Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 20 of 20

Thread: thin weld bead

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    formerly from Sydney (north of The Harbour), NSW, Oz
    Age
    68
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    to set the barrel up to precise bore the trunnion holes deeper now for a shrink fit will require a lot of headaches to get it right
    the barrel now has a taper on it
    just my thoughts, but

    could you drill the trunnion hole all the way through into the barrel cavity, shrink fit/weld each trunnion on
    and then rebore the barrel?
    regards from Canmore

    ian

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Athelstone, SA 5076
    Posts
    4,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post

    could you drill the trunnion hole all the way through into the barrel cavity, shrink fit/weld each trunnion on
    not by this little black duck.....its going to be a firing model cannon....0.5" calibre with black powder and all that whiz BANG stuff...umpteen million (well maybe not that many buts lots n lots) psi in the barrel with unknown forces trying to push the trunnions out sideways to the barrel uh uh! ..its one of the reasons why i wanted as much barrel as possible so that forces (expanding gases) will need to push the projectile out the front and not spend its efforts trying to get out the to the side of the barrel ...thats about where I'll be standing when I light it up

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Depending on the slug and powder charge weight you could be looking at up to 5,000 PSI.
    3 projectiles in one go. Wiley Coyote style.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Athelstone, SA 5076
    Posts
    4,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barterbuilt View Post
    Depending on the slug and powder charge weight you could be looking at up to 5,000 PSI.
    I think you have left out a digit...

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    formerly from Sydney (north of The Harbour), NSW, Oz
    Age
    68
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    not by this little black duck.....its going to be a firing model cannon....0.5" calibre with black powder and all that whiz BANG stuff...umpteen million (well maybe not that many buts lots n lots) psi in the barrel with unknown forces trying to push the trunnions out sideways to the barrel uh uh! ..its one of the reasons why i wanted as much barrel as possible so that forces (expanding gases) will need to push the projectile out the front and not spend its efforts trying to get out the to the side of the barrel ...thats about where I'll be standing when I light it up
    I understand what you're saying, but by drilling holes, albeight shallow ones, to take the trunnions you've already locally weakened the barrel somewhat. I was looking for a way to return the full circumfrential strength to the barrel.
    Perhaps teh trunnions shoud be welded to teh outside of the barrell -- i.e. do away with the shallow holes
    regards from Canmore

    ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. SOLD: New Bead Roller
    By Greg Q in forum METALWORK - Machinery, Equipment, MARKET
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th Feb 2012, 04:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •