Page 1 of 64 1234561151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 948

Thread: Whisperings

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,103

    Default Whisperings

    Hi all
    A few people have asked me to show what I do for a living. It certainly isn't your normal day job that's for sure, but it is a facet of engineering that is quickly becoming lost. In essence I suppose you would call it general engineering from around the turn of the century, last century, not this one. I actually get paid to repair/restore antique machines and steam engines that get used as working (not static) displays. A requirement of the job is to also use all the old skills that are quickly becoming lost with the advent of CNC machines. Quite a lot are hand skills, filing chiseling scraping etc.

    My workshop

    Vanguard lathe with compound slide removed for setting up a job

    Jones and Shipman pedestal drill. New century model

    Geo Richards & co. Vertical mill

    And of course the Buffalo vertical steam engine to power it all

    Heaps more if anyone is interested including the forge and anvil plus the power hammer.

    Phil

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lower Lakes SA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Phil, are you using a camera or a phone? The pics are too tiny to see anything. I would like more details of all of those machines, especially the mill. I can't tell if it's a weird configuration or there's something behind it. Sorry to whine, but it's not fair to tease us!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Hi Bryan
    Photos are from the phone
    I will repost from the computer...in fact I will do it now

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Age
    71
    Posts
    5,080

    Default

    Hi Phil,

    Nice one, I'm intrigued. More pictures, then we start with the questions..

    I'm sure I'm not the only one who's more than a little envious of your job... any vacancies?

    Regards
    Ray

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Try these and let me know

    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Hi Phil,

    Nice one, I'm intrigued. More pictures, then we start with the questions..

    I'm sure I'm not the only one who's more than a little envious of your job... any vacancies?

    Regards
    Ray
    Hi Ray,
    Easily enough work for 3 more competent men, oops, people.
    They just cant employ at the moment but I am working on it.

    Phil

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    As requested Ray,
    some more pics
    Heaps more to come
    Phil

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Age
    71
    Posts
    5,080

    Default

    Hi Phil,

    There's plenty of good history there, I'm surprised at the size of the steam engine, I guess the boiler is outside..

    Need more power on the mill, just throw a few more logs into the boiler... Sort of an early version of a VFD..

    I like that power hammer, with the foot pedal.

    I'm a bit confused by the drill press bolted to the post, is it hand operated?


    Regards
    Ray

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Hi Phil,

    There's plenty of good history there, I'm surprised at the size of the steam engine, I guess the boiler is outside..

    Need more power on the mill, just throw a few more logs into the boiler... Sort of an early version of a VFD..

    I like that power hammer, with the foot pedal.

    I'm a bit confused by the drill press bolted to the post, is it hand operated?


    Regards
    Ray
    Hi ray,
    The boilers are situated in their own house about 100 feet away. Steam engines have a lot of torque and build up serious momentum once they are running.
    Ya gotta love the 1850's version of the VFD, if I don't have the right speed on the lathe etc. I just slow down or speed up the engine until perfect.
    The power hammer is a Champion Blower and Forge Co. No1 power hammer made in Lancaster PA in July 1902. I have used it but the foundations had rotted away so I am relocating it and renewing the foundations.
    The post drill is hand operated and made by Dawn. It also has auto feed on it. Only a smithy could operate it for any length of time as you need a strong right arm...as I found out.

    Phil

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I would like more details of all of those machines, especially the mill. I can't tell if it's a weird configuration or there's something behind
    Hi Bryan,
    She is a state of the art mill. The configuration you might be talking about is the traverse reversing trip rods and mechanism. When traversing automatically the stops move the rods and engage either forward or reverse gears for traverse. At the end of each stroke the quill moves down a notch.
    Let me know if you need any more info

    Phil

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Rockhampton
    Posts
    6,001

    Default

    Very nice.... That is what you call a place with character...
    Gold, the colour of choice for the discerning person.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    Very nice.... That is what you call a place with character...
    Hi Richard,
    It's hard to explain the ambience of screwcutting a 1 1/2" whit. thread on the old vanguard lathe with the engine running on the governor and the belts flapping at full tilt. It's adds a whole new dimension to machining. And all this by kerosine lamp.

    Phil

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,686

    Default

    Hi Phil,
    Interesting picture Thanks.
    I remember being in the building with the metal spinning lathe, the line drive gently rocking pretty much the whole building (if a building can gently rock lol) side to side . Still got the fry pan to prove it.

    Stuart

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ballarat
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stustoys View Post
    Hi Phil,
    Interesting picture Thanks.
    I remember being in the building with the metal spinning lathe, the line drive gently rocking pretty much the whole building (if a building can gently rock lol) side to side . Still got the fry pan to prove it.

    Stuart
    You would love that building now. It kinda' violently rocks from side to side. Lol

    Phil

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Heidelberg, Victoria
    Age
    76
    Posts
    2,074

    Default How about a tour?

    Whilst the kids are fossicking around Sovereign Hill, what are the chances of us oldies having a tour around your fabulous workshop?

    Of course we'd bring ice cold bottles of Ballarat Bitter and famous Ballarat cake shop pies.

    Ken

Page 1 of 64 1234561151 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •