PDA

View Full Version : Hercus User Names

bitza500
19th Dec 2008, 11:37 PM
As replies are slow regarding the Register I will put everyone's UserName ONLY and that way if you want me to do the Regisiter properly please let me know as I do not want to Offend and UserNames are on the Forum anyway
1.bitza500
2. Neksmerji
3Pipeclay
4.Footz
5.Katz
6.Yeti
7.Mob
8.Pete F
9.Beetle
10.Brett C
11.Buncha
12Damian
13.Wannabe
14.Fraserbluff
15Fraserbluff
16.Brittleheart
17.Jomac6
18.Making Stuff
19.Ralphie
20Gregoryq ( now been stripped)
21.Knotaclue
22.Drummond
23.12Teethperinch
24John Budden 60
25.Blankfrancis
26.Penpal
27.Steran 50

And so there is (USER NAME ONLY) anybody wanting to add anything or just Regisiter as you have 27 MAD Hercus Lovers who have plenty of experience if you need Help

all the best Derek bitza500

bitza500
27th Dec 2008, 10:17 PM
28.aljunk (Canada)
29. Speedy
30.Anorak Bob
31.Anarok Bob
32.Rod
33.Rod Model 0 Mill

I apologise if I have left you off but as you see the Register is the order they came in I hope to get some more Hercus Mill Owners or any HERCUS owners as this is why we now have our own Forum makes life a bit easier as you can all talk HERCUS So please keep on sending in your details and I will just put your user name on the Forum so no conflict arises and as you can see I am not the only mad 1 with more than 1 Hercus

all the best Derek and weres your photo's??????

bitza500
28th Dec 2008, 11:24 PM
34.Surfin Nev. Hercus Horizontal and Vertical Mill

Welcome to the Forum Nev you and Rod are 84 machines apart he is 362 and you 288
I hope we get more hercus people coming into the Forum as OLD Fred made a lot of stuff so see if you can dig up a few more lathe or Mill owners does not Matter if the lathe is not a 9" as any Hercus or in Fact South Bend Owners please email me as OLD Fred only cloned the South bend as well as 20+ other Countries

all the best Derek

aljunk
29th Dec 2008, 02:30 AM
Prolly you guys have all seen this but anyways....

al

aljunk
29th Dec 2008, 02:38 AM
Derek, I'm picking up my 2nd lathe tomorrow! Paid too much for it but it was close to home (15 mins). It's an AR on the factory stand SN around 9500 if I can recall from looking at it yesterday. It's missing a few pieces but is working. Someone did a gross job of "restoring" it but I planned to strip it right down anyways. After seeing it I sure appreciate the one I already have!!! It's a cherry by comparison.
So I will be on the hunt for pieces...
al

Anorak Bob
29th Dec 2008, 12:49 PM
Hello Derek,

I don't want to take up too much space on your list. I'm sure one entry will do the job.

I will remove the vertical head from my mill and furnish you with the serial number. I will be interested to see where it sits in relation to the serial numbers of both Nev and Rod's No.0's.

Regards Bob.

billrule
29th Dec 2008, 08:21 PM
Re the serial number list; in the post by Drummond on May 5th 2008, there was no indication that the numbers were specifically for the 9" model. Is the above post from aljunk a prettied-up version of the original post, or was the original post derived from the document shown in this latest post from aljunk? It just strikes me as common sense that Hercus wouldn't issue two identical serial numbers for two different models when it would be simpler to only have a single series of numbers to cover all models. The reason I'm interested is that I was really happy to tie down the origin and age (I thought) of my 8" Hercus, number B314.:(

Anorak Bob
29th Dec 2008, 09:03 PM
Hello Derek and Anyone else who may be interested.

I removed the vertical head to reveal a serial number of OL-8 as per the attached image.

I've included some photos of the mill at work.

A couple of months ago, Jim Durden had the main body casting for a Hercus Tool and Cutter Grinder vise on the Hercus Ebay website. Buy it now for $35. I hit the button. I don't have the 3" vise that was supplied for the mill. I have an assortment of vises that I use including an extremely useful Douglas shaper vise which opens to about 4 and a half inches. I have the shaper as well. Based on a catalogue photo for dimensions, I embarked on another Christmas holiday project.

The vise body attaches to the base in the same way that the lathe compound slide fits the cross slide, by means of a tapered or dovetailed spiggot. I purchased a 32mm thick x 200 mm diameter slice of 4E cast iron and bolted it to a faceplate. It is messy stuff to turn and I use sheets of immersion rubber to try to keep the dust off the lathe ways. I also use a vacuum cleaner to remove the swarf. After turning the disc to size, I cut the four sides off on the mill. I then used my Hercus rotary table (another project) and the vertical head to lower the top face of the base away from the fixing locations. I've left the base rectangular as per the original T + C vise base . The original base sits on a vee way, the mill base is flat.

The sliding jaw started off as another block of 4E and I used the shaper to machine it to size. For the final accurate fitting of the jaw to the base, I used the mill.

That's it so far.

Regards
Bob.

bitza500
30th Dec 2008, 03:38 AM
Re the serial number list; in the post by Drummond on May 5th 2008, there was no indication that the numbers were specifically for the 9" model. Is the above post from aljunk a prettied-up version of the original post, or was the original post derived from the document shown in this latest post from aljunk? It just strikes me as common sense that Hercus wouldn't issue two identical serial numbers for two different models when it would be simpler to only have a single series of numbers to cover all models. The reason I'm interested is that I was really happy to tie down the origin and age (I thought) of my 8" Hercus, number B314.:(

Hi BR, a 8" Hercus can you take pics as I would love to see another Size hercus as when I first saw the Serial number list I was taken back as mine was bought new by the previous owner in 1948 but the Serial Number dates is 1954 ??

This is why I asked for this Forum so Owners of all Hercus machines can SHOW AND TELL about their old girl as I for 1 amd intruiged by a 8"
all the best Derek
Can I add you to our Register???

aljunk
30th Dec 2008, 06:25 AM
I just cut and pasted that as I found it.
Here is the link...

"http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157393&highlight=hercus+dial"

bitza500
30th Dec 2008, 09:11 AM
Hi Bob,where did you find the numbers ? and is a Hercus book or catalouge or what as I am very Interested in getting hold of anything Hercus Parts or paper so please let me know as if it is possible could you email me a copy of the book/catalouge Manual????

all the best derek

Anorak Bob
30th Dec 2008, 11:04 AM
Hello Derek,

The serial number is stamped on the front vertical machined face of the mill body, between the spindle bearing cap and the overarm dovetail.

The catalogue was kindly given to me by another Hercus owner in the form of scanned images. I have emailed the owner seeking his permission to post these images.

Regards Bob.

aljunk
1st Jan 2009, 01:14 AM
I picked up my 2nd machine last nite. This machine has been rode hard and put away wet a lot I think, but still looks salvageable. The guy said he went "right thru it" and fixed it up! lol!!!!! check out the paint job ha ha!

I'm a bit curious about the Serial #'s they are off by 4...

bitza500
1st Jan 2009, 08:50 AM
Hi Bob, looks like a beauty to me
As for the Serial Numbers if it was ex School or workshop they may have wrecked 1 lathe and put a good gearbox on yours and yours may be a HONDA by now but it looks in good condition
I would kill for those larger dials as mine are so small I have trouble readin and was thinking about making some as I cannot get them anywhere

all the best Derek

Anorak Bob
1st Jan 2009, 09:24 AM
Happy New Year Al,

Looks like your new acquisition has had a head transplant. I haven't seen too many P pattern drive lathes. Interestingly, the micrometer feed dials look like South Bend items. South Bend offered as accessories the larger dial and a direct reading dial. The cross slide is an early version . I can't make out the clutch knob in the photo, maybe the whole apron / saddle assembley is American.

Having 2 lathes is real handy.

Did the 9" catalogue scans come out o.k.?

Bob.

aljunk
1st Jan 2009, 09:26 AM
Hi Derek, I guess you were talking to me in that last post.
I'm on the hunt for pieces now, a motor belt cover/guard and a 56 t gear for starters.

al

Anorak Bob
1st Jan 2009, 09:36 AM
Happy New Year Derek,

I will go out to the shed and see if the larger dials on my AR fit onto the earlier A. There is a good chance that the AR dials are the same as the 260 dials and it could just be that they are still available from FW Hercus.

Making a pair shouldn't be too hard but you would require a dividing head to accurately engrave (or gouge) the divisions.

Bob.

aljunk
1st Jan 2009, 09:47 AM
http://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon1.gif
Happy New Year to you too Bob

My other Hercus has same drive pattern but the smaller dials, also as you noted the the cross slide is different to with the locking nuts at the back. It has the same clutch knob but the 12-24 LH thread retainer bolt is missing so I guess I will be making another of them. The apron itself also looks the same so I think it is original. I will find out more about it's condition as I strip it down for restoration.
I noticed the seller used the halfnuts for feed and not the clutch, I think that's how come a gear tooth is missing on the 56t gear. I think this is/was quite a common practice, I hope the halfnuts aren't too worn.

This is actually my 3rd lathe, I picked up a Goodway 16-40 (Taiwan)last year that needed a bunch of repairs and parts. Parts were no longer available to I got it cheeeeap and just made the parts myself. The stripped bevel gear behind the apron (for feed) was the piece the prev owner couldn't make himself and wasn't willing to spend the money to have it made. It is actually in quite good shape now, runs smooth and quiet and cuts very accurate and consistent. Also allows me to turn larger pieces and to cut metric thread too.
Yes it is handy having more than one lathe, but I didn't really buy the 2nd one as a workhorse, just something to rebuild/restore.

The files are great to have!!! Kinds slow n painful watchin them doooooooowwwwwwnnnnnload tho. lol

Anorak Bob
1st Jan 2009, 11:59 AM
Hello Derek,

The dials are interchangable. The through hole in the dial is .375". I don't know if this differs on the metric models. The 260 part numbers are 5H735 for the bushing that screws into the cross slide and 5H736 for the cross side graduated collar (inch). The top slide bushing is part no. 5H767 and the collar, part no 5H768.

Jim Durden sells the 260 spare parts manual for about $20 on the Hercus Ebay site, Great value and extremely useful.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Regards Bob.

billrule
1st Jan 2009, 08:55 PM
Can I add you to our Register???
Sorry Bitza, I'm not ignoring you. Yes, I'd like to be added if you are happy with the provenence of the lathe. Unlike the others, there is no name cast into the bed or elsewhere.

However, the following makes me think it is the real thing'
1. It was sold to me as a Hercus, though I haven't tried to track down the original owner, and bought it from someone who never got around to putting together themselves
2. When I saw photos of the very old bar-bed models, I immediately could see the family resemblance in the tailstock casting, and...
3. The topslide castings were identical also, and....
4 The countershaft unit is identical as far as I can see. This casting is also recognisable in the scans just released in fig 15 (page9) in image S.B. 16.6.2008 087, titled "Standard countershaft for lineshaft drive" and they are quite distinctive. Also, searching for that image again, i was struck by how identical the fixed steady is. (I didn't get a travelling steady)

I'll get some pics soon, (so many cameras, so little actual opportunity to get a go at one)

I'm pretty comfortable that it's a Hercus, but I'd love to actually see a pic of one somewhere to reassure me.

Cheers,

Bill

bitza500
1st Jan 2009, 10:22 PM
Derek, I'm picking up my 2nd lathe tomorrow! Paid too much for it but it was close to home (15 mins). It's an AR on the factory stand SN around 9500 if I can recall from looking at it yesterday. It's missing a few pieces but is working. Someone did a gross job of "restoring" it but I planned to strip it right down anyways. After seeing it I sure appreciate the one I already have!!! It's a cherry by comparison.
So I will be on the hunt for pieces...
al

Hi Bob, what did the owner clean it up with water and a scrubbing brush ? And what a Paint job maybe it may come off quicker being such a lousy paint

all the best derek

brittleheart
1st Jan 2009, 10:26 PM
Derek, you can add another lathe to you register. It is an old one that I am assembling back together.
I am comparing the construction details to the other 1958 model. So far these are the points:
1. Hercus C model. S/N BS30 (stamped on the bed between the V's at T/Stock end). The gear cover plate says model VB.
2. There is no name cast into the front bed, the feet have a hole cast at centre.
3. By inspection of the wear next to the flat pulleys, it started life as a "SB" separate mounted drive. It has since been fitted with "H" pattern drive and complete guarding.
4. Both slide handles are positioned with a keyed pin, instead of a woodruff key.
5. The L/screw nut on the compound slide is brass.
There are other differences, but the main thing is that parts are interchangeable.
Any ideas on the date of manufacture?
Regards, Peter

bitza500
1st Jan 2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Peter, Hercus used Woodruff keys on their spindles South Bend used the setup you have got so a pic would be nice
as for the BS serial Number I would say ???????????????????????
But if your lathe bed has not got Hercus on it well it may be a South Bend as South bend Riveted their Name onto the lathe bed
but please try and get some pics up so we can see the old girl who should be a FLAT BELT ?????
As for age it could be a original SouthBend dating back to 1936 as Fred Hercus started in 1939 cloning or maybe just changing a few parts to make it look different??????? Who Knows but a Picture tells a thosand words (SOMETIMES)
all the best Derek

brittleheart
1st Jan 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Derek,
On the bed, there is a relic of a transfer (sticker) with a gold outline.
I am pretty sure it is an early Hercus, the Southbend stamped numbers are not that short.
Did I mention that the slides and bed surfaces show very little wear? In fact despite the obvious nicks, it is in top condition.
Will follow up with photo's tomorrow.
Regards, Peter

bitza500
1st Jan 2009, 11:01 PM
Here is 2 different Clones 1 the green one is my old 1941 Tassie Devil the other is a late 1930's Sanches (Whatever) the original wer a 2piece system were the motor and top pulley assembly bolted seperatly to the Lathe To keep the tension on the belt they used like a chain tensioner to push forward to keep the Lathe running and to change the speed you pulled the handle back and released the tension

Oh I wish I could see Pics of some of these old girls as I am kicking myself for selling the Tassie Devil to my mate who has left it at my place due to the fact he has no room
So pleas pictures and we will work it out
Also if it is a South Bend all the parts have the same number stamped onit so from the top crosslide to Apron to Tailstock to Headstock all have matching stamped numbers and letteres
all the best Derek

bitza500
1st Jan 2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Derek, I guess you were talking to me in that last post.
I'm on the hunt for pieces now, a motor belt cover/guard and a 56 t gear for starters.

al

Hi Al, this lathe has both these parts but the cost to send to Canada would be a shocker as I was bringing in 20LB USPS Parcels at $40.00 a box to send the box back try nearly $200 and it also goes on size and weight so it could be dearer again as the safety guard woud have to be put in a decent size box and hope it arrives in 1 piece
Your best bet would be to put a ad in the paper or try the schools as they may have some old stock lying around

billrule
2nd Jan 2009, 01:19 AM
Brittleheart, my 8" old Hercus had a transfer below the headstock that showed gold, and a sliver of red too. It's only the remnants of the margin left, so I don't get any other info from it. It didn't have any cast names either. I'll get some pics shortly. Bill

aljunk
2nd Jan 2009, 03:40 AM
Derek are you anywhere near Townsville? Northern aus I think? My sister is visiting friends there for the next couple weeks.......

al

brittleheart
2nd Jan 2009, 12:20 PM
As promised, photos of hercus 9" model VB, No BS30.
Note the different colour of the H pattern drive and guarding.
Wear on the headstock guards indicate belt drive previously from rear.
Felt wiper holders are brass.
The countershaft drive bearings are my design from only the last century (not the previous century as hercus has used).
Regards, Peter

billrule
2nd Jan 2009, 01:08 PM
Croydon could hardly be further from Townsville if it tried I'm afraid.:)
Bill

aljunk
3rd Jan 2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the reply Bill, it's just my luck that I have a ride home for some aussie parts but they're still too far away! sheesh!
al

bitza500
3rd Jan 2009, 07:50 AM
Derek are you anywhere near Townsville? Northern aus I think? My sister is visiting friends there for the next couple weeks.......

alHi Al,I live in Croydon Victoria so only about a few thousand Miles away How long is your sister staying in Townsville for as I ahve not bought the lathe as I have 2 people only wanting parts

And being disabled money is hard to come by as My Disability is the wires and a gizmo they fitted inside me to relieve pain and the wires run up my spine

So if you hurt yourself it is all in your brain as that is were the wire go to disguise the pain

Dave at Newmac had a brand new Pulley guard and if you sister is staying for a few days I can find out how much for the new cover and postage plus a 56Tooth gear

all the best Derek
[email protected]

bitza500
3rd Jan 2009, 08:06 AM
The countershaft drive bearings are my design from only the last century (not the previous century as hercus has used).
Regards, Peter
On looking at the setup it is exactly how South Bend had their lathes as they did both Horizontal and vertical mount but is a fine old girl and looking at it closer it looks quite similiar to the Green Tassie Devil 1941 build

all the best Derek

aljunk
4th Jan 2009, 03:13 AM
Derek, too bad it's so far away. They are going to be there till 21st but will be traveling around so it's hard to contact them to organize things. So prolly this won't work out.

al

I just got an email from them in Townsville and replied with a request if she will be able to bring back a few parts so we'll see. I'm hoping I can get the gear at least as the Southbend gears are apparently a bit different tooth profile 14 1/2 deg PA vs 20 deg.

