PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Hard to Read Machine Dials

steran50
24th Mar 2009, 10:07 PM
HI ALL:), Yesterday I Phoned Prashant at Standaco Machinery. To find out about the Corect Oil Type for the Gearbox on My 'Top Tech' DM45 Mill/Drill that I Bought of Him recently. Anyway in the Conversation it came up that I had a Old Hercus Lathe and that one of the Dials are hard to Read. Well He gave Me a tip on Repairing the Dial. Prashant said that first You work out distance traveled per turn of Dial ie 3mm per turn. Then cut a thin strip of material and mark out the Graduations on it to suit. Then wrap it around and attatch it your Dial.
Since then I have thought of whatI think isa better way. Work out what Dial Rotation travel distance is and Your Dial Graduations to suit. Then Using another Lathe Machine of Your old Graduations off. Then make up a Collar out of ie Brass, Aluminium etc to suit Your old Dial. Then either use 680 Loctite, Silver Solder or another Method of securing the Collar on. Now Cut some new graduations on it and Hey Presto a New Dial for Your Lathe or any Machine Really.
I will probably use the Collar method on My Hercus. Does anyone know of any Methods to Colour the Graduations ?. The only Method I know of is to cut Your Graduations Deep. Then Paint the Collar and then lightly Machine the outside of the Collar.
All the Best Stewart steran50

bitza500
24th Mar 2009, 11:51 PM
Hi Stewart, I bought 2 brand new dials but could not read them so I got out the trusty old texta and blacked the dials left it for half a hour and just with a tad moist rag of turps and I mean TAD wiped the excess off and bingo can read it perfectly
all the best Derek