PDA

View Full Version : What did they paint these lathes with????

bitza500
22nd Dec 2008, 11:17 PM
Hi all, can someone please help , as I am repaintaing and trying to get as much off the original 1954 Dark Blue I can only get so far and just cannot strip the casting bare
Over the weekend I applied a coat of Poly utrethane over the primed parts and did it blister and blow up the Paintwork
Since starting these parts have been soaked in Mineral Turps (did nothing) Enamel Thinners (same) Gun Wash( same) so 20 litres of good quality Acrylic thinners never even made a scratch??
I have been scraping wire wheel and all avenues open to me (sandblasting is my last resort)
But even Paint stripper covered in Plastic did very little (I hope you are reading GENE )
So after my first batch of paint went off It rubbed off after 2 weeks ) I am now the Spray can kid So long as I can remove the first paint job I did it paints and does not produce Crows feet
Paint over the sanded (my Paintwork and it Blisters)
Both paints are from the same company and same type
I just got the S#&Ts and bought the same product in a spray can and is now going Black as the selection of colours was not a brilliant one

So please anybody advise as this is driving me nuts as I have to start from Scratch when some of the first batch is 6 months old ,the second batch just rubbed off

The new spraycan is like rock and works well on bare (No OLD paint) surfaces
As I have now 5 items needing to be stripped again I thought I would ask the Brains trust
So Any ideas ?????

all the best Derekbitza500

steran50
22nd Dec 2008, 11:33 PM
HI DEREK, Have You tried using Prepwash (used to be call Prepsol) to Clean any Oil,Dust, Silicone etc off Your Parts ?. I am certainly no expert Spray Painter, but I have used Prepwash constantly and had no problems. I seem to remember being told that Turps can cause some Problems with some Paints ie Automotive Enamel ( I could be wrong though). If GENE is reading He will probably have the right answer. On another note I will get back to You as soon as I can with those Motor Pulley Dimensions off My Hercus.
All the Best for Xmas and the New Year:).
All the best Stewart

bitza500
23rd Dec 2008, 12:25 AM
Hi Stewart, I have tried all sorts as I thought Acrylic Thinners which is the strongest would work but no
As for the Pulley Dimensions Thank you for reminding me as I was about to remachine a new pulley as my double is broken and as I have yet to find a place that sells Metal Pulleys ,I will make one but as I have both single and double pulleys I can run single (if I ever get it finished to work again )

As I had a argument with a bench saw and lost real bad I am limited to what I can do as I sat my hand on the saw blade (OUCH) well 2 1/2 Months later I have 1 dodgy finger I very sensitive finger 1 missing a inch and my little finger has a chunk missing
So being as cautious as I can i am one handed until all the swelling goes down so I can get full movement

So with the paint problem on top of that it has not been a happy time

Did you work out your colour yet now it has seen daylight ???

all the best derek bitza500

fubar
23rd Dec 2008, 06:54 AM
check this post out for some ideas www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=47989&highlight=lathe+restoration
this fellow seems to have worked out machine restoration fairly well