PDA

View Full Version : Springs and felt for mainshaft

bitza500
3rd Dec 2008, 03:17 PM
Hi Guys, can anybody help with my latest problem
mounted in the headstock where the Mainshaft goes is a Spring and a piece of felt rolled up and inserted inside the spring so the felt holds oil and keeps the mainshaft lubricated at the bottom
I have 4 springs all different sizes and look a bit worse for wear
Has anybody got a correct size for the spring and has anybody bought any new springs to replace the old ones as all 4 springs are different diameter,length and different amount of coils
So anybody got any ideas as I know quite a few of you have yours apart all I need is someone who has the springs that are matching tolet me know as no book tells you the dimensions of the spring and I want to put 2 the same back in the hole with the felt

So Can anybody help????

all the best Derek bitza500

neksmerj
11th Dec 2008, 12:11 AM
Derek,

Are these the springs, cups and springs you were referring to?

Introduction - My 1st (metal) Lathe - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web - "http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=169584"

The picture is about half way down the page.

Ken

neksmerj
11th Dec 2008, 06:46 PM
I have noticed that when responding to a Thread, and insert a link, the link becomes highlighted in blue, indicating that it would fire up.

However, after submitting my post, and I go back to it, the link is no longer highlighted, and doesn't fire up. The post above is a prime example, it's no longer an executable link, but was when I inserted it. It tested ok in the preview.

Why is this so?

Ken

DJ’s Timber
11th Dec 2008, 08:39 PM
That would be because I have de-activated it, generally links between forums are a no no as it can cause problems.