Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9

    Default Hercus Lathe Collet set and Face plate.

    Came with a Hercus 9c

    Hercus collet set - $350
    15 Collets and Draw bar.
    Weight 2.2 Kgs

    Face Plate - $50
    (I measured the hole at 1 3/8 x 8tpi)
    Weight 3.5kgs

    Pickup available from (NSW) either St Leonards 9-5 or Lewisham after hours and weekends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tamworth, NSW
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Hi Matt

    Iíve sent you a message re collets. Iíd like a collet setup on my Emco super 11 and wondering if the drawbar may fit. If you could provide some critical dimensions of the drawbar like length and diameter I would appreciate it.

    thanks
    Ian

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Measurement.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Hi Matt

    I’ve sent you a message re collets. I’d like a collet setup on my Emco super 11 and wondering if the drawbar may fit. If you could provide some critical dimensions of the drawbar like length and diameter I would appreciate it.

    thanks
    Ian

    Hi Ian

    I have measured the length of the drawbar at 266mm from the threaded female end to the shoulder. Its diameter is 19mm or 3/4 inch.

    I'd also be happy to swap or part exchange this stuff for some other tools I require or other bits and pieces.

    Spanner 57mm (2 1/4) or adjustable spanner that opens to at least 60mm.
    Tool post grinder.
    Vintage motorcycle parts or literature (pre 40)


    Matt
    Last edited by Mattgoodwin; 13th May 2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added photo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tamworth, NSW
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattgoodwin View Post
    Measurement.jpg


    Hi Ian

    I have measured the length of the drawbar at 266mm from the threaded female end to the shoulder. Its diameter is 19mm or 3/4 inch.

    I'd also be happy to swap or part exchange this stuff for some other tools I require or other bits and pieces.

    Spanner 57mm (2 1/4) or adjustable spanner that opens to at least 60mm.
    Tool post grinder.
    Vintage motorcycle parts or literature (pre 40)


    Matt
    Thanks Matt

    Having never owned a collet drawbar setup I am unsure if this is going to fit for me - it will certainly fit through my spindle (mine is 26mm) but I just don't know about the way it will seat into teh spndle nose etc withot having a look at it. If I were near by I would love to have a look but at thsi stage that's not going to be possible. If anyone has some advice on critical measurements I would need to assess th epotential fit I would be really gald to hear them. For reference my Emco super 11 is 26mm bore, MT4 spindle with number 3 size spindle nose according to DNI 55021.

    Any advice out there on this?
    Ian

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Thanks Matt

    Having never owned a collet drawbar setup I am unsure if this is going to fit for me - it will certainly fit through my spindle (mine is 26mm) but I just don't know about the way it will seat into teh spndle nose etc withot having a look at it. If I were near by I would love to have a look but at thsi stage that's not going to be possible. If anyone has some advice on critical measurements I would need to assess th epotential fit I would be really gald to hear them. For reference my Emco super 11 is 26mm bore, MT4 spindle with number 3 size spindle nose according to DNI 55021.

    Any advice out there on this?
    Ian
    Hi Ian

    Sorry I can't be of more help with this. I have never used a collet setup myself, this was stuff that came with a lathe that I no longer have.
    Where are you located?

    Matt

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hey Matt,

    What size range are the collets?

    Thanks,
    Tom

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia east coast
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Thanks Matt

    Having never owned a collet drawbar setup I am unsure if this is going to fit for me - it will certainly fit through my spindle (mine is 26mm) but I just don't know about the way it will seat into teh spndle nose etc withot having a look at it. If I were near by I would love to have a look but at thsi stage that's not going to be possible. If anyone has some advice on critical measurements I would need to assess th epotential fit I would be really gald to hear them. For reference my Emco super 11 is 26mm bore, MT4 spindle with number 3 size spindle nose according to DNI 55021.

    Any advice out there on this?
    Ian
    Get an ER40 spindle nose collet chuck instead. I just finished mounting one on my Maximat 11, it wasn't a difficult job. The chuck came from eBay. This way you have the full capacity of the spindle bore available.

    You'll need a chunk of cast iron, steel or gasp aluminium to make up a back plate. 125mm diameter. I like cast iron but frankly I'd use aluminium if I had nothing else handy in a home shop.

    The only tricky bit is getting the spindle nose taper and flange to mate precisely with the back plate. I just did 2 of them and it wasn't that hard. Second one took half the time of the first, always the way.

    Incidentally the taper part is the same as D1-3 but the stud holes are DEFINITELY NOT the same pitch circle diameter. I'd been told they were. I guarantee that they're not.

    PDW

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tamworth, NSW
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Thanks Matt. - Iím in Tamworth. Iíll remeasure my lathe tomorrow and ask you for a couple more measurements.

    the reason I was looking at 5c was to hold short pieces like screws which I believe 5c are better than ER.

    thanks
    Ian

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tamworth, NSW
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Hi Matt

    Iíve measured my lathe and would like to check with you what length the collet holder is from the collar that rests against the outside of the headstock (hand wheel end) to the part that pulls back against the spindle nose please? My lathe is 310mm from end of spindle to nose so I think your bar will be very close. The measurement I think I need is when the collet holder is in place and then a collet inserted. What is that measurement?

    Your measurement of 266mm would mean the end of the shaft is 44mm from the front of my spindle nose but I donít know what putting the end of the collet holder onto the shaft does to the final length?


    Iíve attached a couple of crude pics and hope you understand what I am asking?

