Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,575

    Default Help. Vintage Industrial Grinder & Linisher

    Iím looking for info on this machine, no makers name or even motor plate. It looks to be a shop built linisher assembled on a large grinder.

    It was donated to a menís shed who decided it wasnít suitable for there needs and ended up with me thanks to a tip off by another forumite.

    I maybe going back to the menís shed with my gear to give an intro to Blacksmithing and possibly setting them up with a forge.






    The linisher could possibly be made from off the shelf components but the plate steel frame made in house.

    Iíd like to fit a big wire wheel to it and possibly a vfd for speed control. The vfd may not be viable without knowing what type & spec motor.
    Ö..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alexandra Vic
    Age
    64
    Posts
    524

    Default

    The motor and stand are very similar to those of a smaller (2.5-3HP) buffer unit we had at work in 2006, and fairly typical of a low power metal polisher. Ours was ancient when we got it and the data plate was well beyond readable then. We watched it running prior to purchase, took it to the factory and had it plugged in an running within an hour as a slightly inclined open belt linisher and buffer. I also recall seeing similar setups with different motors (to 15HP) in commercial polishing shops, but with both ends active instead of having one end guarded. The red turn around wheel mechanism at the top is also reasonably familiar. I suspect the the entire linisher setup is a commercial one rather than shop made, and the rig has been assembled with a motor and stand either to hand or purchased for the unit.

    Sorry, but I can't give you any more info in terms of setting it up to run off a VFD.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

  3. #3
    BobL is online now Member: Blue and white apron brigade
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    5,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSEL74 View Post
    Iíd like to fit a big wire wheel to it and possibly a vfd for speed control. The vfd may not be viable without knowing what type & spec motor.

    Do you mean a 240V VFD? If so you'll need to hope its a Y connected motor.
    If its already a ∆ connected motor then you are out of luck to connect to a 240V VFD

    If the motor has no name plate then there is no way around having to open it up and take a butchers.
    If it has a common point then its a Y and it can be converted to ∆ which makes it a 240V VFD compliant motor.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dural NSW
    Age
    77
    Posts
    1,170

    Default More Info on the Linisher

    Quote Originally Posted by malb View Post
    The motor and stand are very similar to those of a smaller (2.5-3HP) buffer unit we had at work in 2006, and fairly typical of a low power metal polisher. Ours was ancient when we got it and the data plate was well beyond readable then. We watched it running prior to purchase, took it to the factory and had it plugged in an running within an hour as a slightly inclined open belt linisher and buffer. I also recall seeing similar setups with different motors (to 15HP) in commercial polishing shops, but with both ends active instead of having one end guarded. The red turn around wheel mechanism at the top is also reasonably familiar. I suspect the the entire linisher setup is a commercial one rather than shop made, and the rig has been assembled with a motor and stand either to hand or purchased for the unit.

    Sorry, but I can't give you any more info in terms of setting it up to run off a VFD.
    The red coloured belt tensioner & tracking device is a 3 M product called a "Backstand Idler" made & sold by 3M co where I worked 45 yrs ago the whole unit looks homemade as many were.
    The contact wheel is hard to see but appears to be too narrow for the abrasive belt, or its edge are badly worn.
    Bruce

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Do you mean a 240V VFD? If so you'll need to hope its a Y connected motor.
    If its already a ∆ connected motor then you are out of luck to connect to a 240V VFD

    If the motor has no name plate then there is no way around having to open it up and take a butchers.
    If it has a common point then its a Y and it can be converted to ∆ which makes it a 240V VFD compliant motor.
    Alternatively use a 240v in, 400v 3ph out VFD. I have one on my mill and have one on my Chipmaster lathe. The milling machine one came from Aliexpress a couple of years ago. I would have to see if I still have the seller's details. Works a treat.
    Geoff

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,575

    Default

    Bruce,

    Thatís interesting I met a French knife maker and she called linishers Backstands. I thought it a quirk of translation. Seems like it is potentially a proper term if you guys sold product labelled that way. Thanks for the info & education.

    I still have it sitting in the covered trailer as itís more than a one man job to move. But I believe the belt is 5mm or more wider than the wheel. Iím not sure it is a rubber coated, I think itís just base metal so not a contact wheel?
    Ö..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alexandra Vic
    Age
    64
    Posts
    524

    Default

    I didn't throw the term 'backstand idler' into my previous post because I am used to it being used for slightly inclined belt systems where it literally is an idler or turnaround mounted to a back stand. In the pics provided, I suspected that calling an idler on a near vertical belt a backstand idler might cause confusion.

    With respect to the drive wheel, they come in a range of styles depending on user requirements. I am aware of three setups, a metal wheel which provides an extremely hard surface under the belt, rubber coated wheels which give a medium hardness that could, in theory at least, be varied by changes in rubber compound or varying the 'tread pattern' on the wheel, or fabric ones which are reasonably soft and quite forgiving if you get the approach angle of your work slightly wrong. The differences are similar to grinding against a wheel versus belt grinding against a platten versus belt grinding in an unrestrained belt segment on a knife grinder.

    It is generally important that the contact wheel is the same width as the belt, too narrow and the belt edges will depress as the work approaches and departs the belt, which will cause the belt to wear rapidly at the edge of the wheel, and ultimately slit the edges off the belt, most likely tearing across the edge and whipping belt segments around the operator and work. If the wheel is too wide, there is a high probability that the work and wheel may come into direct contact on on approach and departure, possibly marring the work or damaging the edges of the wheel rendering it next to useless for working with the correct width belt.

    It is quite likely that the last owner/user was using whatever belts they could get their hands on to avoid buying a new stock of belts for the machine before they stopped using it. The width criteria is less strict for the turnaround wheel, in that the wheel here should be at least as wide as the belt, but can be substantially wider without reducing safety or utility as the work should not be in contact with the wheel at any time.
    I used to be an engineer, I'm not an engineer any more, but on the really good days I can remember when I was.

Similar Threads

  1. Multi tool belt grinder/linisher
    By China in forum WANTED TO BUY
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd May 2019, 11:01 PM
  2. Belt grinder/linisher
    By China in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2nd Jan 2018, 10:33 AM
  3. Vintage Parken Belt Linisher
    By DSEL74 in forum ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE MACHINERY
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 4th Dec 2015, 07:37 PM
  4. SOLD: Linisher attachment for your bench grinder
    By azzrock in forum METALWORK - Machinery, Equipment, MARKET
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2nd Jun 2013, 07:57 PM
  5. Belt grinder/linisher belts
    By gngh in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24th May 2013, 07:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •