PDA

View Full Version : Build me a dog trailer

jatt
22nd Feb 2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah, cant complain about the lack of variety in the workshop. This week the orders were issued to make a 4 berth trailer. Never made one of those before. "Make it from 40 mm RHS", the boss barked.

Kinda just making it up as I go along. Figured a basic box trailer subframe with recessed guards should do the trick.

Using 40 mm RHS for the basic frame as well, as per request. Making up individual doorways to access each berth.

Using 5 leaf slipper springs, GM stubs.

So here is my progress so far.

jatt
22nd Feb 2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah it would help if my fotos came up

dazzler
22nd Feb 2009, 08:28 PM
looks good....have fun :2tsup:

Yonnee
23rd Feb 2009, 10:40 PM
Holy Sheet!! :o

40mm Square!! The chassis I understand, but the skeletal frame?

So, the customer's got 4 St. Bernards. :?

jatt
24th Feb 2009, 07:14 PM
Holy Sheet!! :o

40mm Square!! The chassis I understand, but the skeletal frame?

So, the customer's got 4 St. Bernards. :?

I know, I know. I argued the same point. At the end of the day I just build it the way I'm told to. The boss pays the bills (and my wage), what more can I say.

shallis2
11th Aug 2009, 02:37 PM
Hi
Really interested in this build. Want to start building one soon as second hand dog trailers are a bit thin on the ground.
Have you got some more photos?
I wont be using 40mm for body frame as want it as light as possible.
What will you clad it in? alloy/foam? fiberglass?
Cheers
Wayne

Fossil
11th Aug 2009, 03:09 PM
I guess if the boss has a full pack of 50 shs that he got cheap, then that's what you make everything out of till the pack is gone. :wink:

WicketKeeper
11th Aug 2009, 04:31 PM
If you're just transporting the dogs, then you could just use Caravan cladding. Readily available.

Yonnee
11th Aug 2009, 04:38 PM
If you're just transporting the dogs, then you could just use Caravan cladding. Readily available.

But if you notice, Wayne's from the QLD, so may want to consider some form of insulated panel for the heat, more than keeping them warm.

But having said that, most of the dog floats I've seen run roof spinners and louvres in the doors, keeping them well ventilated.

I would suggest the chassis in 40mm sq, and the rest of the frame in 25mm sq.

shallis2
11th Aug 2009, 05:25 PM
Hi all
has to be insulated!!
with the humidity and temp its got to be. It will also have vents and spinners.
Chassis and frame sizes was what i was looking at.

I was looking at fibreglass composite panels, already insulated, finished fibreglass exterior,
has anyone built with panels like these?
I havent priced but it may be a bit expensive for a one off.
Wayne

Fossil
11th Aug 2009, 05:45 PM
What about cool room insulated alum panels. They are available in 2" or 4" thicknesses.

shallis2
11th Aug 2009, 05:57 PM
Good idea!
I had only seen 4" ones which are too thick.
The 2" might do the job
Wayne

jatt
11th Aug 2009, 09:24 PM
It honestly hasnt progressed much further than what u can see on the fotos.

Have cladded one side and roof in ally caravan stuff. One sheet simply locks into another. Ran sheets along the side and will cut sections for doors in due course.

Mentioned insulation to the boss, so far no definite replys on what he wants in that dept.

That 2 inch cool room panelling that was suggested definetely has merit.

But yeah when I make more progress will post more pics.

jatt
17th Jan 2010, 09:51 PM
Yep over the Xmas/new year hols I found some workshop time to do some more. Got the cladding on and sealed off around between the inside of the guards and the formply floor. Cut out cladding around the doors.

Still lots more to do. Hopefully it wont take me several months to get time to finish the project off. The yard is once again full of vans/campers etc... so I wont hold my breath.

flutepaper
27th Sep 2011, 05:33 PM
What happen to the trailer? I'm starting a trailer project myself and I am going into it blind with a shape eye for light so please finish the trailer :2tsup:

jatt
28th Sep 2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry bloke. Yeah its all done now. Will have to take some more fotos of it.

There is one of our campers on it. For the edging around the main box, jambs and doors I just used some ally angle.

Hint if you plan on doing the same allow plenty of clearance between the door frames and the jambs for this.

Most of the newer commercially built units seem to be rounded at the front. I didnt go to that much trouble, but I'm sure it wouldnt be too bad to do if u have all of the skeleton bent the same at the front.

flutepaper if u have any questions just fire away. My version of a dog trailer is pretty basic compared to whats on offer commercially. Havent even put dividers inside as all of the pets have their own cages and the boss uses the remaining space to put stuff like awning poles etc...

The trailer now is being used out on the road, no complaints from the owner, so have to assume all is well.

Might take a week or so 4 me to get back, its really crazy for me at present.

Grandad-5
28th Sep 2011, 07:44 PM
There is one of our campers on it.
Ah hah!
That probably explains why he wanted a 40mm frame.

Most of the newer commercially built units seem to be rounded at the front. I didnt go to that much trouble, but I'm sure it wouldnt be too bad to do if u have all of the skeleton bent the same at the front.
One of the easiest/cheapest way of doing those curves is to ask a local metal fabrication shop to roll a section of the RHS you use for the frame (I've used 25mm in the ones I've made) into a circle of the desired radius. Just cut it into 1/4's and you've got 4. One for each corner. Easy!

Cheers
Jim

jatt
29th Sep 2011, 07:42 AM
"metal fabrication shop to roll a section of the RHS you use for the frame." Yeah I did the same with the horse float. That was certainly big fab job 4 me, but in the end certainally worth it. Used uprights/columns from the subframe to support the extra weight on the top. Gussets up the top help with rigidity. Was concerned with keeping water out of the trailer if I cut holes in the roof to support the extra weight up top.