heres a couple pics of the gears,

aljunk
4th Jan 2009, 01:05 PM
Looks like we could make this happen Derek. See my private message for details.

al

bitza500
12th Jan 2009, 10:32 PM
34.Surfin Nev. Hercus Horizontal and Vertical Mill

Welcome to the Forum Nev you and Rod are 84 machines apart he is 362 and you 288
I hope we get more hercus people coming into the Forum as OLD Fred made a lot of stuff so see if you can dig up a few more lathe or Mill owners does not Matter if the lathe is not a 9" as any Hercus or in Fact South Bend Owners please email me as OLD Fred only cloned the South bend as well as 20+ other Countries

all the best Derek]
More members to add

bitza500
12th Jan 2009, 10:52 PM
As replies are slow regarding the Register I will put everyone's UserName ONLY and that way if you want me to do the Regisiter properly please let me know as I do not want to Offend and UserNames are on the Forum anyway
1.bitza500
2. Neksmerji
3Pipeclay
4.Footz
5.Katz
6.Yeti
7.Mob
8.Pete F
9.Beetle
10.Brett C
11.Buncha
12Damian
13.Wannabe
14.Fraserbluff
15Fraserbluff
16.Brittleheart
17.Jomac6
18.Making Stuff
19.Ralphie
20Gregoryq ( now been stripped)
21.Knotaclue
22.Drummond
23.12Teethperinch
24John Budden 60
25.Blankfrancis
26.Penpal
27.Steran 50

And so there is (USER NAME ONLY) anybody wanting to add anything or just Regisiter as you have 27 MAD Hercus Lovers who have plenty of experience if you need Help

And now please welcome some new Hercus Owners

28.Aljunk
29.Speedy
30.Anarok Bob
31.Anarak Bob (MILL)
32. Rod
33. Rod (MILL)
34. Surfin Nev
35.Brittleheart
36. Aljunk
37.Qwerty

Well we are getting there as 37 Members was beter than half a dozen when I started up the Register courtesy of the big fella upstairs who gave me a chance to bring all the Hercus Owners together
So pleas if you know of any other Hercus Owners please let them now about our Hercus Forum

all the best Derek

bitza500
19th Jan 2009, 12:09 AM
And now please welcome some new Hercus Owners

28.Aljunk
29.Speedy
30.Anarok Bob
31.Anarak Bob (MILL)
32. Rod
33. Rod (MILL)
34. Surfin Nev
35.Brittleheart
36. Aljunk
37.Qwerty
38.allterrain50
Well we are getting there as 38 Members was beter than half a dozen when I started up the Register courtesy of the big fella upstairs who gave me a chance to bring all the Hercus Owners together
So pleas if you know of any other Hercus Owners please let them now about our Hercus Forum

all the best Derek
Welcome member Number 38 Have you any Pics you can show us your lathe Mal???
all the best Derek

bitza500
20th Jan 2009, 09:17 AM
Regards, Peter

Hi Peter, did you make the Countershaft bearings from scratch or just machined the old ones to make it look nice as mine when made in 1954? the locating holes for the bolts,one of them has been cast wrong or machined wrong as the adjusting bolt sits askew ? and I cannot get the shaft to run freely as it had a bent shaft holes drilled in the shaft in many places to lock the pulleys ?? and yet it has the machined flats but the old owner thought drilling might be better ??? I would be curious to know as I am thinking of doing the same as I can see this being a problem as I used Holden Spigot bushes and machined and line bored but still to no great satisfaction

If you did make from new can you tell me how you did it and a rough sketch as as your idea looks great I was not sure of making from new as I was a bit stumped on how to make the locating recesses exactly 180 degrees from each other

Hope you can advise ???

all the best Derek

bitza500
20th Jan 2009, 09:29 AM
Happy New Year Derek,

I will go out to the shed and see if the larger dials on my AR fit onto the earlier A. There is a good chance that the AR dials are the same as the 260 dials and it could just be that they are still available from FW Hercus.

Making a pair shouldn't be too hard but you would require a dividing head to accurately engrave (or gouge) the divisions.

Bob.

Hi Bob, well I went to my usual Haunt Newmac (NO I have no affiliation at all) but they have plent of my money

Anyway at New Mac they had BRAND NEW large dials so I very quicky snapped them up as YOU said they are the same as the 260

As I am a regular now at Newmac Richard the Owner lets me go scrounging through his pile of bits and he has boxes of taps,drills reamers,Milling cutters cutting tools of all brands just sitting in boxes

I found the drive rail for the apron to run on so another part to bolt to my spare parts lathe I am slowly building I also got a Model C Screw and both ends as well

So Now I am chasing a headstock as Newmac wanted $250 which is quite cheap for a tapered bearing headstock but I am chasing the older style

And how goes the dismantling of the house paint Hercus as would love to see and hear how it is going

all the best and thank you Derek bitza500

brittleheart
20th Jan 2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Derek,
I made the bearings from scratch.
This what I did:
1. Replaced the shaft with a length of 3/4" linear bearing grade material.
2. Ground out the areas on the shaft to make flats for grub screw fixing.
3. Turned up two bearing housings from a scrap SS round. Bored a 20mm hole through, and machined out a recess to fit a needle bearing each end. Finally milled a flat on each side.
4. Drilled and C/S to each housing at centre to sit lower bolt.
5. Instead of drilling at the top, if a short "V" is machined, the bearing is able to self centre.
6. Drilled a small hole in each housing for oiling.
7. Machined a thick washer of bronze to seal bearings to one side of each housing.
8. Machined a thicker washer of bronze, and tapped two M6 grub screws to position each housing and seal other side of housing.

I didn't draw this up, but sketched it out on a scrap of paper as I made it, which is now lost.
However I can take measurements and post if anyone is interested.
Regards,
Peter.
PS It really makes a difference and I believe worth the trouble.

bitza500
20th Jan 2009, 11:51 PM
Hi Derek,
I made the bearings from scratch.
This what I did:
1. Replaced the shaft with a length of 3/4" linear bearing grade material.
2. Ground out the areas on the shaft to make flats for grub screw fixing.
3. Turned up two bearing housings from a scrap SS round. Bored a 20mm hole through, and machined out a recess to fit a needle bearing each end. Finally milled a flat on each side.
4. Drilled and C/S to each housing at centre to sit lower bolt.
5. Instead of drilling at the top, if a short "V" is machined, the bearing is able to self centre.
6. Drilled a small hole in each housing for oiling.
7. Machined a thick washer of bronze to seal bearings to one side of each housing.
8. Machined a thicker washer of bronze, and tapped two M6 grub screws to position each housing and seal other side of housing.

I didn't draw this up, but sketched it out on a scrap of paper as I made it, which is now lost.
However I can take measurements and post if anyone is interested.
Regards,
Peter.
PS It really makes a difference and I believe worth the trouble.

Hi Pete, if you cpould do a rough sketch and dimensions would be great as I will definatley be doing that
Also can you remember what the Part Number is for the Needle roller bearings ??
As I think making new housings is the only way I will ever get the shaft to move freely

all the best Derek
P/S what happened to your old Housings ?????as I am chasing a set for another lathe in Progress

brittleheart
21st Jan 2009, 12:42 AM
Sure can Derek.
I will take measurements of the made ones.
The shafting was from BSC made by Linear Bearings. I tried to get 5/8" for replacing the worn shafts in apron, but there isn't any in the country at the moment. For some reason I tend to give my suppliers a real pain to find what I want. I know one guy that hides under the desk when I walk in door! I reckon they they need the occasional challenge to break up their daily boordom.
You can have the old housings.
Have Newmac still got the large dials? Were they expensive?
Regards,
Peter

brittleheart
21st Jan 2009, 10:40 PM
The details as promised.
Note:
The replacement shaft runs directly on the needle bearings, this requires material with hardness of 62Rc min. Using shafting designed for linear bearings is available.
The bearings (B-128) are drawn a cup type. The bearing recess should be machined to a close tolerance, allowing just enough clearance to lightly tap bearing in. A suitable drift is required to be machined to neatly fit.
The upper yoke bolts position the housings, while the lower bolts hold the housings laterally within the "V" groove. This allows for correct alignment of bearings.
The purpose of the brass washers is to seal the bearings from dirt. The inner washers are closed and fixed against the housings when the shaft has been adjusted into position.
The "V" grooves can either be milled or just carefully ground on bench grinder.
Happy to answer any other questions
Regards,
Peter

bitza500
25th Jan 2009, 12:45 AM
Welcome member Number 38 Have you any Pics you can show us your lathe Mal???
all the best Derek

Please welcome 3 new members
39.allterrain50
40.Old Fraggle
41.Nickeng

bitza500
31st Jan 2009, 10:43 AM
Please welcome 3 new members
38..allterrain50
39.Rodddd
40.Old Fraggle
41.Nickeng Please welcome our 3 latest recruits and sorry I stuffed the
42Alex N number order up as I have lost a page but now 43
43Glenn K 43 New Members so Welcome to the Hercus Forum
all the best derek
I am trying to have all 1 page for the register but am
waiting for info on how to do it

bitza500
16th Feb 2009, 09:42 PM
Hi all, please welcome our latest members of the Hercus register

41. NickEng
42. Alex N
43. Glenn K
44.colo5_au
45. Godzilla98

So the big 50 is getting closer surely you lot must now others who have Hercus lathes,mills any size anny shape and like everyone else I want a Hercus Mill too

So welcome to the brains trust of the Hercus World if this lot cannot help it cannot be done easily but nothing is impossible if you have a Lathe

all the best Derek

bitza500
15th Mar 2009, 02:46 AM
Hi all, please welcome another batch of new Fanatical Hercus owners
46 dude09
47tanii51
48mark2
49 Billrule
One of these days I am going to rewrite all the owners on one thread probably when we hit the 100 owners Mark as I am clad that I was allowed to start The hercus Forum as when I got mine in Oct 07 I looked up Hercus and found nothing
So from Nothing to having our own Forum and 49 registered Owners and a few stragglers yet to register

But as I have been supplying parts to the members I have now run out of lathe parts so if anyone knows of a hercus in bitz or not going or just had it's day could you please let me Know in either Victoria or NSW as I have totally stripped 2 lathes and have 2 wrecked lathe beds and 2 back vertical pulley mounting bracket

So I need a hercus to wreck can anyone point me to one as I have people waiting for parts but the Majority selling on eBay lately were to good to wreck I am after some old Ex School lathes that have done their time and are ready for the chop

So please look out for other Hercus Owners and see if you can get them to join and any Hercus good bad and worn out that will help the 75% who are restoring their lathes to Original Condition
So any body got any contacts in Secondary School/Colleges who may know when the next batch of Hercus lathes are going to be replaced

after all that welcome to the Hercus Forum and if you are stuck just as as we have a massive amount of grey Matter that can solve nearly all hercus problems

all the best Derek
bitza500

bitza500
10th Apr 2009, 11:11 AM
Hi alll well being a bit slack with adding names due to the fact I have crashed more computers in the last month I am sick of hopefully turning it on
But please welcome the new batch of proud Hercus owners

50. 1jvs model CR Serial number 14271 build 1972
51Greg hansen Model AR Serial Number 8312V from Canada
52. mgtoolmaker Hercus Mill ) Serial Number OLM478
53 Walter d Model A
54 phelum Model C
55Allterrain (AGAIN ) Model C Flatbelt Serial 1289 Build 1945
56. Allterain (AGAIN Model ARM Serial Number 14696 Build 1973
57Ross A Model A Serial number 7488 build 1961
58 aikendrum105 Model C serial VB423
59 Jimmer Model A Serial Number 5500 Build 1964

Welcome hercus Fanatics as you have found us and with your knowledge and the knowledge now of 59 hercus Owners owners I think we can help out anybody with a problem

I still have no History on the Hercus yet as this is the main reason I started the register up as hercus themselves or Steve Durden stated that all information on the 9" was destroyed and so Hercus cannot help
I am looking for anything that may shed some light on some of the other Machines Hercus Made as I have seen a Beautiful Hercus 14" Lathe
(DROOOOL) and was amazed at it's condition and how well it was built
I have seen photos of lathes but with nothing about them
Has anybody ever see a 9" Capstan Lathe ???
Has anybody everseen a 9" with computer setup for cutting ??

these things exist as I have talked or emailed the owners regarding buying parts off me plus all the extras that Hercus supplied as well as drills ,mills, grinders, and so on
Someone must have something as I would like to try and write a book about the Hercus but at present Model Numbers and Serial Numbers are all that I have
So can anybody help ????????????????????????????

So welcome you hercus Fanatics to join the rest of a very knowledgable group of amazing talented and very helpful people who will always try and help you out with a problem

Now all I want is more Hercus Owners and I am now DESPERATE for spare parts or a Hercus that has had it's day

[email protected]

.RC.
10th Apr 2009, 11:26 AM
Has anybody everseen a 9" with computer setup for cutting ??

Do you mean the computurn??

From memory they also made a compumill..

bitza500
10th Apr 2009, 01:34 PM
Do you mean the computurn??

From memory they also made a compumill..

Hi R.C., all I know is it is a hercus 9" which has a electronic setup for measuring the depth of cut accurately
It is to way over my head to know what it's real name is
all the best derek

12teethperinch
10th Apr 2009, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone.
These are at a school in Saskatchewan Canada.
Darrell

bitza500
1st May 2009, 12:53 AM
Hi all, as I have stuffed up a number somewhere please welcome 3 new members

61. Mr Santa

62. Ray39 Hercus Hraftsman

63 ray 39 Hercus Craftsman

As I have been stripping and suppling S/H parts I have noticed most of the people who are buying the parts are not on the register
As it is not Compulsory but I would like to track down as many as I can so if anyone has yet to register please email me at
[email protected]

As I am waiting patiently for the ever close 100 I will when we reach 100 machines I will rewrite the User names so it is all on 1 page as it is a bit raggidy and with 47 to go surely you must have someone you can get to join as the more we have the more Knowledge and free help from all the members

all the best Derek bitza500 with a dead battery

YarrD
1st May 2009, 10:11 PM
Is mine on the register? Hercus ARM F serial no 15015...don't know what the F means

wildwesty
19th May 2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Derek,

I have a Hercus ARM 9" lathe circa 1973 S/N 14417 Also has BS stampeed on bed. It was ex Tafe and seems to be reasonable cond. Comes completely guarded and on factory stand. You can add this to your register if you like. I have a 240V .75 KW base mount motor driving it as it was 3 ph on purchase. Fitted straight onto the machine. Overall doing a good job with it.

bitza500
23rd May 2009, 04:59 AM
Is mine on the register? Hercus ARM F serial no 15015...don't know what the F means

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

Hi David you are Number 39 on the Register

bitza500
23rd May 2009, 05:16 AM
Hi all, well 4 More hercus Owners have come and joined our little Register so please welcome

64 Boilmaker

65 Mark Horridge

66 Engineer Steve

67 Wildwesty

I cannot wait till we make the ton then I am going to start from 1 and go non stop to 100 so our Register looks like a register not just added names here and there

So Find me some more owners and find me some dead Lathes as I have a list of parts needed but no worn lathes to strip

Also have anybody ever heard or seen the Book Hercus 1920-1970 the first 50 years as I know it exists and now have to try and track a copy down as I have Permission off Steve Durden to have it copied but is not making it easy to find so anybody got any clues ???????

all the best Derek

BEE55T
27th May 2009, 07:37 AM
Hi All,
Am new to the forum and I'm finding some good info. I thought I'd put my name on the register.
BEE55T
A bit of history on my lathe. My dad bought it at Dept of Works auction in 1981. Ex school lathe. He's since bought / made lots of bits to go with it. He's recently handed it on to me after amolst 30 years of good service. My Dad is an ex high school Industrial Arts Head teacher, so he knows how the lathes get treated.
So my Hercus 9" is a bit of a mixture of machines.
The bed is stamped C 6769
The tailstock is stamped 7068
And the feed plaque is stamped C 6750

I do however have the original sales docket and inspection certificate for 7068, circa 1961. So the tailstock is original:U

I'm hoping to get another 30+ years out of the old girl, I already have a few jobs in mind.

Keep up the good work.

bitza500
30th May 2009, 05:37 AM
Hi Bee, welcome to the Forum by the sounds of it either someone has made a good lathe out of 3 before it got sold or just laziness not putting the parts back on the right machine

I cannot remember when doing my trade ever having to remove the Tailstock or the gear covers and I spent 4 years at that School before returning the following year as a Apprentice 1975 only to find some Person had changed all the machines to Metric which had us all bluffed and many a job thrown away as if you work 4 days a week on a Imperial Lathe and 2 1/2 hours on a Metric lathe was a nightmare but I got through eventually now I play with Imperial machines and will hope to never have to use a Metric machine again But I am BIAS as I am a POHM (prisoner of her Majesty) and stick to what i like

BEE55T
30th May 2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Derek,

I don't think it was laziness.... They were closing the Dept of Works workshop and auctioned everything off. It was were all the school lathes went to to get fixed, so I'd say they put together the best bits to make a decent machine.

I know how you feel with metric/imperial. Thankfully I'm well versed in both as I work in the steelworks in a plant that was built in '64, so everything is a great combination of imperial, metric and the occasional UNC just to stuff you up.
Not much that can't be fixed with a 1" impact and a welder:D

Dave