PDA

View Full Version : chassis build

fairmont
13th Oct 2008, 04:31 PM
hi, informations for south australia

just wondering if i make my own 15ft caravan chassis which im only thinking about at this stage,

how do i get the axle and cable brakes cheaper where do i go and

how hard is it to just register and what exactly has to be done to register a homemade chassis the first time ill have to register the chassis only first so i can tow it from one place to the other to work on it, how will i go on that.

what has to be done to get a vin for the first time on a homemade caravan chassis.

is it cheaper to buy a 500 dollar 15ft caravan and rebuild it fron the ground up or change the front and back so the whole thing looks like a viscount with the possibillity of having to have the brakes replaced or is it cheaper to just make a new chassis as well and buy the outside sheeting secondhand seperately.

whats the requirements to register a homemade caravan chassis first time as in lighting and brakes and chains.

can you please give me information in your own words what has to be done and how to get a vin first time on a homemade caravan chassis and am i able to rivert the vin plate on if i get a number from you guys.

am i able to buy a old camper trailer and strip the rego plate and transfer it onto the new chassis or can i only use the brakes and wheel hubs off it.

is secondhand cable mechanical brakes and hubs ok to use provided they work.

is secondhand axle ok to use provided it works.

Yonnee
14th Oct 2008, 04:58 PM
hi, informations for south australia

just wondering if i make my own 15ft caravan chassis which im only thinking about at this stage,

how do i get the axle and cable brakes cheaper where do i go and That I can't help with much. Your best bet is to ring Melbourne Trailer and Caravan Supplies 03 9772 2333, and find out who they supply their axles to in S.A.

how hard is it to just register and what exactly has to be done to register a homemade chassis the first time ill have to register the chassis only first so i can tow it from one place to the other to work on it, how will i go on that.I'm not familiar with S.A. reg's, but you'd be better off contacting the Registration Authority in South Australia. The VIN number that you'll get is specific to the type of vehicle that it's being built into. So a VIN number for a Caravan, then needs to be presented for registration as a Caravan.

You might be able to get permits to move the chassis around from place to place.

what has to be done to get a vin for the first time on a homemade caravan chassis.Again, contact your Department of Transport in S.A. who should be able to give you a VIN number.

is it cheaper to buy a 500 dollar 15ft caravan and rebuild it fron the ground up or change the front and back so the whole thing looks like a viscount with the possibillity of having to have the brakes replaced or is it cheaper to just make a new chassis as well and buy the outside sheeting secondhand seperately.
Ultimately, Yes. It will be cheaper to buy a run-down Caravan and renovate/restore it. It's alot less hassle to re-register a previously registered caravan than it would be to register one from scratch.

whats the requirements to register a homemade caravan chassis first time as in lighting and brakes and chains. Download a copy of the Vehicle Standards Bulletin http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/vsb_01.pdf (http://Vehicle Standards Bulletin 1.)

can you please give me information in your own words what has to be done and how to get a vin first time on a homemade caravan chassis and am i able to rivert the vin plate on Yes...

if i get a number from you guys. But you won't get it from us???

am i able to buy a old camper trailer and strip the rego plate and transfer it onto the new chassis or can i only use the brakes and wheel hubs off it. Not legally, no.

is secondhand cable mechanical brakes and hubs ok to use provided they work.

is secondhand axle ok to use provided it works. Get them checked, but there's no reason why you can't use S/hand axles. Be a good idea to renew the bearings though...

tanii51
14th Oct 2008, 09:49 PM
i got my axles and springs and brakes from modern trailers at pooraka . check with brice metals they used to make trailer kits all ready cut and folded but you may not need them

jatt
16th Oct 2008, 08:00 AM
See caravans (especially pop tops) come into the shop all the time.

I would find a van with a reasonable chassis (ie not full of rust) and go from there. Obviously one must have a rough idea of the actual cost of bringing the van up to scratch before buying.

Would make sure the canvas part is ok if its a pop top and of course the fridge & stove. There is a fair bit of work involved replacing deteriorated canvas as they can be a cow to do. Believe me I know.

If canvas can tear in your hands then its a good chance its stuffted.

If u managed to pick one up with a reasonable annex then thats a real bonus.

Am in the process of rebuilding a pop top myself (slowly). Stuff like random groove panelling lining on the inside is faily easy to replace. If one was to buy a van of this style test the wind up part before purchase. The cables arent always easy to access if u need to fix one.

Hope this helps.