PDA

View Full Version : Is this old trooper on of "ours"?

billrule
18th Dec 2008, 12:30 AM
Is this some model of Hercus; I can't believe that apron could be anything but a Hercus, could it?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AW-50-Lathe_W0QQitemZ320325094238QQihZ011QQcategoryZ92083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bitza500
18th Dec 2008, 04:12 AM
On looking at the Picture I notice no Hercus cast in the bed
I have never seen a Hercus without the name cast so I stopped looking at South Bend Clones after I hit 20 different names and Countries Possibly it may be a SouthBend as when Woomera was still going the Yanks brought everything bar the Kitchen sink over as it cost them nothing to freight from the States
It is half way between my place and ken's so we shall see who is more curious to get a better look
all the best Derek bitza500

neksmerj
18th Dec 2008, 05:29 PM
Apparently there were many lathes cloned on the old South Bend, including Hercus,
circa 1939, and Sheraton.

I've sent an inquiry off to The Practical Machinist, South Bend Forum, USA to see if any further light can be shone on this item.

I have lightened the original image, and tried to sharpen the edges.

Will just have to wait and see.

Ken

neksmerj
18th Dec 2008, 08:00 PM
Yep, it's a Hercus.

After contacting the owner, he kindly sent me additional photos, mystery solved.

Attached are a few more snaps. The close up of the name plate reads 9" Hercus Workshop Precision Lathe Model V8. The term V8 is new to me, any clues?

I have no affiliation with the owner.

Ken

wannabe
18th Dec 2008, 10:07 PM
Are those change gears mounted the correct way around? Looks 'A' about to me.

blackfrancis
19th Dec 2008, 07:40 AM
Doesn't look like a text book setup, hey Peter. Check out the stack of change gears on the ground you can see in the first photo. Looks like there's a full set of gears and a full set for metric threading as well.

I should point out that the biggest difference between the Hercus and the Southbend is the gears. All Hercus gears have a pressure angle of 20degs. Southbends, except for the very late model ones, have 14.5deg. I found this out at a talk given by one of F. Hercus' sons in the 80s. Apparently Fred had lot's of experience with manafacturing gears before building the 9" and was the firm opinion that 20degs was better. He also said that Fred turned up at the Southbend factory to have a look at some point and was promptly shown the door.

Cheers
Steve

bitza500
20th Dec 2008, 01:19 AM
hi Ken, on looking at the lathe the cover plates look like a early SouthBend style did you by chance get the number or the new Owner so we can nut this out ??
As the Tassie Devil VB316 (1941) looks similiar except for the cover plates and the Hercus Change gear plates
Maybe it could have been one of Fred's original Prototypes of the SouthBend as I still cannot see Hercus on the lathe Bed ???

all the best Derek bitza500