PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Forums Worldwide

Rocker
2nd Jun 2004, 10:18 PM
I did a quick, but not totally exhaustive, search on Google for Woodworking forums and their current memberships worldwide to compare their popularity. The results I came up with are as follows:

USA (Pop. ca. 260 million)
Woodnet - 8960 members
Just Woodworking - 665 members
Woodworkweb - 831 members

Australia (Pop. ca. 20 million)
Ubeaut - 3577 members

U.K. (Pop. ca. 60 million)
UK Workshop - 454 members

These numbers illustrate how amazingly successful this forum is. Since I joined the forum about 9 months ago, the membership has grown by about 60%. Probably there is no connection between these two facts, but, on current trends, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Ubeaut will rule the Woodworking forum world. Congratulations to Neil and the team of administrators:)

Rocker

Driver
2nd Jun 2004, 11:38 PM
. . . it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Ubeaut will rule the Woodworking forum world. Congratulations to Neil and the team of administrators:)

Rocker

I second those congratulations, Rocker.

I've had a look at a couple of the US-based forums and frankly, they're boring by comparison with the Ubeaut forum. We know that the poor unfortunate Yanks are irony-challenged and that means the one or two of them who post to this BB from time to time struggle a bit but their own forums are deadly dull. No characters!:rolleyes:

The UK-based ones aren't much better. All a bit too earnest. What they need is a bit less earnest and a bit more Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oy! Oy! Oy! :D

Kev Y.
3rd Jun 2004, 01:20 AM
I have to admit, I once frequented one of the USA based forums, but gave it up as most of the conversation was around thier "local" timber species (I KNOW IAIN - LUMBER!)

From my observations those overseas forums are lacking only because we australian's have a wonderful knack of being able to laugh at themselves. where else in the world can you use the term "Bast@rd" as a term of endearment?

Long live U-Beaut ;) :cool:

Kev

craigb
3rd Jun 2004, 10:43 AM
Australia (Pop. ca. 20 million)
Ubeaut - 3577 members

These numbers illustrate how amazingly successful this forum is. Since I joined the forum about 9 months ago, the membership has grown by about 60%. Probably there is no connection between these two facts, but, on current trends, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Ubeaut will rule the Woodworking forum world. Congratulations to Neil and the team of administrators:)

Rocker

While I wholheartedly concur with your sentiments re this fantastic BB it's a bit of shame that out of 3577 members there are so few posters.
Now it's true that while generally the quality of the people who do post is incredibly high :rolleyes: it would be great IMO if a few more of the 3577 would contribute too.

Al has flushed out a few of them over the last couple of weeks at least.

Also the lurker to member ratio is very high. So in the words of Al "come on in the waters fine".

Cheers
Craig

Bunyip
3rd Jun 2004, 03:54 PM
it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Ubeaut will rule the Woodworking forum world. Congratulations to Neil and the team of administrators:)

Rocker

And a pat of the back for the members too :)

For it's the members that make this BB what it is

RETIRED
3rd Jun 2004, 04:26 PM
Yep! :eek:

Ben from Vic.
3rd Jun 2004, 06:39 PM
And a big loud "Here, here" from my corner.

I'm happy with the way this forum is run, administraited, etc.

I've learned heaps from this place, the poeple are characters and the smilies are great. :D

I also came here from an American BB, this one is much better.

Ben.

Burf
4th Jun 2004, 05:57 PM
While I wholheartedly concur with your sentiments re this fantastic BB it's a bit of shame that out of 3577 members there are so few posters.
Now it's true that while generally the quality of the people who do post is incredibly high :rolleyes: it would be great IMO if a few more of the 3577 would contribute too.

Al has flushed out a few of them over the last couple of weeks at least.

Also the lurker to member ratio is very high. So in the words of Al "come on in the waters fine".

Cheers
Craig
In defense of the lurkers, I would suggest that the reason most of us lurk is that in the presence of so many experienced people we don't have much to offer. In my own case whenever I have had a problem, most of the time I can find the answer without opening up a new thread.
It is an absolutely fantastic Forum to lurk on and there are not too many days when I miss.

ozwinner
4th Jun 2004, 06:32 PM
it's a bit of shame that out of 3577 members there are so few posters.

Hey, how did you know my post code?? :confused: :D
Ill tell the rest of town to get busy with posts. :(

Al

damocles
13th Jul 2004, 11:19 AM
Whilst the research on membership was not extensive, on the figures shown Australia has more members of woodwork forums per head of population than the US and UK, 1 every 5590 for Aussie, 1 per 10456 for the USA and 1 every 132000 for the UK.

GO AUSSIE! :)

John Saxton
14th Jul 2004, 08:30 PM
Goes to show what a beaut web-site U has, abley assisted with tolerant :rolleyes: moderators.

Keep up the good work you folk out there, unseen but ever hovering with fingers poised!

Cheers :)

Christopha
15th Jul 2004, 06:33 PM
Except for me..... I bin given the toss..... boo bloody hoo!

ozwinner
15th Jul 2004, 06:38 PM
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/edoom/sad2.gif

Sorry to hear about that..

Maybe stoppers can make a come back now? ;)

Al

Christopha
15th Jul 2004, 06:57 PM
Stoppers? nah..... he was too "confused" (I think) even if he was incredibly good looking and modest to a fault. Stuffit, I'm off to get tired and emotional.