Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Apologises Sparksie.....I think I have 'oopsed'

    Yes, its a BLDC motor. I read 'star' and thought '3 phase motor'.
    I might be sunk.....

    https://www.monolithicpower.com/en/b...shed-dc-motors
    Look like a fisher paycal washing machine motor.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Australind , WA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparksy View Post
    Look like a fisher paycal washing machine motor.

    Yep, looks similar.
    I guess the BLDC uses hall effect sensors for timing from the controller?
    Probably rules out using a vsd, unless someone knows for sure?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    York, North Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    5,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Yep, looks similar.
    I guess the BLDC uses hall effect sensors for timing from the controller?
    Probably rules out using a vsd, unless someone knows for sure?
    Hi Steve,

    A BLDC motor is fundamentally a three phase device and in theory could be run from a VSD. However it does use hall sensors to detect the position of the rotor with respect to the field coils. The hall sensor output is used to switch on or off the semiconductor devices used to pass power through the field coils at the right instant in time. Also by varying the time and duration of the power fed to the coils can be used to control the speed and the amount of output power the motor can produce.

    HTH.
    Best Regards:
    Baron J.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Australind , WA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaronJ View Post
    Hi Steve,

    A BLDC motor is fundamentally a three phase device and in theory could be run from a VSD. However it does use hall sensors to detect the position of the rotor with respect to the field coils. The hall sensor output is used to switch on or off the semiconductor devices used to pass power through the field coils at the right instant in time. Also by varying the time and duration of the power fed to the coils can be used to control the speed and the amount of output power the motor can produce.

    HTH.

    Thanks John.....That helps alot.
    Maybe its worth buying a small VSD to test, as I have not come across anyone who definitvely knows for sure, either way.
    I have a copy of Roseneburg, but could not find anything in that.

    Steve

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Australind , WA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    OOoooh, look. Looks like it will work, but its a bit of work. No Problem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oQPl-GqB0E

    I searched again, but using words , instead of abreviations this time and different results came up!

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    York, North Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    5,482

    Default

    Steven, there is no point in trying to use a VSD to run that kind of motor ! As seen in the video he has direct access to all three motor phases. Without that, it would be a sure fire way of letting the smoke out.

    Its original controller would use a DC supply and the low resistance of the windings would need unknown amounts of current from that DC supply ! The supply voltage would only be switched on for a few fractions of a second for each phase of the motor windings, depending on speed and required power output. Also there may be multiple phases, more than the three you would normally expect.

    HTH.
    Best Regards:
    Baron J.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Australind , WA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaronJ View Post
    Steven, there is no point in trying to use a VSD to run that kind of motor ! As seen in the video he has direct access to all three motor phases. Without that, it would be a sure fire way of letting the smoke out.

    Its original controller would use a DC supply and the low resistance of the windings would need unknown amounts of current from that DC supply ! The supply voltage would only be switched on for a few fractions of a second for each phase of the motor windings, depending on speed and required power output. Also there may be multiple phases, more than the three you would normally expect.

    HTH.

    Noted John. Will do some more research.
    Its a last resort except for paying exorbitant money for a new Controller. Not worth it just for a shed.
    Will see.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Hackham West
    Age
    53
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Hope you get it sorted mate

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Australind , WA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericks2 View Post
    Hope you get it sorted mate

    I might be flogging a dead horse yet.....lol...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Controller WITHOUT a computer
    By nigelpearson in forum CNC Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th Feb 2022, 11:04 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1st Dec 2019, 07:49 PM
  3. Mill motor controller !
    By BaronJ in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th Jul 2017, 01:51 AM
  4. Evap O Rust
    By Jim Ferrous in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13th Oct 2013, 05:24 PM
  5. cheap foot TIG controller
    By WelderMick in forum WELDING
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th Jan 2011, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •