PDA

View Full Version : Forum upgrade

steven
8th May 2004, 12:44 AM
Hi guys

I've just upgraded the forum software to the latest version of vBulletin. The current look of the forum is temporary, it'll go back to the more familiar look tomorrow. There is a ton of new features and much better functionality, I'm sure Neil or any of the mods will be able to answer any question as they pop-up.

If you have any positive or negative feedback post it here, we're all interested in what you guys think of the upgrade.

cheers

Steve Richards

Robert WA
8th May 2004, 01:27 AM
SHIIIIIIIIIITE. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You should warn us when you are going to make changes. I pressed the button and was suddenly confronted with the colour scheme of the interior of a Kalgoorlie brothel. I am much to old to be reminded of things like that.

Of course, I only know about that from seeing it on TV.

Like all upgrades it will take a while to learn. I have no doubt that the boffins among us will have answers to any questions that arise.

This is a good opportunity to thank Ubeaut and all of the Admin people for your efforts on our behalf. This is a great forum.

Neil
8th May 2004, 02:26 AM
Steven - Well done mate. Thanks for the time and effort.

Robert - At the very bottom of each page on the left hand side is a little dropdown menu. This presently contains three styles, at least one of them is scary. You can choose from any of these styles and later on maybe more. Some aren't too scary.

The previous style (with a couple of minor alterations) was Neils :rolleyes:

Cheers - Neil :D

bitingmidge
8th May 2004, 08:02 AM
yep! I want to endorse Robert's words of thanks to all involved in providing this terrific service.

Love the upgrade too, but miss the "www" button on each members post/profile. It was a quick way of seeing what members were on about ;).

Now there is no way of scanning new members sites for instance, without opening the whole profile.

A small constructive comment rather than criticism(!), for what is a much faster and cleaner format.

Thanks again,

P

ubeaut
8th May 2004, 09:03 AM
Bitingmidge - all you have to do is click on the persons name and if they have a homepage it will be there in the drop down list along with other stuff. No need to go to their profile etc. Click on my name (above) and you will see what I mean.

If there is no homepage in the list, they either don't have one or haven't included it in their profile.

JackoH
8th May 2004, 09:56 AM
Hell of a Shock! :eek: (Surprise) Neil. You are right, of course. Much more user friendly and a loverly blue! :cool:

steven
8th May 2004, 10:00 AM
Love the upgrade too, but miss the "www" button on each members post/profile. It was a quick way of seeing what members were on about ;).

Now there is no way of scanning new members sites for instance, without opening the whole profile.

A small constructive comment rather than criticism(!), for what is a much faster and cleaner format.

Hows the layout now?

Dan
8th May 2004, 11:40 AM
Is there any way to make the preview box that pops up when you hold the cursor over a thread title stay on a bit longer?

Sturdee
8th May 2004, 11:42 AM
I like the new format.

Neil, with this upgrade can the location field be made a compulsary field when new members register? Would save a lot of unnecessary posts asking where they are located.

Peter.

SteveI
8th May 2004, 11:45 AM
ahh Sturdee

Let me guess - you use the Triton style rather than Neil's - something about the colour I think?

Nic0
8th May 2004, 12:03 PM
Looks great and the pages and searches load alot quicker to. :D

Shane Watson
8th May 2004, 12:11 PM
Looks great. After a very quick look round it seems a lot of the controls us Admin guys use are easier to find and access! That means Robbo, Neil & myself will be quicker than ever in catching you guys out!! Mwahahahaha!! :cool: Luv the new look too! Though is does seem to run a little slower for me than the old one. But then I am still dealing with that damn virus!!! :mad: I also luv the log in box being up the top now! Not that I had to log in unless my cookies were reset but it will be nice not having to scroll down to the bottom. I am also sure the Tritoneers will luv the idea of having the whole board in triton colour scheme! haha :D

MICKYG
8th May 2004, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone, love the change and more importantly appreciate all the great reading and practical ideas. I have a few to post myself, just waiting on a digital camera. :)

This is really an asset to any woodie, or those who enjoy playing with wood and machine, Thanks to all

kind Regards

Mike. ;)

steven
8th May 2004, 02:18 PM
Looks great and the pages and searches load alot quicker to. :D
The main reason for this is its temporarily on a dual xeon server that only hosts a handfull of other sites. I'll move it back to the other one when neil is happy with how this is working and we can delete to old forum.

Is there any way to make the preview box that pops up when you hold the cursor over a thread title stay on a bit longer?

You're right it doesnt stay on long enough, i'll check it out tonight.

cheers

Sturdee
8th May 2004, 04:57 PM
ahh Sturdee

Let me guess - you use the Triton style rather than Neil's - something about the colour I think?

I've just had a play with the formats and can see what you mean. Don't know what format to settle on but so far I am using vbulletin3 not orange. :D :D

Peter.

Sturdee
8th May 2004, 05:45 PM
Having done a search using the New Posts button I am unable to find the Mark All Forums Read Button. Can anyone tell me where it is hiding?

Peter.

Sir Stinkalot
8th May 2004, 06:07 PM
Had the same problem myself ... try under the "Quick Link" drop down. It does seem a little odd that a quick link that used to take one step now takes two thanks to the "quick link" feature :rolleyes:

Geoff Allen
10th May 2004, 03:49 PM
Where am I? Lost in Space perhaps? :)

Well I reckon it looks great, feels great and tastes alright as well.

Good onya Neil obviously "Ubeaut's still the one" (not sure about my spelling and punctuation tho.

Happy motoring

Geoff

bitingmidge
10th May 2004, 03:55 PM
Hows the layout now?

The more I play, the more I love it!

Cheers,

P

Sturdee
11th May 2004, 08:41 PM
Why is it that we, who did not have an unusual decription prior to the upgrade, are now described as "Registered User" ? Bit strange as unregistered users ( guests) can not post.

I also note that the ability to change these descriptions is also now removed.

Peter.

Neil
12th May 2004, 09:00 AM
Sturdee - Nothing to my knowledge has been removed only lots of new features added. You can still change your description by going to the User CP and then into Edit Profile....... It's still there as it always was.

You can also do lots of other cool things like having a range of fonts in your post.

Wayne Davy
12th May 2004, 02:46 PM
Love the upgrade. Got a bit lost at first but all fine now - well done guys/gal.

Bob Willson
12th May 2004, 03:23 PM
This is heaps better than the old board .
Is it possible that we can have a separate window opening for the profiles of members as we used to have with the old board? I found this to be a lot faster to use, as rather than having to use the back button and wait for the page to reload, I just had to close the extra window and I was back on the board again.

Sturdee
12th May 2004, 05:27 PM
Sturdee Nothing to my knowledge has been removed only lots of new features added. You can still change your description by going to the User CP and then into Edit Profile....... It's still there as it always was.

Neil, that's what I looked, however it only allows your Email & Password, Location, Optional Information and the Additional Information to be changed but not the description.

Peter.

Ben from Vic.
12th May 2004, 05:51 PM
Is it possible that we can have a separate window opening for the profiles of members .....

Bob,

You can choose to open any link or button to a "new window" by simply clicking on the button/member name/link/etc with the right mouse button, then click on "Open link in new window" it's the second option down.

(Almost) Anything is easy when you know how ;)

Oh, the new Forum format is great. :)

Ben.

Bob Willson
12th May 2004, 06:02 PM
Hi Ben
Yes thanks, I did know that, I just preferred the way it used to happen in the original BB.

bitingmidge
12th May 2004, 06:44 PM
Why is it that we, who did not have an unusual decription prior to the upgrade, are now described as "Registered User" ? ..... I also note that the ability to change these descriptions is also now removed.

I noticed that as well...although I would have thought that "Registered User" was in fact a very unusual description!

No chance of changing at the moment unless the menu is hidden somewhere less obvious.

Cheers,

P

ozwinner
12th May 2004, 07:56 PM
I just loves the new forum look.............

Its so much more funner........................

Cheers, Al :)

RETIRED
12th May 2004, 08:27 PM
As Neil said: Go into UserCP.

Edit profile.

2nd Box down Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members

Custom User Title; Add what you want and save changes.

Barry_White
12th May 2004, 08:27 PM
Is it possible that we can have a separate window opening for the profiles of members as we used to have with the old board? I found this to be a lot faster to use, as rather than having to use the back button and wait for the page to reload, I just had to close the extra window and I was back on the board again.
Hi Bob

I just found if you click on the thread starters name in the search results it opens their profile in a new window as you want.

RETIRED
12th May 2004, 08:30 PM
Just beat me!:D

Barry_White
12th May 2004, 08:42 PM
Custom User Title; Add what you want and save changes.
Robbo
When I go into where you said the above does not appear any where to add anything. Maybe only administraters can do it but doen't appear for us lowly ones.

Sturdee
12th May 2004, 08:53 PM
Robbo
When I go into where you said the above does not appear anywhere to add anything. Maybe only administraters can do it but doesn't appear for us lowly ones.

I agree. That section only has provision for changing your Birth Date, Home Page URL and Instant Messaging. :confused:

Maybe the solution is to give us all Administrator status. :D

Peter.

