Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    490

    Default A request re 'rude word' edits

    While I can understand mods editing out words that might be considered rude by some, can I call for some sort of consistency in how this is done, or if that's problematic, no 'invisible editing'.

    I say this after I noticed that the phrase 'cheap-ass' had been edited to 'cheap-' in this post of mine - http://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...97#post1845397 , despite the word 'ass' appearing 9,240 times across the forums:

    ass.JPG

    I'm a writer by profession, and as such I tend to be overly attached to what I write. Every single word I write is my baby, and they tend not to be picked out of the thesaurus at random.

    If it is necessary to edit something, I'd be quite happy to have the offending word replaced by something like [mod edit] rather than have an invisible removal done, possibly changing the meaning of what I wrote or the style in which I wanted it to appear!

  2. #2
    Mobyturns's Avatar
    Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    "Brownsville" Nth QLD
    Age
    64
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Yes I agree. While editing may be necessary at times it should be made clear that the post was edited and where it was edited by a moderator.
    Mobyturns

    In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth W.A
    Posts
    0

    Default

    I think we are all grown-ups here so I don't think a bit of mild profanity is unacceptable, within reason of course.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bendigo Victoria
    Age
    78
    Posts
    7,471

    Default

    MS, let me say first of all that I think you are being just a tad precious here.

    However, I have looked at your 6 week old post and cannot find anywhere in the thread log that your post was moderated or edited by an Admin or a Mod.

    However there is a list of words, abbreviations etc that are automatically detected by the vBulletin software and deleted.

    A very popular expression consisting of 3 letters starting with W and ending in F is automatically deleted for instance, as the mods would have a full time job editing it out.

    I know this is a bit of an old chestnut, but when you signed up to the forum part of the rules you agreed to was that Admins and Mods can delete or edit anything that is entered on this forum, even though it doesn't appear to have been done here.

    So that means that any word, even your babies, could conceivably disappear.

    Now we have have a number of Admins and Mods, they are all human, even though some members would disagree with that, and therefore they all have different opinions of what is and isn't acceptable.

    In most cases we do actually discuss that amongst ourselves first, but it appears that in this case that wasn't done either.

    I hope that sheds some light on why one of your "babies" allegedly disappeared.

    May I also say that if I edit a post I leave a note in the post that it was me and what I did and why, unless of course the whole post is deleted, in which case we don't normally enter in a long and time consuming diatribe to explain this to the guilty party.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ACT
    Age
    83
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark david View Post
    I think we are all grown-ups here so I don't think a bit of mild profanity is unacceptable, within reason of course.
    Hi,
    That is the problem we are not, school kid etc use this forum and a couple of slip ups can have all the parenting programs blocking us from the little darlings, a lot of who could shock most of us senior citizens.
    Regards
    Hugh

    Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bendigo Victoria
    Age
    78
    Posts
    7,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark david View Post
    I think we are all grown-ups here so I don't think a bit of mild profanity is unacceptable, within reason of course.
    Mark, sorry but you are wrong on 2 counts.

    First of all, we are not all grown ups here. WWF prides itself that it is a site suitable to be visited by school children.

    Therefore words and phrases that are perfectly acceptable in the front bar of your local, are not appropriate here.

    Secondly, what is and isn't acceptable is decided by the Admins and Mods, as I explained at some length in the previous post.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Riverhills, Brisbane
    Age
    63
    Posts
    0

    Default

    I have always considered an "Ass" as a Donkey like animal....at least that is what my Dictionary tells me. If people wish to use the word referring to one's posterior, they should insert the "R"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bendigo Victoria
    Age
    78
    Posts
    7,471

    Default

    Could I ask people not to turn this rather frivolous thread in to an even more frivolous diatribe on donkeys and posteriors?

    Any more of that and we will close the thread.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ACT
    Age
    83
    Posts
    268

    Default


    "A very popular expression consisting of 3 letters starting with W and ending in F is automatically deleted for instance, as the mods would have a full time job editing it out."
    In the latest Readers Digest jokes a mother used it in a tweet to her daughter and when her shocked daughter said "Mother do you know what that means?" she replied "well that's fantastic."

    Regards
    Hugh

    Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

  10. #10
    Mobyturns's Avatar
    Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    "Brownsville" Nth QLD
    Age
    64
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post

    I know this is a bit of an old chestnut, but when you signed up to the forum part of the rules you agreed to was that Admins and Mods can delete or edit anything that is entered on this forum, even though it doesn't appear to have been done here.
    I respect the work the mods do to keep the forum running smoothly and with civility and I also acknowledge that we all should play within the rules we have agreed to. It is not an easy job for you guys to sort out some of the hassles or to edit a post while respecting the moral rights of the author.
    Mobyturns

    In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth W.A
    Posts
    0

    Default

    I think you missed the point that I said "mild".Anything that isn't gets deleted as already pointed out.

    I could mention that a lot of the "woodies jokes" regularly contain rude language and inappropriate and distasteful humour,but seemingly these seem to be acceptable.
    Are we not just advocating double-standards?



    Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Mark, sorry but you are wrong on 2 counts.

    First of all, we are not all grown ups here. WWF prides itself that it is a site suitable to be visited by school children.

    Therefore words and phrases that are perfectly acceptable in the front bar of your local, are not appropriate here.

    Secondly, what is and isn't acceptable is decided by the Admins and Mods, as I explained at some length in the previous post.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bendigo Victoria
    Age
    78
    Posts
    7,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark david View Post
    I think you missed the point that I said "mild".Anything that isn't gets deleted as already pointed out.
    No Mark, I didn't miss that point, hence my last sentence above.

    It is the Admins and Mods that decide what is and isn't acceptable, what is mild and what isn't.

    But I re-iterate, in this case there was no deleting and/or editing by the Admins or Mods.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sol Terra Australis Canberra
    Age
    52
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I loooove to swear. I say , , , , and all the time.

    I've learned that words such as , , or, , and are removed. Especially . For example when I write " this and up your " it sometimes changes its meaning.

    It gives me the .
    Last edited by Evanism; 4th Apr 2015 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Fixed and . Forgot to say and , .
    Fancy firewood, sawdust creator and frequent bleeder.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •