PDA

View Full Version : 4-way tool post, part missing?

neksmerj
2nd Dec 2008, 04:11 PM
I recently picked up a Hercus 4-way tool post, and now believe there maybe a part missing, a large washer.

I haven't got my lathe running as yet, so can't tell for sure, however, looking at the underside of the tool post, there is a shiny area that indicates it sat on a large washer.

If I'm correct, will a kind member tell me how thick this washer is, and the inside diameter.
From the wear marks, it appears to be 60mm outside diameter.

Ken

footz
2nd Dec 2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Ken

This is all the parts for mine, I cant see any washer though just a threaded rod with a shoulder on it, screwed into the t slot. This goes into the 4 way tool post which has a recess for the shoulder on the bolt. The handle just screws onto the threaded rod. I have another 4 way tool post which I think is the same except there was a big spacer under it.
Good luck

Penpal
2nd Dec 2008, 11:01 PM
The tool post I have has no washer and indeed I can see lots of good reasons why it will not lock down or swivel better with one. Major contact has never let me down using mine ie the Hercus one.
Peter:2tsup:

neksmerj
2nd Dec 2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks fellas,

NO washer eh?, that's good news. Something less I have to make.

Ken

bitza500
3rd Dec 2008, 03:24 PM
Hi Ken, On the Tassie Devil it has a washer like you say about 60mmin Diameter
How this is set up from the crosslide is T-Nut shaft (THE WASHER) the lock nut so the centre shaft does not move the tool post holder and the handle that screws and locks the toolpostholder down
I will take some photos and send it to your email as I have yet to sort out the putting it on the site but you can if you want
all the best derek bitza500

jmk89
3rd Dec 2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Ken, On the Tassie Devil it has a washer like you say about 60mmin Diameter
How this is set up from the crosslide is T-Nut shaft (THE WASHER) the lock nut so the centre shaft does not move the tool post holder and the handle that screws and locks the toolpostholder down
I will take some photos and send it to your email as I have yet to sort out the putting it on the site but you can if you want

Derek

Go to the bottom of this sticky (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78677) on posting to the Buy Sell 'n Swap Forum - it gives you the good oil on posting pictures

footz
3rd Dec 2008, 04:18 PM
Derek what problem are you having in posting pics? see if we can nut this out for ya.
Do you have a problem with file size of pics being too big , or are you not sure where the attachment link is.Pic is where the attachment link is. Just press on it and it will open up a window, you might have a pop up blocker???? stopping it , otherwise just browse to the file and upload it if it says too big then you have to resize. We can discuss the next problem if you are getting this far. The link above describes in more detail. Good luck as I want to see all these 4X4's laying around heheheh

bitza500
4th Dec 2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Guys I found my picture problem all my pictures are bigger than 800 x 600 so I have to resize so the system tells me so I will change my camera to 800 x 600 next time as i got a headache trying to work out all the biz about resizing unless someone has a site that makes sense i work with my hands and big words go past me as i spent all last night trying to download XP resizer and it fails so 10 attempts was enough so i tried another still the same it will not load on my pc ???????
must have a problem somewhere but I can build computers and have reasonable knowledge on using but this resizing ?????????????

allthe best Derekbitza500

Penpal
5th Dec 2008, 08:11 AM
I use a free program called VSO Image Resiser with success.

Peter:2tsup:

footz
5th Dec 2008, 09:05 AM
I use irfanview for picture viewing and resizing. works well and its free !

http://www.irfanview.net/

I have set it up so it always opens pics in a same size window so when you scroll through pics using the mouse wheel it dosent change the viewing size. Also when installing it asks what extensions to associate the program with, I only select the ones I want Irfanview to open otherwise it will try to open a lot of things. Fairly simple to use there is a option on resizing in from the menu bar.
see pics
1st one is the option for resizing and the 2nd is the option to save compressing file. @nd pic I did twice hence the jpegging effect Just set up the ticks like I have and it should work? LOL
Good LUck

wannabe
5th Dec 2008, 11:42 AM
Another simple solution is to download Microsofts Powertoys here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Once Installed when you right click on the files(s) there is an option to resize pics. It's almost a no brainer and very simple. I was having all sorts of problems until I found that one.

bitza500
8th Dec 2008, 11:47 AM
Hi Gene Thank's and Have just fired up as of Monday 12th and downloaded your Idea which way to go

Peter, I have tried 6 times to download the XP Resizer and all 6 time Failed to Initialize and stopped so thanks anyway as I have not a lot of luck using any of XP add Ons even when you have to Validate and my is Genuine I always have to get a verifcation number before continuingBut that is what happens when you do it without reading how to first

all the best Derek bitza500

bitza500
8th Dec 2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Gene can you send those thumbmails to my home email address as I am unable to read but am getting somewhere slowly but need to see what your thumbnails say as it is too blurred at that size on the forum

bitza500
8th Dec 2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Guys I changed my camera to the smallest size took 8 pictures only 2 could be uploade at the correct size the 101 resizers I have tried still either blotch the picture bringing it down to 800 x 600 or it just will not doit so these are the 2 of 8 pics at 800 x 600
all the best Derek bitza500

pipeclay
8th Dec 2008, 03:55 PM
Is that first photo of your tool post and spindle taken before you put riser blocks on your tail stock,how come you didnt finish the tool post or have you now.
What size slots have you cut in the tool post by the look of it it appears they are fairly high but narrow.

bitza500
8th Dec 2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Pipe clayThe Headstock was stripped so I could take it to my mates Workshop were Greg's old bed was so to make it lighter I stripped the headstock bare then just set the mainshaft back in as a handle as it is heavy enough
So My Headstock is on Greg's Bed my Carraige is on the Made T-Slot Crosslide I bought on eBay a few Months ago
The T-Slot is 18mm wide at the bottom has a 10 mm slot and 14mm high cutout it had another Toolpost on it but my one was bigger and better and the Toolpost holder was mounted using 2 x T -Sloy studs and the base of the toolpost had 2 counter sunk holes to fit the Nuts to secure the base
The lathe it came off never had a top Crosslide explains why the Bottom crosslide is so tall
A Colchester 12" Crosslide and swivel was modified to bolt on the Bottom Crosslide
The Colchester Top Crosslide had 1" machined off the top so it was dead flat then we bolted with 4 bolts the Toolpost holder onto the Top Crosslide This now giving me my 6 5/8" Centre height
The tool post holder was set using a piece of 1/2" HSS toolsteel and is just a tad low whichich is nothing as I tried my toolmakers carbide tools he has and fits bang on Centre heigh so as I have a mass collection of 3/16" to 1/2" toolbits I have a setup where I can still use a tool Holder or just bolt the tool in and shim up to the right height
The best is yet to come as I have to make a extension to the carraige or the dial mount and Handle has to be brought out 1" to get full capacity use of the 2 " riser block
The Main reason the Tailstock is not done is I am after a bigger Tailstock as I have to put the riser on the Tailstock and it will work as I have had a few emails about a tailstock all to no avail so That is last
I know have the springs and the felt to go under the Mainshaft so assembly is close except that for my argument with my saw Bench which I lost and did a good cutting job on all bar my thumb but the bones were pinned back together but the ring finger is not happy as I wanted it cut off as it was 95% sawn of but the Hospital Policy is to save as many parts as possible

But as my luck goes 1 out of 4 fingers is not happy and is looking like it may get the chop by Request as it is nearly 8 weeks ago and when I was a apprentice one of the guys lost his ring finger and was back to work in a week so hopefully I will get my wish as for 7 weeks I have just watch it go from Bad to Worse No feeling at all and cold nice shade of purple too

So When I get my Hands back to both useable together I can fit the headstock and Carraige and all the jibs and screws Then bolt the side apron on and rewire for the 5HP 1/2 Motor as well as make a new mounting plate as the motor came with the Tassie Devil but was off another machine so the bolt holes 1 set fits on the plate the other dangle in the air

I have had plenty of people say I am mad but for the odd ocassion that I may have to machine Brake drums or Discs or flywheels or make bits for my 1986 Jackaroo with a Chev in it that is another project and the main reason I got the lathe as any 4WD part is dear but the Body Lift kit at $299 was better spent on the lathe
As the Aluminium block all 12 cut pieces are $65.00 the 12 Grade 8 bolts are just under $50.00 so the lathe came in a just the right time but my accident in October has stopped me working on my projects and if they will try and fix the finger that will take me out till February Bloddy Nightmare

The day will come as you see the Green Tassie Devil when Drew took 6 Months stripped bare repainted made a bench and has been useable now for a few weeks so when you build a lathe you always need a Lathe so at least I have a 67 year old Flat belt running like a charm and using a cut up car timingbelt runs with outout the belt flapping all the time
So go to the new thread and look at the original lathe on the bench the day I bought it last October

And if anybody knows were there is a higher tailstock that I can machine to adapt the Hercus please let me know as I want to start that asap so all Different parts are machined to the require Centre height and a tailstock off some old large machine that I can machine to sit on the Bed of the Lathe

Enough blitthering this will teach you Pipeclay when I cannot work in The Garage I go on the web and the Forum First to see what is going

all the best Derek

footz
8th Dec 2008, 07:47 PM
WOOHOO
go derek I seen you have mastered the art of pics. It wont be long and I reckon you will flood us with pics. And man take care of them fingers you cant keep throwing them away as god only gave ya 10!. Hope it heals well.

bitza500
8th Dec 2008, 08:19 PM
Hi Pipeclay here is a 5 minute 1 handed put together as you can see the 1/2" toolsteel is just under centre height al is just as I have not finished due to my hand losing to a sawbench so I would have got a lot more done but as my mate wanted the lathe at his place all was stripped to make the Headstock lighter so I have just sat all the parts to show the setup
The Atlas Craftsman12" top Crosslide has not got the bolt on plate for the spindle and nut and the T-Slot is 10mm wide 14mm Deep and 18 mm wide and this is how the guy I bought it of had it NO TOP CROSSLIDE ?? so the Crosslide had 1" removed to get a close centre heigh for any size tool
This was made for the guy at his work by a toolmaker and is ok except when marking 0 for the swivel found thr whole for the nut 3mm off centre ashe has measure a normal Crosslide then used a 100 wide chunk of steel so as I have to redrill as to get the right distance it is one of those things

One of the other owners has made a pattern for a T-Slot crosslide
But you have to try and find a place that will do a 1 off job as I gave up as no one could guantee a 1off would be right as the material they get has rubbish in it and causing massive blow holes

So there it is again as the first reply vanished
all the best derekbitza500