PDA

View Full Version : imported tool post

tanii51
15th May 2009, 09:55 PM
im looking at getting a qc tool postfor my hercus model c maybe this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/17-PC-QUICK-CHANGE-TOOLPOST-KIT-for-Metal-Lathe-NEW_W0QQitemZ260407342017QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca17cb3c1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A5%7C294%3A50#ShippingPayment) from the US.
.. What is the advantage of the chuck+ tool holder shown in the pic over using the tail stock
looks like a knurling tool is included with wheels
including postage is over $100 au less than any i can find in australia is this good value

snowyskiesau
15th May 2009, 10:15 PM
Not sure how useful a chuck would be on a tool post but then I'm just a beginner :)

Check out CDCO Tools (http://www.cdcotools.com). They have a similar QCTP (without the drill chuck) for only $US82. Shipping will be $US42. I can't send a direct link to the item, look under Machine Tool Toolings -> Lathe Tools.
I bout one of these for my 9x20 Chinese lathe a while back. The extra tool holders are pretty good value as well.
The owner, Frank, is good to deal with, He'll make sure that the items you order will fit in a standard USPS shipping package and meets the weight requirements for the standard packages USPS offer (20lbs from memory).
In my last order, he kept telling me that I was under the maximum weight and helpfully offering info on other items that I could purchase to make up the weight.
Send him an email, chances are you'll get a reply tonight.

Big Shed
15th May 2009, 10:20 PM
im looking at getting a qc tool postfor my hercus model c maybe this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/17-PC-QUICK-CHANGE-TOOLPOST-KIT-for-Metal-Lathe-NEW_W0QQitemZ260407342017QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca17cb3c1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A5%7C294%3A50#ShippingPayment) from the US.
.. What is the advantage of the chuck+ tool holder shown in the pic over using the tail stock
looks like a knurling tool is included with wheels
including postage is over $100 au less than any i can find in australia is this good value

I looked at a similar one from Harbor Freight, consensus on some of the lathe forums was that the chuck+toolholder wasn't very useful. In fact, nobody came up with a use for it.

I finished up buying a QCTP from CDCO (http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php), advantage being that they have a large array of toolholders at very competitive prices. Paid $US82 with 4 tool holders, extra ones are around $US9-10.
The other advantage was that they sell a heap of other tooling and I finished up buying a lot of extra stuff for no additional postage, they used the largest USPS Flat Rate box at (then) $US39.95, now $41.95. I was lucky, the Aussie was worht around $US0.95 at the time.

tanii51
15th May 2009, 10:57 PM
phew that didnt take long thanks guys it pays to ask doesnt it, piggy banks being counted again

snowyskiesau
15th May 2009, 11:23 PM
Once thing to be aware of if you decide to order from CDCO. His online store only accepts US addresses. He recommends that you fill in all the detail you can and when it domes to specifying the state/country, just select some US one. Include the real address in the special instructions area and followup up with an email ([email protected])
If, like me, you get a bit carried away when ordering tools :-, you may want to send him an email first letting him know what you want. He'll let you know if the order meets the USPS standard packaging specs.

[I received my latest order from him just the other week - 123 blocks, parallels, a boring head and I got him to fill in any gaps with endmills to make up the weight - may as well get the most value for your shipping dollar!]

12teethperinch
16th May 2009, 02:23 AM
I think the idea for the chuck in the tool post is to be able to use the power feed for drilling. the tool block with the drill in it also holds boring bars.
Darrell

Greg Q
18th May 2009, 05:53 PM
The item you linked is a button or piston type, like the first generation Aloris AX series. The wedge type is said to be much better for repeatable, solid mounting of the toolholders. This type is known as the AXA type, and is made (expensively!!) by Aloris and Dorian. The Chinese copies vary from OK to really good (value).

I bought a wedge type with the same collection of toolholders from a guy named Jeff Beck at tools4cheap.net. He has an ebay shop as well as the above link. Jeff is highly regarded in South Bend lathe circles in the States, and also sells reproduction (and genuine as available) parts for the Hercus/South Bend/Boxford machines.

He too will cram a flat rate box to bursting for no extra charge. His price for holders (which, by the way are the same for AX and AXA posts) may be higher than CDCO.

For the price you can bet that chuck will be a throw-away item. I have that MT2 tool holder and I'm not sure that I'll use it. I do have six of the plain holders and plan to get more, and another boring bar holder as well.

The knurling post also has a slot in which you can mount a facing tool. Mount the holder on the front wedge and get double duty from one holder.

Greg