PDA

View Full Version : Reversing lights on trailers?

Bazzmate
8th Jun 2009, 01:28 AM
I read in the Aust. design rules for small trailers that 'lamps on a trailer must not show a white light to the rear'. I interpret that as not installing rear or side marker lights with white lenses and base that interpretation on my mechanic's comments when he quoted the same thing about my car (I had a hole in a stop light lens). So I assume it applies to cars also but . . . cars have reversing lights. My interpretation may be wrong?

If it doesn't specifically mention reversing lights in the design rules, is it OK to fit them?

If cars have reversing lights, I can't see why trailers cannot have them also. Does anyone out there know one way or the other?

pipeclay
8th Jun 2009, 09:09 AM
Cant answer your question correctly but would think the ruleing of no white lights would reffer to white lights being permanately on when the towing vehicles lights are on,(so as not to give the impression of an oncoming vehicle).
In my opinion there should be no problem with having reverseing lights fitted ,as they would only be opperational when the vehicle is in reverse.
Just check with the local authorities.

Jim Carroll
8th Jun 2009, 11:38 AM
I think they should have reversing lights on trailers as it gives a bit more warning to others that you are reversing.

We do tend to get home when it is dark and not having reversing lights on is a pain in the butt

As indicated they would have to be wired correctly so as to only come on when reverse selected.

DJ’s Timber
8th Jun 2009, 11:41 AM
They must allow for it as the Black wire or no 2 on a 7pin plug is used for either Auxiliary or Reversing Lights

wheelinround
8th Jun 2009, 11:55 AM
The white light rule covers ALL vehicles

If your in NSW you'll or should notice that taxi's especially do not have their advertising signage illuminated (buses & coaches used to as did cab's till someone pointed out this reg) in these circumstances It distracts and can hide other vehicles from view including on coming traffic. Its the wording of the law that needs changing

I agree with the trailer situation some semi trailers have an additional spotty at the rear for reversing with a toggle switch connected to reversing wiring . In Jim's case he could do the same so could any trailer.

The problem comes from impatient drivers who see the reversing lights which hide the trailer but may show the towing vehicle outline, the bright white light hides the towing vehicle reversing lights, idiots try to go round and next thing they are inside the vehicle.

A simple situation t see how white light effects vision at night is turn on a patio light (no need for one of those big things just a normal globe) now try reversing out. Even with headlights on reflective light hides such as posts people or vehicles in shadows, turn the headlights to parkers which are about the same as tail/reversing lights watage and what a difference.

Yonnee
8th Jun 2009, 09:18 PM
I read in the Aust. design rules for small trailers that 'lamps on a trailer must not show a white light to the rear'.
The regulation is there specifically for the number plate lights and clearance lamps.

There is no requirement for a reverse light on a trailer, but one can be fitted, and if fitted, must comply with the same regulations as a motor vehicle with regard to ADR compliance for the lamp itself, and its positioning.

SNAFU
11th Jun 2009, 11:39 PM
I have fitted reversing lights to our van. Second best thing i've done for backing it at night. Think c/park, at night, with shmbo trying to give instructions:D. The best thing i've done is fitted a toggle switch that alows me to turn off cruziers reversing lights. This stops the car lights reflecting off the van. The lights on the van are ADR aproved, but the car? Prob not so much.