PDA

View Full Version : Hercus 4-way tool post dwg

neksmerj
28th Mar 2009, 11:51 PM
In an earlier Post, I mentioned that I would draw up my 4-way tool post, poor health intervened.

Anyhow, it's done as attached.

I am not entirely certain just how original everything is, my t-nut looks home made and I'm not certain about the stud. Not sure why it has milled flats on it.

I have not used this tool post as yet, and have just drawn it up as it is.

Perhaps a kind member could verify my dwg against your tool post.

Ken

bitza500
29th Mar 2009, 02:09 AM
Hi Ken, well you must still have some get up and go in you to do these drawings
Have you had chance to do the top bearing assembly for the vertical shaftpulley assy

As I now have 6 lathes in the garage 2 going and 4 stripping but have not got 1 housing that can be use as they are either worn or totally elongated the housing preventing me from boring and bushing as they are way to thin
So can you let me know or will discuss on Wednesday
all the best Derek

neksmerj
29th Mar 2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Derek,

There are a coupe of varieties of counter shaft bearing housings. I can only draw up the later type that houses ball bearings. As an indication, the housing diameter is approx 58.8mm x 28mm long including end cap and houses ball bearing 6203. These are 40mm OD x 17mm ID x 12 thick.

In my case, I have replaced the open bearings with fully sealed units to eliminate lubrication.

If this is the type you are after, please let me know and I will draw them up.

"Another Post hi-jacked!"

Slave driver

Ken

pipeclay
29th Mar 2009, 07:16 PM
Ken I couldnt say if it original,with the stud have you rounded up to a Metric size,the only reason I ask is that the depth of my T slot appears to be just under 15mm,and it would appear that when the Toolpost is tightened down the Stud would bottom out.

The only purpose that I can see for the flats on the Stud would be so you can Lock it into the Tee Nut,so that it doesent come loose when you release the locking handle.

brittleheart
29th Mar 2009, 11:22 PM
This can be explained, as there is an additional disc between the slide and toolpost block.
On my original? toolpost, the disk is clamped by the stud to the slide. The disk has 4 depressions at 90 degrees to allow a sprung ball (in the above block) to click into set positions.
The length of the stud is therefore longer, and the positions of the cutting tools are easily positioned by the sprung ball, the disk and stud being static.
Great input with the drawing Ken, much appreciated.
Regards,
Peter.
PS I have already placed a drawing for the bearing blocks with needle bearings if anyone is keen.