will a machined plated nut do? Assuming no one else can find one?

    There is a difference between Whitworth and British Standard Whitworth??

    Stuart

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stustoys View Post

    There is a difference between Whitworth and British Standard Whitworth??

    Stuart
    Thought you'ld never ask Stuart.
    The nuts, and bolt heads on Whitworth are bigger than BSW.
    They had to save on steel during World War 2 so re-designed a bit and came up with BSW.

    Phil

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    I have an 8" grinder that apart from needing a lick of paint, has a loose capacitor. Originally it was soldered to a strap which in turn was fixed, maybe spot welded, to a cover plate. The capacitor appears to be in OK condition and I would like to fix it in its intended position. It had been pushed up amongst the wiring and was probably like it for at least the past twenty years. I can't re-solder it in place so I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of strap.

    Here's the question, given the grinder's age which I would imagine to be at least 40 years, should I replace the capacitor with a new equivalent?

    Fortunately the broken Ring-Grip switch is identical to some switches I removed from a Rowco GPO. The grinder's switch had one 1/8" BSW fixing nut missing. The remaining nut is one of those cheap stamped out things. It measures .250" across the flats. I have had a fruitless search on Ebay AU, USA and UK. I'm wondering if anyone may have a spare, possibly languishing in a Vegemite jar on a shelf in their shed, that they would be prepared to part company with. If someone does, I will forward them a stamped self address envelope to minimise any inconvenience. If not, I'll make one.

    Bob.
    Hi Bob.
    yes I recommend you to replace that old oil cap with the new one ( motor stater type).
    nice grinder by the ways,

    Peter

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Far West Wimmera
    Age
    63
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    I have hundreds of them as I am a bit of a magpie when it comes to nuts and bolts (anything really). Hardly ever use them and happy to assist.

    Dean

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southern Highlands NSW
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    I'm always wary of old capacitors, transformers, fluoro ballasts and the like, in case they might contain a chemical called Polychlorinated biphenyl, or PCB, which was used for its excellent insulation property. It's reportedly a cumulative toxin and not nice stuff.

    Jordan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth WA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    6,459

    Default

    Put those jars back Boys, I've sent Jordan a PM. Thank you all for your kind offers. And thank you Phil for that BSW enlightenment.

    Now comes the tricky bit. If I replace the tin capacitor what do I replace it with?

    BT

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southern Highlands NSW
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    If I replace the tin capacitor what do I replace it with?
    Ask for a cap suitable for capacitor start induction motors.
    Look for one with the same specs as printed on your existing cap - 4 microfarads and 440 volts AC.

    Jordan

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Put those jars back Boys, I've sent Jordan a PM. Thank you all for your kind offers. And thank you Phil for that BSW enlightenment.

    Now comes the tricky bit. If I replace the tin capacitor what do I replace it with?

    BT
    Hi BT.
    something's like these will do the job.
    Motor Capacitors 2uF 4uF 8uF 10uF 12uF 16uF 20uF | eBay

    Peter

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Far West Wimmera
    Age
    63
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Put those jars back Boys, I've sent Jordan a PM. Thank you all for your kind offers. And thank you Phil for that BSW enlightenment.

    Now comes the tricky bit. If I replace the tin capacitor what do I replace it with?

    BT
    They are actually in a new fangled plastic drawer set. I have given up on the jars. My father used to nail the lids under a shelf to hold them out of the way but visible.

    For those who don't know, another useful fact about Whitworth, related to Phils comment. The size of a Whitworth spanner is the diameter of the bolt in use. Ie 5/16" W fits the nut or bolt head for a 5/16" bolt. Except when they redesigned during WW2 they dropped down a nut/bolt head size so now the size of the spanner is one size bigger than the nut/bolt head. A 5/16" bolt requires a 1/4" spanner.

    A couple of years ago I inherited a heap of my fathers Whitworth spanners after my mother did a final clean up when selling the house. I also have a socket set that I have had for 35 years which includes Whitworth. Sometimes they come in handy.

    End of Useless Useful information.

    Dean

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth WA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    6,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldneweng View Post
    They are actually in a new fangled plastic drawer set. I have given up on the jars. My father used to nail the lids under a shelf to hold them out of the way but visible.

    For those who don't know, another useful fact about Whitworth, related to Phils comment. The size of a Whitworth spanner is the diameter of the bolt in use. Ie 5/16" W fits the nut or bolt head for a 5/16" bolt. Except when they redesigned during WW2 they dropped down a nut/bolt head size so now the size of the spanner is one size bigger than the nut/bolt head. A 5/16" bolt requires a 1/4" spanner.

    A couple of years ago I inherited a heap of my fathers Whitworth spanners after my mother did a final clean up when selling the house. I also have a socket set that I have had for 35 years which includes Whitworth. Sometimes they come in handy.

    End of Useless Useful information.

    Dean
    I didn't know about the WW2 resizing. Now I know the background behind the double size marking on some of my spanners. Nailed lids were pretty common in the old days. Jars dangling down full of stuff to good to sling out. I have my old man's Sidchrome Whitworth socket set, he probably bought them in the late fifties, I used them on a AJS and a BSA in the '70s, now they fit some of the Hercus bolts.

    BT

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Athelstone, SA 5076
    Posts
    4,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    I didn't know about the WW2 resizing. Now I know the background behind the double size marking on some of my spanners. Nailed lids were pretty common in the old days. Jars dangling down full of stuff to good to sling out. I have my old man's Sidchrome Whitworth socket set, he probably bought them in the late fifties, I used them on a AJS and a BSA in the '70s, now they fit some of the Hercus bolts.

    BT
    did you know that 5/16 bolts and nuts you get at hardware stores are in fact still bsw hex heads!

    never ever toss you BSW spanners out

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth WA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    6,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    did you know that 5/16 bolts and nuts you get at hardware stores are in fact still bsw hex heads!

    never ever toss you BSW spanners out
    No I won't chuck them out Richard. It is surprising how often BSW is encountered. I have amassed a fair collection of BSW spanners over the years, Sidchrome, Gordon, Britool even Stahlwille.

    BT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •