Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Regardless of the connection being crimped or soldered, appropriate strain relief is key to avoiding any accidental pulling on the connection and any work hardening in the conductor & insulation material.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    60
    Posts
    442

    Default

    I notice that no-one has mentioned the effect of left over flux on the life of the wire.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Adelaide
    Age
    73
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurfinNev View Post
    You are now on my ignore list. Never thought I would use that here.
    Congratulations, second place winner.

    Darn, and I was so enjoying your banter!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Donít have to worry much if we use no-clean flux. Even with regular flux, a $8 bottle of IPA from Jaycar and an old toothbrush or ear buds takes care of that.

    If we get this far into soldering then its a no brainer to clean up the joints. Even a quick clean with a rag is better than nothing.

    Whats more bad for the joints? A cold joint or left over flux residue?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    60
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kafie1980 View Post
    Donít have to worry much if we use no-clean flux. Even with regular flux, a $8 bottle of IPA from Jaycar and an old toothbrush or ear buds takes care of that.

    If we get this far into soldering then its a no brainer to clean up the joints. Even a quick clean with a rag is better than nothing.

    Whats more bad for the joints? A cold joint or left over flux residue?
    No-clean flux is used in certain industries but is still unacceptable in a lot of critical instances particularly as the residue left is harder to clean than regular flux.

    As for cleaning its easy on the outside but have fun separating the strands in the cable to use your IPA and brush or ear buds to clean the remaining flux and residue.

    Both are bad, there must be a better option that takes both these issues out of play.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mackay North Qld
    Posts
    6,447

    Default

    Hoggo51
    or was it?
    Ajh69
    or
    anthony.68
    or
    Kapala
    or
    Onanon.
    or
    tonyhoth
    or
    tohot.
    or
    tontonh
    or
    originally Sacc51

    We knew you were there but since very early in the year. You kept your posts all low key and did not make a problem for anyone, so you were left alone.

    Maybe its the phase of the moon is wrong, or you missed your medications or hit the booze or are badly constipated. I don't care much.

    People disagree with each other.That is life.
    But bating people is another matter.
    The outcome will be the same as has been in the past.
    We try to be a troll free forum.

    Grahame

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    No-clean flux is used in certain industries but is still unacceptable in a lot of critical instances particularly as the residue left is harder to clean than regular flux.

    As for cleaning its easy on the outside but have fun separating the strands in the cable to use your IPA and brush or ear buds to clean the remaining flux and residue.

    Both are bad, there must be a better option that takes both these issues out of play.
    Agree, no-clean is not the best solution and effects sensitive SMD components on pcbs but we are talking about soldering wire connections here.

    I don’t understand what you mean by “separating strands in the cable”? Do you mean to clean the flux? Why? The flux leaves a residue on the joints not inside a joints? You clean as much of the joint as you can and say a prayer ��. How would one clean flux under a SMD or under the wire insulation?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    60
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kafie1980 View Post
    Agree, no-clean is not the best solution and effects sensitive SMD components on pcbs but we are talking about soldering wire connections here.

    I donít understand what you mean by ďseparating strands in the cableĒ? Do you mean to clean the flux? Why? The flux leaves a residue on the joints not inside a joints? You clean as much of the joint as you can and say a prayer ��. How would one clean flux under a SMD or under the wire insulation?

    The residue from flux as well as residual flux is corrosive.
    When you solder multi strand cable, flux and residue is drawn up between the copper strands inside the cable by capillary action.
    Where the cable is soldered the joint is sealed but over time the strands just above the solder joint corrode.

    It is of little consequence for a lot of applications but if you add in vibration, warranty or critical applications then manufacturers take elimination of this failure seriously.
    Crimped connections eliminate this point of failure, of course the crimp if done poorly can also be a point of failure.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mackay North Qld
    Posts
    6,447

    Default

    Members please see post 36 .
    It should explain a few things.
    Grahame

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    oz
    Age
    73
    Posts
    1

    Default Graham.

    Quote Originally Posted by SurfinNev View Post
    Who was it that took my bait.
    Clearly you missed this one. But then again he is one of the anointed ones!

    Funny how the anointed ones can say anything they like, but whoa betide anyone else.

    Read up on qualities of an admin sometime, you might learn something, on second thought - Nah, you won't!

    I'm on dozens of forums, but this is the only one whose members are troublesome. But, it is entertaining!

    This is just another 'nom de plume' throw away BTW, so remove at your leisure, but, I promise I'll be back - when I can be bothered.

    BTW, you missed a few, casjon, gngh, plus a few more. And surprisingly, you added a couple I haven't used, thanks for that, I'll be sure to use them some time! I have more names than you can poke a stick at. Takes all of, I don't know, 2 minutes to come up with another.

    Troll free you say? Not in my experience: eskimo, pipeclay, stustoys, techo, surfinnev, and plethora of others come to mind. All part of the anointed club.

    Anyway, I'm off, but I'll be talking to you soon, bye...

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mackay North Qld
    Posts
    6,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahfwyk View Post
    Clearly you missed this one. But then again he is one of the anointed ones!

    Funny how the anointed ones can say anything they like, but whoa betide anyone else.

    Read up on qualities of an admin sometime, you might learn something, on second thought - Nah, you won't!

    I'm on dozens of forums, but this is the only one whose members are troublesome. But, it is entertaining!

    This is just another 'nom de plume' throw away BTW, so remove at your leisure, but, I promise I'll be back - when I can be bothered.

    BTW, you missed a few, casjon, gngh, plus a few more. And surprisingly, you added a couple I haven't used, thanks for that, I'll be sure to use them some time! I have more names than you can poke a stick at. Takes all of, I don't know, 2 minutes to come up with another.

    Troll free you say? Not in my experience: eskimo, pipeclay, stustoys, techo, surfinnev, and plethora of others come to mind. All part of the anointed club.

    Anyway, I'm off, but I'll be talking to you soon, bye...
    Attention all members , not just only those especially anointed ones.

    Please be on the lookout for a (variable screen name ) troll who will return despite the nasty forum having treated him so thoughtlessly.

    Go ahead,who ever you will be, the next time around, spend 2 minutes, think up a name.

    Bear in mind that it takes only a second to push a ban button.

    He just admitted he is a troll and is on dozens of forums.
    NOW dozens of forums , minus this one.

    This person, through his many iterations goes back to 2017 and has been found and banned each time as he baited members and got the sack.

    Its a game with him - please don't interact with him and he will tire of no sport and eventuality go and haunt one of the dozens of other forums he is a member of.

    Hey ! It is Halloween - That is why our Troll is active

    Information for any other potential trolls. MetalWork forums is a privately owned forum.

    This means that the forum owner has the absolute right to request posters to behave in an specified appropriate manner.
    No other correspondence shall be entered into - etcetera.

    Have a nice day

    Bye!!

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Brisbane. Qld. Australia
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurfinNev View Post
    There are those that do it right and crimp. However, there are the solder lovers that you will never change.
    Well, that certainly started something. Just to make it clear about why I posted this. A couple of members politely suggested that crimping was a better option than soldering. I agreed with this, but did not do the same because I somehow knew this guy was not going to listen to anyone here. It was not meant to bait him, but rather try to dissuade further comment and avoid another debate on which is better. I now see that my decision to place him on ignore, rather that have further discussions with him was a good one.
    Nev.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mackay North Qld
    Posts
    6,447

    Default

    As long as there are posters on forums there will differences of opinion.
    The difference being Hoggo1951 did bait those he did not agree with ,was then banned and came back again and again and was banned several times over.

    When Hoggo1951 began posters I was notified by a few people who recognized photos and what he posted about from past screen names he was active again.

    I monitored him for a good while and over the last 116 posts he did the right thing and did his thing with renovating motorbikes and all was good.
    By rights when he was banned, he should of stayed banned, but idiot me tried to do the right thing by members as quite a few were interested in what Hoggo1951 was posting.
    He will be back and will be spotted and will be banned again.

    When you spot him, please report him.

    Thanks to the two members who did so.

    Grahame

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Helensburgh
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Unfortunately trolls will always be argumentative and they live for that and they know that being banned and re-joining with a different identity is so easy these days it is not funny. What the troll can't do is disguise his writing style and is always stuck with that problem.
    CHRIS

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Rockhampton
    Posts
    6,224

    Default

    It is obvious now that for DIY'ers the superior method to keep everyone happy is just to twist wires together and some electrical tape over the top and it is good to go.

    Gold, the colour of choice for the discerning person.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cable splitter
    By Hoggo1951 in forum AUTO RESTORATION
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th Jan 2022, 10:05 PM
  2. Cable disc brakes routing of cable.
    By gros21 in forum TRAILERS & OTHER FABRICATED STUFF
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th May 2017, 06:41 PM
  3. Cable Damascus
    By DSEL74 in forum THE SMITHY
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17th Dec 2015, 08:11 PM
  4. Does this cable contain Asbestos?
    By variant22 in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th May 2015, 11:04 AM
  5. VFD Remote Cable
    By Oldneweng in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14th May 2014, 07:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •