Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South of Adelaide
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine Builder View Post
    Hi Shed, yeah i was thinking that will be the case. I don't think i can fit the starter from the other side as the two large oil coolers will be in the way maybe under the motor When i get a battery we will find out. Thanks for the tip on the circuit
    I could bolt back the original flywheel and start the motor like this chap from a time when real men could pull start a v8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enyrslPr70 From a time when real men could pull start a v8!
    I have see that done on a big old diesel before, but they used a longer strap, and pulled it with a car.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    York, North Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    6,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snapatap View Post
    Why will the starter motor still be drawing current once the motor is running?
    Hello Ash, Mark,

    You have misunderstood ! The starter motor will stop drawing current when the engine starts to run on its own. Once the engine is turning over the starter motor load is smaller so the current draw becomes less.

    HTH.
    Best Regards:
    Baron J.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Revesby - Sydney Australia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snapatap View Post
    Why will the starter motor still be drawing current once the motor is running?
    Turning, not running.


    Until the engine actually fires and starts, which might be forever if it has no spark plugs,
    the starter motor will be turning the engine over at 30 or 50rpm,
    and drawing a few dozen amps.

    This is a much lower current draw than when the starter tries to turn over a stationary engine.
    Nigel, from a cave FULL of unfinished projects and lost tools.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Healesville
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine Builder View Post
    G/day Shed, just going though my photos of this project and looks like i can fit the stater under the motor, as you can see in this photo there is room to fit that stater maybe a bit of cutting some metal out and all good Attachment 401960
    Turbs the later model ford starters are more compact than the earlier ones and they are interchangeable so would still suit the drive plate, they have an epicyclic reduction box and use a smaller motor that pulls much less amps and might be easier to squeeze in there?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Hi Shed,
    well the bloody stater motor doesn't fit under the motor So next option fit the flex plate in front of the motor, what are your thoughts on this

    IMG_9370.jpgIMG_9371.jpg

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    60
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine Builder View Post
    Hi Shed,
    well the bloody stater motor doesn't fit under the motor So next option fit the flex plate in front of the motor, what are your thoughts on this
    There are reverse mount starter motors available that mount in the bellhousing, not sure if or what factory cars they may have been fitted to for scrounging a second hand one.

    A bit of googling suggests some limited success on reterminating internally to reverse direction, what make / model is the flex plate and starter ?

    Some more here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...rity%20applied.
    Appears late model RX7 rotary starters were fitted from behind.
    Last edited by droog; 21st Mar 2023 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Additional info

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    There are reverse mount starter motors available that mount in the bellhousing, not sure if or what factory cars they may have been fitted to for scrounging a second hand one.

    A bit of googling suggests some limited success on reterminating internally to reverse direction, what make / model is the flex plate and starter ?

    Some more here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...rity%20applied.
    Appears late model RX7 rotary starters were fitted from behind.
    Hi droog, flex plate is off Ford Falcon AU 6cyl and the stater from a ford xc 6cyl. I have a couple more options but would like to see if this works, i can buy a used Tatra stater but will cost a bit by the time i have it ship out to me. I'll keep experimenting. As you will see in this video clip this chap just holds the Tatra stater motor onto the ring gear and starts the motor that way https://youtube.com/shorts/Ft262rCjbE0?feature=share

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toorloo Arm, VIC
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    If you can find a gear that will mesh okay with the ring gear and starter (dead starter pinion maybe?), you could use it as an idler gear with your rear mounted starter arrangement, which would then reverse the direction....

    Probably easiest to set up with the idler in permanent mesh with the ring gear, and the starter throwing out into it.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Healesville
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine Builder View Post
    Hi Shed, yeah i was thinking that will be the case. I don't think i can fit the starter from the other side as the two large oil coolers will be in the way maybe under the motor When i get a battery we will find out. Thanks for the tip on the circuit
    Turbs howabout moving an oil cooler to somewhere else?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Flinders Ranges
    Posts
    1,579

    Default

    A small air starter maybe?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shedhappens View Post
    Turbs howabout moving an oil cooler to somewhere else?
    Hi shed,
    I would have to use a new oil cooler and new cooling fan, like to keep the motor original with the cooling turbines, oil coolers and the sheet metal shrouds. On the H motor yes that will be using new oil cooler, cooling fan and all sheet metal shrouds removed. I like Jekyll and Hyde idea using a idler gear set up, will look in to that more

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racingtadpole View Post
    A small air starter maybe?
    That might be to expensive.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Healesville
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    The idler gear idea is a good one but a couple of problems that it has is if you work out the gear ratio at 3000rpm of the engine could be spinning the idler gear at 30000 to 50000rpm and if that sounds a bit scary then you also have lubrication problem there also.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toorloo Arm, VIC
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shedhappens View Post
    The idler gear idea is a good one but a couple of problems that it has is if you work out the gear ratio at 3000rpm of the engine could be spinning the idler gear at 30000 to 50000rpm and if that sounds a bit scary then you also have lubrication problem there also.
    You could just mount both the idler and starter on a swing away bracket I guess, swing the bracket up until the idler in mesh with ring gear, lock in position, start motor, unlock and swing clear.

    If you could find an intermediate size gear to mesh with it all, with enough meat in the bore for a bearing, that should also make it a non issue...

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Healesville
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Maybe the bendix drive could also slide the idler gear in and out of mesh.
    I think the OEM starter would be the best but one of the vids i watched that a bloke put one of these engines in a mototcycle he used the starter that was a stock item on the gearbox.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tatra V8 engine tear down project
    By Turbine Builder in forum AUTO RESTORATION
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 16th Jan 2023, 07:47 PM
  2. Tatra air cooled V8
    By bob ward in forum AUTO RESTORATION
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th Jul 2019, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •