PDA

View Full Version : Topslide nut worn

phelum
12th Apr 2009, 09:56 PM
I've pulled my topslide apart and found that the nut for the feedscrew is rather worn. The slop is about 0.030". This is the big cylindrical nut that is a push fit in the topslide base.

Should I be worried about this ? The thought of making an ACME thread is pretty daunting.

Thanks,

Grahame Collins
12th Apr 2009, 10:30 PM
Hi
I believe that some points to consider,if you wish to renew the cross slide or compound slide nut, would be

1. Taps.Acme raps are available but crikey they are costly,if you can get the correct one.

2. The cross feed screw- it may be worn in the middle or one end-when you cut your new nut.

3.Spares? You never know,you may be lucky there might be spares available. There was for our school Hercus 260.

Cheers

Grahame

phelum
12th Apr 2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Grahame,

1. Taps.Acme raps are available but crikey they are costly,if you can get the correct one.
Yes, they sure are. Bolt.com.au has a few that are too large and are about $270. Yikes. I wonder about grinding a bit to cut the thread but it is too small (3/8" 10TPI).

The screw seems okay. I've checked a few points from end to end and the thread is constant so it's probably not worn. Thanks for the tip here. The topslide was full of filings from the nut but I can't see any marks or sharp edges on the screw.

I'll check at Mick Moyles but might have to leave this in the too hard basket for the moment.

Cheers,

phelum
13th Apr 2009, 10:20 AM
I'll check at Mick Moyles but might have to leave this in the too hard basket for the moment.
Updating my own post, TraceyTools (UK) (http://www.tracytools.com/tapsanddiesacme.htm) sells the required taps and Miller Machine (USA) (http://www.millermachineandfabrication.com/products.html#southbend) sells replacement nuts and screws. I'm checking about overseas deliveries.

bitza500
13th Apr 2009, 04:54 PM
hi Steven, The Hippy my source of new very old new stock has got new top crosslide spindles and nuts which have been sitting for 20+ years as he closed up shop and took all his stock and tools home

I know he has new top ones bottom ones am not sure about but they are all new sitting in a tray so if you are interested I can find out how much he wants as if you find a new price he will definately be cheaper as I think from memory they were $50 for spindle and brass nut

So let us now as I go and see him on Wednesday and if you want I can get it for you and I pay him after you pay me

Also he has 2 types ?? 1 type has the standard thread the other is a pin the handle to the spindle ??
I am not sure if he made the latter for people who had wrecked the thread and had just drilled and pinned the handle on,and he cannot remember either at 75+ years of age it is amazing he can remember all the stuff he has got

So I leave it with you if you want ring me on 0415291212 or email me at
[email protected]

all the best Derek bitza500

phelum
13th Apr 2009, 05:22 PM
So I leave it with you if you want ring me on 0415291212 or email me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Derek,
Thanks for the reply. Please post here or send me a PM if you don't get my e-mail.

Cheers,

Old Fraggle
14th Apr 2009, 07:51 PM
Hiya phelum, I recently made a new Imperial Cross Slide nut for my lathe and purchased the left hand Acme thread tap from e-taps in the States.
Wasn't cheap, but I've got it forever and can make another out of brass stock I have in my collection for no cost second time round.
The initial outlay might be a bit high, but having the right tool in your kit when you need it is pretty handy

Cheers...The Old Fraggle
http://www.e-taps.com/warehouse.htm

I've pulled my topslide apart and found that the nut for the feedscrew is rather worn. The slop is about 0.030". This is the big cylindrical nut that is a push fit in the topslide base.

Should I be worried about this ? The thought of making an ACME thread is pretty daunting.

Thanks,

glenn k
14th Apr 2009, 09:36 PM
How do you get the top slide apart? mine has a bit of slop but I couldn't wind it off like the cross slide.

brittleheart
14th Apr 2009, 10:21 PM
Unscrew the collar bushing from the slide. Then withdraw the thread.
Peter