Barry_White
12th May 2004, 08:58 PM
Peter

Thanks for correcting my spelling before Bob got me.

John Saxton
12th May 2004, 09:05 PM
Neil/U-Beaut...and Administrators personally I do not care how often you change the look/format of this great BB.

Having somewhere to go to share/take options across the medium is in my view being mindful :o of the local content offered in an otherwise humourless world.

All felicitations on a good job well done in previous years and looking forward to many more in a growing and terriffic BB.

Cheers :)

Sturdee
12th May 2004, 09:18 PM
Peter

Thanks for correcting my spelling before Bob got me.

No problems, Bazza.

Proofreading and correcting spelling mistakes comes naturally to me. I suppose, as Geoffs said in another post, it comes from reading a lot from an early age.

Just don't call me an Honorable Spell Checker. :D :D :D

Peter.

Shane Watson
12th May 2004, 09:20 PM
Boyz I have looked all through the admin options and can't see any setting that needs changing to allow you access to change your user title.
As Robbo does, I also have the facilites to change my user title through UserCP. THere really shouldn't be any reason why you guys can't as well. Maybe Neil knows of something to alter that I can't find but you'll have to wait a few days till he gets back from the Brisi WWWshow...

Oh and if ya don't like my spelling...TO BAD! Don't read!! ;)

Cheers!

ozwinner
12th May 2004, 09:38 PM
Oh and if ya don't like my spelling...TO BAD! Don't read!! ;)
http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/realhappy/luxhello.gifhttp://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/realhappy/luxhello.gifhttp://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/realhappy/luxhello.gifhttp://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/realhappy/luxhello.gif

Goodonya.

Al

Caliban
12th May 2004, 10:40 PM
Guys
New layout scared the hell out of me. In fact I could not post any replies(yeah, I know, that was the intention! :D )
But seriously, to be able to post I had to close netscape and use Microsoft Internet Explorer instead. Not so easy as this laptop is setup to use the network at work which runs netscape as their default browser, so I have to change my default browser each time I change location. So Neil, does this newest version require some later version of netscape? It always worked perfectly with the older version of this BB. :confused: :confused: Netscape tries to let me post but the window such as I'm typing this in does not appear. Everything else works

Other than that I love the newer features.
Also thanks for the fantastic BB
cheers
Jim
ps will see you at the Sydney show. I'll be the one without a dictionary, that little attempt at humour has landed me in the poop too much lately. ;)

davo453
14th May 2004, 12:03 PM
I like the new layout but i?ve noticed a problem.

It doesn?t like some punctuation like "I?d" that question mark is suposed to be a puntuation mark. and ?these are supposed to be quotation marks?
It works ok if you type directly into the window but if you write it in word (cos I can't spell) then paste it in it doesn?t come out even though it looks ok on the screen before you send it

an odd problem I know but It used to work ok

Cheers Dave

Bob Willson
14th May 2004, 02:27 PM
Written in Word 2000 running under XP Pro and then cut'n'pasted.

Trial of punctuation marks. ””””””””””””
Here be commas ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Testing of question marks ????????????????
Trial of semi colons ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Full colons:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Apostrophes ‘’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’

Sorry Davo, I can't replicate your problem.

davo453
14th May 2004, 02:35 PM
Very odd Bob, thanks for trying though, I?m using Windows XP home edition, and office XP with the default word template.

Oh well.................

Computers are a constant source of frustration for me (and I used to be a systems analyst).

Cheers Dave

davo453
14th May 2004, 03:30 PM
incedently if I cut your post paste it into word then paste it back into the forum I get this.

Trial of punctuation marks. ????????????
Here be commas ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Testing of question marks ????????????????
Trial of semi colons ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Full colons:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Apostrophes ??????????????????????????????????

obviously my problem though......

Caliban
14th May 2004, 09:04 PM
Davo
What browser are you using?
I couldn't even post with netscape but no probs with Internet explorer.
Maybe it isn't word or xp at all.
Just a suggestion
cheers
Jim

davo453
15th May 2004, 01:21 PM
Ah yes Jim you are my hero

I'm using Opera and as you suggest when I try explorer it works ok, I like Opera though and it used to be ok. never mind.........

Thanks again Dave

bitingmidge
15th May 2004, 01:37 PM
!@#$%^&*()_+={}[]|\:;"'<>?/

Apple's Safari works fine, cutting and pasting from Appleworks!

:D :D :D

Just thought I'd do that because I'm a smartie pants!

Cheers,

P

davo453
15th May 2004, 02:54 PM
Aaaah the problem there is Apples stuck in the mud, Microsoft etc keep developing not for the better but developing none the less :D :D :D

Sir Stinkalot
15th May 2004, 06:28 PM
I have just scrolled down to the bottom of the index page to the "What's Going On? .... Currently Active Users". First of all it is good to see that I am listed first but I have also noticed that "Rocker" and "Derekcohen" both have a small "+" sign next to their names .... no other user has this. What does the "+" represent? and where can I get one??

Stinky

Barry_White
15th May 2004, 06:41 PM
Stinky

The + means that the user is on your Buddy List.

See the bottom of this page.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/online.php?order=asc&sort=username&pp=25&page=1

ozwinner
15th May 2004, 06:46 PM
What does the "+" represent? and where can I get one??

Stinky
Looks like you aint ever getting one....:D

Al

Sturdee
15th May 2004, 07:52 PM
.....it is good to see that I am listed first.....
Stinky

So sorry Stinky but not on my computer. :) :)

Peter.

glenn k
16th May 2004, 02:40 AM
I would like to know how to do this aswell, sometimes try 3 or 4 times and still can't read it all.

Dan
16th May 2004, 10:21 AM
Glenn,
I'm beginning to think it might be something to do with Windows rather than the board. If you place your cursor over one of the browser icons (or an icon in the system tray) the little box that pops to tell you what the icon does stays up for about the same time (3-4secs).

zathras
16th May 2004, 12:19 PM
Glenn,
I'm beginning to think it might be something to do with Windows rather than the board. If you place your cursor over one of the browser icons (or an icon in the system tray) the little box that pops to tell you what the icon does stays up for about the same time (3-4secs).

Dan,

you are quite correct, the default time a tooltip is displayed for is based upon your double click time as the following Microsoft article describes:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/tooltip/messages/ttm_setdelaytime.asp

You can increase the duration of the text displayed by increasing the double click time, however this will also delay the text being displayed by the time set for the double click time. The default duration the tip is shown for is 10x the double click time. You can increase the double click time in the Mouse applet of the Control Panel.

Bob Willson
16th May 2004, 12:47 PM
When I click on new posts first up I will get a listing of about 3 pages of stuff. After reading the ones I am interested in I click on new posts again to see if there are any more recent ones that have come in while I was reading the others. Usually, this will just update the new posts,. However, if it has been a while since I originally asked for the new posts and I click it after about 1/2 an hour (total guess at time) then the display will ONLY show the most recent of posts and I lose the others. :(

Can this complete update time be increased or is just a glitch?

Bob Willson
16th May 2004, 02:14 PM
Definitely a half hour. Just tested it.

Gumby
17th May 2004, 04:41 PM
Anybody know how to change to a custom avatar instead of selecting from the list already available. I can't do it. :rolleyes:

craigb
17th May 2004, 05:00 PM
I was going to say yes because it used to be a simple thing to do on the old version of VBulletin. I've just checked though and I can't see how you do it now either.

I know this is not helping you, but I'd like to know how to do it now too.

Confused

Craig

Barry_White
17th May 2004, 06:17 PM
This was asked earlier in the post but apparently we have to wait until Neil returns to find out how it can be done.

RETIRED
17th May 2004, 06:40 PM
Gooday all.

I have been slack in answering most things.

In all honesty I do not know how to do most of the things you asked about.

Barry is right: Wait until Neil gets home and those things that can be fixed shall be. :confused:

Icould probably do some of them but I may bugger the board up as well which would make even more people hostile :eek:

So hang in there fellers and ladies.

bitingmidge
17th May 2004, 09:15 PM
However, if it has been a while since I originally asked for the new posts and I click it after about 1/2 an hour (total guess at time) then the display will ONLY show the most recent of posts and I lose the others.

Curiously, if I impatiently double click my bookmark shortcut, the nasty server thinks I've been there half a second ago, and even if I haven't been around for a day or two the nasty thing tells me there are no new posts!

I think there is a time bizzo there somewhere to give an extension by day/week or whatever, but don't know if it applies in this situation.

Must try!

P

Sir Stinkalot
20th May 2004, 11:05 PM
My problem with the new board is this smiles ..... :p

The problem being ..... the colouration makes it look sick.
Other than that all is working well.

ubeaut
24th May 2004, 06:28 PM
OK, I'm back and so are the Custom Avatars and Custom User Titles.

For those who don't use custom user titles there are a whole new set of user titles, as follows:

Administrator: The Gods of these Forums with the power to move mountains and all sorts of other really neat stuff.
Super Moderators: Demi Gods with similar powers but not quite as as many.
Moderators: Lesser demi Gods with power over their own realm.