    6F30D383-E1C7-41EA-952D-8E3509802568.jpg355F859F-C42B-4EE1-A803-2FC4E472E8E5.jpeg05CA6162-2EA5-450F-A0D7-3C59BD00E50E.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia east coast
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Thanks Matt. - Iím in Tamworth. Iíll remeasure my lathe tomorrow and ask you for a couple more measurements.

    the reason I was looking at 5c was to hold short pieces like screws which I believe 5c are better than ER.

    thanks
    Ian
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Precisio...kAAOSw76heXbB~

    The Hercus collets are definitely not 5C if they're the ones I recall. Maybe 3C? The draw tube had to fit inside a 3/4" spindle bore. 5C is way too big.

    As I said you're giving away a ot of spindle bore capacity going down this road. If that isn't important because you're only doing small stuff, fine, it won't be a problem for you. Just keep this in mind *when* (not if) you get to that job that just won't fit...

    PDW

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tamworth, NSW
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Thanks PDW

    No doubt you are right that the ebay linked chuck would be easiest for 5C option. With a backplate adaptor added it mades sense. I had though the through spindle collet option would get me closer to the nose and be a nicer setup but maybe not.

    I wanted to make small parts (screws or modifying screws and bushes) in the range of 1/16 - 1/4 or 1.5-6.5mm.

    Of course there will always be bigger stuff that I want to do and I'd though 4 jaw chuck would cover me suffieceintly on that front.

    Maybe I just go an ER setup and if I want to gri something only just in teh front of teh collet I would put an equal diameter piece in teh abc of teh collet to allow it to grip properly - maybe ER16 or ER25..........

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Hi Ian and Tom

    I have a attached a photo of all the measurements of the bar, hopefully this helps!

    As for collet sizes, I went through and used some imperial drill bit shanks to work out what size they all are.

    1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 1/4 (3 of), 11/32 (2 of), 3/8, 13/32, 7/16, 1/2 (3 of).

    I'm open to offers.

    Matt
    IMG_8986.jpg

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tamworth, NSW
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattgoodwin View Post
    Hi Ian and Tom

    I have a attached a photo of all the measurements of the bar, hopefully this helps!

    As for collet sizes, I went through and used some imperial drill bit shanks to work out what size they all are.

    1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 1/4 (3 of), 11/32 (2 of), 3/8, 13/32, 7/16, 1/2 (3 of).

    I'm open to offers.

    Matt
    IMG_8986.jpg
    Thanks Matt - it looks like it might fit. I'd like to try and confirm the size of the collet holder that fits into the spindle nose and what collets these actually are.

    For the collet holder I have assumed it was a morse taper 4 from what I could find on Hercus 9c lathes but wonder if you could give me some measurements of that part? I believe the larger end should be 31.26mm and the smaller end tapers down to 25.9mm for MT4.

    As for the colletts would you also be able to share some dimensions so we can try and work out what size they are as I will need to see how readily available new collets are?

    Thank you for taking the time to work with me on this.
    Ian

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Thanks Matt - it looks like it might fit. I'd like to try and confirm the size of the collet holder that fits into the spindle nose and what collets these actually are.

    For the collet holder I have assumed it was a morse taper 4 from what I could find on Hercus 9c lathes but wonder if you could give me some measurements of that part? I believe the larger end should be 31.26mm and the smaller end tapers down to 25.9mm for MT4.

    As for the colletts would you also be able to share some dimensions so we can try and work out what size they are as I will need to see how readily available new collets are?

    Thank you for taking the time to work with me on this.
    Ian
    Hi Ian,
    No problem at all. I would rather you be sure!

    I have attached some photos with measurements of the collets and holder. The thread on the collets is 26tpi
    The internal taper for the collet goes from 13/16 at the widest part down to 11/16.

    Matt
    IMG_8993.jpgIMG_8994.jpg
    IMG_8989.jpgIMG_8990.jpgIMG_8991.jpgIMG_8992.jpg

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tamworth, NSW
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattgoodwin View Post
    Hi Ian,
    No problem at all. I would rather you be sure!

    I have attached some photos with measurements of the collets and holder. The thread on the collets is 26tpi
    The internal taper for the collet goes from 13/16 at the widest part down to 11/16.

    Matt
    Thanks very much Matt

    I think they are probably 3C collets which are not so readily available and the piece that sits in the spindle nose of the lathe seems like it will be loose in my lathe. I am not sure if that is a problem or not but I had assumed it would be a nice snug fit into my MT4. At this stage I don't think I can take a risk on this and I don't want to put a low ball offer to you as I hope it suits smeone else on the forum.

    Thank you for all your help in working this out - I certainly appreicate your help.

    Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help Identify Metal Lathe face plate mount.
    By orm255 in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th Mar 2020, 08:45 PM
  2. Buy face plate hercus 260 model atm
    By Tham60 in forum WANTED TO BUY
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 21st Feb 2020, 08:08 AM
  3. Lathe face plate 14.5"
    By Petip in forum METALWORK - Machinery, Equipment, MARKET
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th Jun 2018, 04:09 PM
  4. hercus ,qualos lathe face plate and chuck back plates
    By KBs PensNmore in forum METALWORK - Machinery, Equipment, MARKET
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th May 2017, 02:13 PM
  5. Fitting a 250mm chuck on a face plate, 12x36 lathe
    By Dave J in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7th Aug 2010, 12:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •