PDA

View Full Version : Tail stock centre size Help

dude09
15th Feb 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi guys,have done a rough search on the Hercus forum in relation to what size centre i need to buy to fit in the tail stock .Have seen these on E-Bay (MT1-MT2-MT3) what ever this means .Once i work out the size i should be able to buy a live centre and drill chuck .As you may have worked out by reading this i am very green when it comes to this lathe .Only had the thing for around 2 months and havn't played around with one of these rigs since school days and showing my age i do believe it was a Hercus .
Would welcome any advice .
Cheers Dave

weisyboy
15th Feb 2009, 09:20 PM
MT stands for morse taper.

most lathes are MT2 but i am not sure on the hercus.

sorry im not mutch help:C

wannabe
15th Feb 2009, 09:49 PM
The talstock taper for the Hercus is MT2.

.RC.
15th Feb 2009, 11:05 PM
A bit of history on the morse taper..

It was invented around 1864 by Stephen Morse and comes in 8 different sizes from size 0 to size 7..
Every morse taper size has a different taper and the reason for this is back in those days it was very hard to make an accurate taper as such when Stephen Morse made the original eight different masters they all had different tapers in them..

These eight original tapers were then used as masters where every morse taper made could be traced back to in some way..

Apparently the original's are on display in a museum in Britain and if you got a new morse taper today it will still fit perfectly into the original made back sometime around 1864.

dude09
16th Feb 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks a lot guys ,very much appreciated . MT ( Morse Taper ) i must have had a few bowls of stupid for breakfast not to work this out .Sorry guys the penny didn't drop .
Cheers Dave

aljunk
18th Feb 2009, 12:42 AM
Actually all morse tapers have the same taper (taper per foot), they are just different sizes. I don't recall the taper per ft but it's around 5/'8"/ft

.RC.
18th Feb 2009, 08:14 AM
Actually all morse tapers have the same taper (taper per foot), they are just different sizes. I don't recall the taper per ft but it's around 5/'8"/ft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper#Sizes The taper is different for each size..

aljunk
19th Feb 2009, 01:00 AM
Thanx for that info RC. I was always under the impression that they were the same, so I'm a bit wiser about tapers now!

wannabe
19th Feb 2009, 09:01 AM
I remember reading somewhere that in theory they were all supposed to be the same taper, just different dimensions but in the the days before calculators the rounding errors in the calcs caused the differences.