Apprentice (New Members): 0 - 19 posts.
Novice: 20 - 49 posts
Member: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Member: 100 - 499 posts
Gold Member: 500 - 999 posts
Diamond Member: 1,000 - 1,499 posts
Most Valued Member: 1,500+ posts

Other good stuff will come as I have a bit more time to investigate the full workings and potential of this new beast. Fun things like User reputations and other really cool stuff which I haven't quite figured out just yet.

bitingmidge
24th May 2004, 06:53 PM
Hey Neil! Welcome back!

I guessed you'd been fiddling around because the whole thing turned a pale yellowy orange again, just when I was getting used to the classy greys...Love the rest of your work though!

Thanks,

P

ubeaut
25th May 2004, 02:34 AM
P - You can go back to the classy greys (which for the non colour blind are actually classy blues) by going to the bottom of the page and changing the setup from Neils :) to vBulletin 3 :rolleyes: or if you're brave enough, to Triton 2 :eek:

jackiew
25th May 2004, 07:18 PM
I just saw that I made senior member with 100 posts :D are you sure that senior member is 200-499 posts Or is it like being a runner where women become veterans at a younger age than men :p

Caliban
25th May 2004, 07:20 PM
Neil
leave us colour blind *&*&^ alone.
Also :eek: is right when it comes to Triton users.
Go on crucify me. Why should kenmill be the only one everyone hates?

ozwinner
25th May 2004, 07:30 PM
Go on crucify me. Why should kenmill be the only one everyone hates?
He isnt.

ubeaut
26th May 2004, 04:06 PM
OOPS! I'm a silly sausage. I put in the wrong posting numbers. The ammended ones are above in my last post.

Hovo - How cruel. Not everyone hates kenmil.

bitingmidge
26th May 2004, 04:36 PM
P - You can go back to the classy greys (which for the non colour blind are actually classy blues)

Or for those with a monochrome monitor. . .
Cheers,

P

outback
26th May 2004, 06:36 PM
Where has all the pics gone?

1.When I look at a thread with an image, i get a blank box, with a mesaage saying attached images.
2. I go to user CP change the preference to not show pics, then recheck the thread, i now have a link, which I can click on to see pic,
3. Back to user Cp change preference to show pics, check thread then the pic shows as per normal.

What the hell am I doin' wrong, this all only started a couple of days ago?

ozwinner
26th May 2004, 08:09 PM
Apprentice (New Members): 0 - 19 posts.
Novice: 20 - 49 posts
Member: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Member: 100 - 499 posts
Gold Member: 500 - 999 posts
Diamond Member: 1,000 - 1,499 posts
Most Valued Member: 1,500+ posts

No platinum, Ive always wanted to go platinum. :(

Al :)

ubeaut
27th May 2004, 12:11 AM
The pics have been changed to thumbnails to save loading time and space. If they don't show on your screen then it is most likely a problem with your browser settings or the browser itself. If anyone else is having proplems seing the thumbnails let's know what browser you are using and we will see if there is a common thread. :rolleyes:

Cheers - Neil

PS I couldn't spell platinum! :(

Sturdee
27th May 2004, 09:28 AM
PS I couldn't spell platinum! :(

It looks like even Neil is wary of the spelling Nazi's :eek:

Peter.

PaulS
27th May 2004, 10:19 AM
Neil,
I get the same thing with the thumbnails. There is a box but no thumbnail. BUT i can move the cursor to where the link should be and then i click and the picture opens up in a new windom.

I am using IE ver 6.0.2800.11061S

Paul

outback
27th May 2004, 05:18 PM
I'm using IE ver 6 with all the updates.

I don't get the link without first going through the hoops as explained.

PaulS
27th May 2004, 05:30 PM
Where has all the pics gone?

1.When I look at a thread with an image, i get a blank box, with a mesaage saying attached images.
2. I go to user CP change the preference to not show pics, then recheck the thread, i now have a link, which I can click on to see pic,
3. Back to user Cp change preference to show pics, check thread then the pic shows as per normal.

What the hell am I doin' wrong, this all only started a couple of days ago?
Followed outbacks tip, except when I log in again everthing is OK.
Its a mystery!!!

Barry_White
27th May 2004, 05:49 PM
Just went into the following post and the and most of the pictures are full size!

What happened?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=7113&page=1&pp=15

ozwinner
27th May 2004, 05:52 PM
Maybe cause its an old post?

Al

Barry_White
27th May 2004, 06:02 PM
No because earlier in the day they were thumbnail pictures and some of them were only posted today.

It looks the same in the other threads

Neil
27th May 2004, 07:17 PM
I switched them back to full size for a little while.

Neil
28th May 2004, 01:45 AM
OK they're :D back as thumbnails again. Hopefully this time without any problems.