PDA

View Full Version : Belt adjusting nut

neksmerj
21st Nov 2008, 07:15 PM
Instead of my Hercus having a BELT ADJUSTING NUT, it has two threaded collars, one on top of the other.

Attached are a couple of pictures of the area in question.

I reckon these collars might be a foreign addition, perhaps the original nut was lost.
Anything is possible in the hands of Tech school kids.

Q1. If you reckon I'm right, would a kind member post a hand sketch so I can draw up the proper adjusting nut.

Q2. Is the nut painted or unpainted, machined or cast?

According to my parts manual, it is part No. M119.

Ken

pipeclay
21st Nov 2008, 07:53 PM
Ken everything above the heavy washer shouldnt be there,the adjusting nut is painted and it is also cast.

wannabe
21st Nov 2008, 09:10 PM
Mine look like the one in the pic. Hopefully it's not too small. My lathes not the AR version but I assume they are all the same. I can measure it up for you tomorrow if you want.

neksmerj
22nd Nov 2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks fella's for your input.

A nice detailed sketch would be appreciated.

Ken

DJ’s Timber
22nd Nov 2008, 12:26 AM
There is a chance that I may have one of these nuts sitting out in the yard as I have one of those belt tension jig as shown in your second pic, sitting here that is scrap to me, if it's there you can have the knob for the cost of postage or you can come for a drive here and pinch the whole thing :2tsup:

wannabe
22nd Nov 2008, 12:39 AM
Ken. Let me know if you still need the drawing and I'll hack something up in Autocad compatible format for you.

neksmerj
22nd Nov 2008, 12:40 AM
Hi DJ,

I appreciate your offer, let's hope you have a spare.

East Warburton is just up the hill from Heidelberg.

Ken

neksmerj
22nd Nov 2008, 12:43 AM
Hi Peter,

Hang five, DJ might have a spare out in the yard. Will let you know.

Ken

DJ’s Timber
22nd Nov 2008, 12:55 AM
Will have a look for it when I get up later this morning :U

bitza500
22nd Nov 2008, 01:00 AM
Hi Ken, My Hercus has a cast nut that has serations for gripping on

But I think yours is a bit differrent to my setup and as it it is 12.56 am Saturday Morning and very cold outside I will look tommorow

Or if need be I can go down to Newmac and look at one of their Hercus 9" Kermit green ex School lathes
so I will get back to you about the nut or the casting

all the best derek bitza500

footz
22nd Nov 2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Ken
I am at work so I cant take a pic and measurements but I have these pics to give you a idea. When I get home Ill measure it up as best as I can. No cad drawing though sorry. I luv how you have a white background on your pics Ken. The parts look sensational. I see you started a show your lathe post , Ill be in!

DJ’s Timber
22nd Nov 2008, 11:34 AM
Just been out to the shed and had a look and it looks like you're in luck Ken :2tsup:

Measured the thread on the shaft and I assuming that it's imperial rather than metric as I didn't measure the TPI, anyway it appears to be 7/16" and as you'll see from the following pictures it appears to be the same Nut as footz's from the previous post.

Whole assembly is slightly different than the one you pictured though.

89351 89352

footz
22nd Nov 2008, 12:06 PM
Ok the gene method of cad work?

The hands aint mine though got my daughter to hold them (well thats what I am saying LOL)
The item in the above post from DJ appears the same grab it heheh

footz
22nd Nov 2008, 12:15 PM
And some more pics the depression is 5.42 mm deep
Hope this is not too silly Ken but easiest way for me to do it LOL
And no I wish my hands did look like that!

neksmerj
22nd Nov 2008, 04:46 PM
DJ,

Guess I'm lucky, your offer will save me having to make one. Derek has offered to pick it up from you. Reckon he just wants to get out of the house for a while, I'll say no more.

Gene, how do you keep your hands looking so clean and young looking?...........just kiddin.

Thanks for the "CAD" pictures, a nice touch. I'm hopeless at taking pictures, and ask my son to do it. The back ground is an old sheet or large sheet of paper and generally shot outdoors. Pictures are cropped and re-sized in Photoshop CS.

Much of the resolution and clarity is lost when reduced to 800x600, which is a pity.

Ken

DJ’s Timber
22nd Nov 2008, 04:58 PM
Have just got off the phone from Derek and he is on his way now :2tsup:

neksmerj
22nd Nov 2008, 05:14 PM
DJ,

Thanks for the update, Derek doesn't muck around.

Ken

bitza500
23rd Nov 2008, 08:55 PM
Hi all went up to DJ's to get the piece for KEN and I even found a piece or 2 for mine as well
I was almost estatic when I saw the twin pulley on the motor but she is bit busted

Has anybody got a spare twin motor pulley as mine is Aluminium and is wafer thin and the one off DJ is broken so any ideas as I have yet to find a pulley with the same dimensions unless someone has a place where I can try otherwise it is more machining
It is a bit rough when you need a lathe to fix a lathe

My Mate who bought the 1941 Tassie Devil finished it off on Saturday flicked the switch and she purrs like a kitten no groans or grinds I was quite putback as normally you can hear a bit of gear noise but this one has not a squeak

So Thanks DJ for the Part as Ken has his bits and I have scrounged a few bits myself and might have plans for the rest of the housing as having a 4 speed pulley has got me thinking

all the best Derek bitza500

neksmerj
29th Nov 2008, 07:44 PM
Just to conclude my thread, many thanks to DJ for supplying the nut and washer, and many thanks to Derek for saving me the trouble of driving to East Warburton, to pick it up.

With a lick of paint, it's life will be renewed. Pity a coat of paint on me, wouldn't do the same.

Thanks guys,

Ken