Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    0

    Default Sheraton ARM lathe

    Hey all,

    I know it's not a Hercus, so please excuse the intrusion, but to be honest I have been looking for a home for this post, and some help along the way, and this looks like possibly my most likely source of information (if anyone takes offense or recomends I post in another section, I am happy to have the post moved).

    I picked up this lathe last week as a trade for a bandsaw I had laying around. To be honest I spend most of my time playing with old woodworking machinery and am very nieve in relation to metal working lathes (a real beginner), so at this stage I am not too sure what I have got myself into. My theory is that as I paid basically nothing for the bandsaw, it was a good lathe to start with, and perhaps along the way work out what to look out for on a future purchase. My hope with this lathe is to turn some replacement handles etc, for some of my machines, but I suspect this is the kind of machine you don't realise that you needed it until you have it.

    Below are a couple of pictures, as you can see she is not in the greatest condition, but hopefully with a bit of love, I can do a few projects and perhaps learn a bit on the way. I can already see some issues that will need to be resolved, and have a lot of questions, but I will start out with some photos and see if you guys think the thread should be moved first.


























    Cheers,

    Camo

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    0

    Default

    and the accessories:


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Brisbane. Qld. Australia
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,068

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Hi,

    Sheraton's and Hercus's are pretty much copies of the South Bend lathe. You have most of the accessories needed.

    In one of your photo's (last number 75 I think) show's the headstock cone pulley. It looks like the grub screw that keeps the oil in headstock cone pulley is missing. If it is, you'll need to fill up the oil again before running and replace the grub screw. If it is missing and has been run without it, the headstock may be scored/damaged.

    Looks like you got a bargin. I reckon your haul is worth anywhere between $1500 & $2000.

    Ben.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    219

    Thumbs up Sheraton

    Hi
    I have the same model Sheraton lathe. I bought it last year. Seems like a very good trade,
    plenty of parts available as hercus and south bend 9" parts fit, as stated above. I have bought a few parts
    from the US and they fit perfectly. Plenty of info on south bend 9" as well.
    It is a good lathe and you should get a lot of enjoyment from it .
    Cheers
    Peter

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Holbrook, NSW
    Age
    71
    Posts
    459

    Default beds the key

    Welcome to the forum.
    There are already a number of Sheraton owners here as you have discovered. The lathe bed seems in pretty good condition, which is the best possible starting point. As Bwal says the supply for Sheraton parts is limited but most Hercus 9 parts and South Bend 9 parts will fit well enough should anything need replacing. Interesting crosslide with the dovetail edges, could be very useful.

    Mal

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Thanks guys for the replies, hope everyone had a great Easter!!

    Already my first question has been answered (are the South bend and Hercus possible sources for some parts).



    Quote Originally Posted by bwal74 View Post
    Hi,

    Sheraton's and Hercus's are pretty much copies of the South Bend lathe. You have most of the accessories needed.

    In one of your photo's (last number 75 I think) show's the headstock cone pulley. It looks like the grub screw that keeps the oil in headstock cone pulley is missing. If it is, you'll need to fill up the oil again before running and replace the grub screw. If it is missing and has been run without it, the headstock may be scored/damaged.

    Looks like you got a bargin. I reckon your haul is worth anywhere between $1500 & $2000.

    Ben.
    Ben,

    Thank you for pointing out the grub screw, it turns out that there was a grub screw (unsure if it is original, or a replacement). I have been doing a bit of reading on oil vs Teflon grease in the cone pulley, so I am more confused than when I started. When I removed the grub screw it didn't appear dry inside, but oil certainly didn't pour out either (not really sure what to expect).

    I was thinking I will go the oil option (happy to be advised if this is a mistake and people feel strongly about using Teflon grease), can anyone recommend what oil to use in Australia and perhaps a supplier in Sydney/Newcastle area. Do I just fill and perhaps use compressed air to flush whatever is currently in it?

    The guy I got the lathe from, also had this parts list, for the "conquest", I am happy to post the rest of this, if it is any help to anyone.

    image.jpg

    I am currently reading through "text book of turning", any other suggested reading for a newcomer to metal lathes? Would the South Bend rebuild manuals, available to buy online be of any use?

    Cheers,

    Camo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southern Highlands NSW
    Posts
    1,656

    Default

    I bought the SB rebuild book, and it looks to be very applicable to Hercus 9 inch lathes especially.
    Some mechanisms like the apron are also similar on the Hercus 260, other parts like headstock perhaps less so.

    I wouldn't say I need the Sheraton Conquest parts list, but I'm sure I'd enjoy checking it out, if you're willing to scan it.

    Jordan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadroj View Post
    I bought the SB rebuild book, and it looks to be very applicable to Hercus 9 inch lathes especially.
    Some mechanisms like the apron are also similar on the Hercus 260, other parts like headstock perhaps less so.

    I wouldn't say I need the Sheraton Conquest parts list, but I'm sure I'd enjoy checking it out, if you're willing to scan it.

    Jordan
    Jordan,

    Happy to help in any little way I can:

    Sheraton Conquest Lathe - Parts List.pdf

    Cheers,

    Camo

    P.S. If you have the details on who you bought the SB rebuild book from (I am assuming it was a ebay seller), any chance you could PM me the details, just so I know I am buying the right copy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camoz View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies, hope everyone had a great Easter!!

    Already my first question has been answered (are the South bend and Hercus possible sources for some parts).





    Ben,

    Thank you for pointing out the grub screw, it turns out that there was a grub screw (unsure if it is original, or a replacement). I have been doing a bit of reading on oil vs Teflon grease in the cone pulley, so I am more confused than when I started. When I removed the grub screw it didn't appear dry inside, but oil certainly didn't pour out either (not really sure what to expect).

    I was thinking I will go the oil option (happy to be advised if this is a mistake and people feel strongly about using Teflon grease), can anyone recommend what oil to use in Australia and perhaps a supplier in Sydney/Newcastle area. Do I just fill and perhaps use compressed air to flush whatever is currently in it?

    The guy I got the lathe from, also had this parts list, for the "conquest", I am happy to post the rest of this, if it is any help to anyone.

    image.jpg

    I am currently reading through "text book of turning", any other suggested reading for a newcomer to metal lathes? Would the South Bend rebuild manuals, available to buy online be of any use?

    Cheers,

    Camo
    Hi,

    That's good news about the grub screw in the cone pulley. I recently pulled my headstock apart due to oil issues: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=180274 that's the thread. I fixed the problem but my spindle is slightly scored from no oil (my fault). I'm currently using teflon super lube grease in the cone pulley. Seems to work well, but applying it isn't the easiest.

    I was originally using compressor oil in the headstock, ways, gearbox etc works fine. On the gears I use chainsaw bar oil. And sometimes when I forget what I've put in the oil cans a mixture of both. As long as you keep the oil up you shouldn't have too many problems. Remember though it will leak everywhere.

    I have the South Bend rebuild manual, it is a help some times. Called "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe 9" Model A,B, & C & Model 10k" . The 10k will be the closest to the Hercus 260 & the Sheraton Conquest. If you look hard enough you should be able to find and download a "Hercus 260 Maintenance Manual". Thats very helpful.

    Not sure if you seen this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sheraton-...26683c7&_uhb=1
    I think he's dreaming but....

    Ben

  11. #11
    Tiptoeturtle Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwal74 View Post
    Hi,

    That's good news about the grub screw in the cone pulley. I recently pulled my headstock apart due to oil issues: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=180274 that's the thread. I fixed the problem but my spindle is slightly scored from no oil (my fault). I'm currently using teflon super lube grease in the cone pulley. Seems to work well, but applying it isn't the easiest.

    I was originally using compressor oil in the headstock, ways, gearbox etc works fine. On the gears I use chainsaw bar oil. And sometimes when I forget what I've put in the oil cans a mixture of both. As long as you keep the oil up you shouldn't have too many problems. Remember though it will leak everywhere.

    I have the South Bend rebuild manual, it is a help some times. Called "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe 9" Model A,B, & C & Model 10k" . The 10k will be the closest to the Hercus 260 & the Sheraton Conquest. If you look hard enough you should be able to find and download a "Hercus 260 Maintenance Manual". Thats very helpful.

    Not sure if you seen this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sheraton-...26683c7&_uhb=1
    I think he's dreaming but....

    Ben

    Mmmm, that seller on ebay has about 20 items listed, one of which is a lot of gutter brackets for $240, everything listed is static at zero bids so far.

    Donald

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southern Highlands NSW
    Posts
    1,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camoz View Post
    Jordan,

    Happy to help in any little way I can:

    Sheraton Conquest Lathe - Parts List.pdf

    Cheers,

    Camo

    P.S. If you have the details on who you bought the SB rebuild book from (I am assuming it was a ebay seller), any chance you could PM me the details, just so I know I am buying the right copy.
    Thanks for the PDF, Camo.

    I bought the book from Stephen Brooks in USA, $15 in 2010. They must be good sellers, as the price has doubled since then.
    Current listing: ebay item 150563804987

    See other listings for rebuild parts from this seller.

    Email was [email protected]

    Jordan

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    near Warragul, Victoria
    Posts
    3,510

    Default sheraton

    Hi I have the same lathe

    Yours is in much better shape than mine is LOL . Mine came from the local Tech school, it spent years being abused by pimple faced nit wit teenage boys

    One thing me and other Sheraton owners have found out , the large pulley on the counter shaft is out of balance by a big margin . If you remove the pulley and static balance it , the lathe will run smoother . You already have a linked belt which is good .

    They are great little lathes , well made and made to last . I use thin motor oil in the headstock and QCGB and I use a mix of white spirit and motor oil in a 5o/50 mix in a spray bottle to spray behind the apron etc. Mike

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    219

    Default Sheraton AR Lubrication

    I bought my late 1960's Sheraton 4 1/2 (9") AR lathe from the original owner. He always used "alvania grease no. 2" on the roller bearings in the headstock, and engine oil S.A.E 10 on every thing else. This is as per the Sheraton literature. I would say that my lathe is is pretty good nick for its age. I think that the most important thing to remember is that any type of oil regularly is better than the exact specification occasionally.
    I tried oil in the headstock for a little while, however I have now gone back to grease. I use proper "way" oil on sliding surfaces and omni flow 46 hydraulic oil for everything else. I reckon I might try bar oil or motorcycle chain lube on the gears, as suggested by other forum members.
    Cheers

    Pete

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    near Warragul, Victoria
    Posts
    3,510

    Default grease

    Quote Originally Posted by Petip View Post
    I bought my late 1960's Sheraton 4 1/2 (9") AR lathe from the original owner. He always used "alvania grease no. 2" on the roller bearings in the headstock, and engine oil S.A.E 10 on every thing else. This is as per the Sheraton literature. I would say that my lathe is is pretty good nick for its age. I think that the most important thing to remember is that any type of oil regularly is better than the exact specification occasionally.
    I tried oil in the headstock for a little while, however I have now gone back to grease. I use proper "way" oil on sliding surfaces and omni flow 46 hydraulic oil for everything else. I reckon I might try bar oil or motorcycle chain lube on the gears, as suggested by other forum members.
    Cheers

    Pete
    Interesting, my Sheraton AR had grease in the H/stock bearings when I first got it. I thought this was normal until everyone said , its not a good idea. I found that the grease tended to create more resistance , it was a gluggy soup that the motor has to struggle with . On the other hand, with a thin oil applied regularly to the bearings , the spindle really spins over with less resistance - and the finish is better as well . Mike

Similar Threads

  1. DONE: Sheraton lathe
    By warnie100 in forum METALWORK - Machinery, Equipment, MARKET
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th Sep 2012, 05:08 PM
  2. New (Old) Sheraton CUB Lathe
    By Nozzle in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 24th Aug 2012, 01:24 PM
  3. sheraton conquest lathe
    By leopardwood in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 7th Jun 2010, 08:59 PM
  4. Sheraton Lathe
    By electrosteam in forum METALWORK GENERAL
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th Jul 2009, 11:38 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •