PDA

View Full Version : tool holder

glenn k
14th Apr 2009, 04:54 PM
Hi all I had this tool holder on my lathe when I got it is it a Hercus part?

steran50
14th Apr 2009, 10:16 PM
Hi all I had this tool holder on my lathe when I got it is it a Hercus part?

HI Glenn K, To the best of My knowledge No it is not a Hercus Part. That is unless Hercus made quick change Tool Posts. As far as I know Hercus lathes ie Model A came out with a Lantern Type Post (this is American Style tool post) and a Conventional Four way Tool Post.
All the Best:) Stewart steran50

glenn k
14th Apr 2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks Stewart so the tool holder on the shadow board behind the lathe is probably the original. If this is a Lantern Type Post.

steran50
15th Apr 2009, 12:00 AM
Yes Glenn that Toolpost on Your Shadow Board is a Lantern Toolpost:2tsup:. It would have been the original Toolpost. When I got My Model A Hercus (Plain Bearing) Lathe. It had both Toolposts with it the Lantern Type and the conventional Four Way Tool Post.
All the best Stewart

Anorak Bob
17th Apr 2009, 01:31 AM
Hello Glenn and Stewart,

Hercus did make a 3 way "Rapid Style Tool Block" for both the later 9" and 260 lathes. Here is some of the blurb from the 1970 9" catalogue .... "The rapid style tool block is mounted direct to a special compound rest top. This compound rest top may be supplied with the lathe in lieu of the standard rest, or it may be supplied as an extra to interchange with the standard rest. Alternatively, a full compound rest assembly comprising special compound rest top with feed screw, gib, swivel etc., maybe supplied to interchange with the standard assembly."

I remember speaking to Hercus a few years ago about this tool post and was told that if they were available they would cost about $1200.!!!! The part number for the 260 version is 5H800 as per the 1991 spare parts manual.

Regards Bob.

glenn k
17th Apr 2009, 03:50 PM
WOW! thanks Bob. I only paid $300 for the lathe about 20 years ago and $350 a couple of months ago to have the bed ground and saddle scraped now it seems to be a good machine. Now I find it only cost me 1/2 the price of a new tool post.