PDA

View Full Version : Teardrop Camper axle question

Teardrop.Camper
10th Oct 2008, 05:01 AM
Hi everyone,
I've been wanting to build a light weight teardrop camper for some time and have finally decided to start but have a question about the axle.
I have a 1988 Saab vehicle that came in contact with a kangaroo and I've decided not to repair the damage and just scrap the vehicle.
This Saab is a front wheel drive vehicle and has a straight round bar beam axle at the rear, is it possible to use this axle on a trailer. I could either construct the trailer frame using the original coil spring setup or go with a leaf spring setup, since its only to carry the weight of the plywood camper and 2 folks and a Bull Terrier I'm hoping the coil springs will do as it can be setup exactly as in the vehicle.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Fred

Yonnee
10th Oct 2008, 05:47 PM
Simple answer, Yes, it can be done.

The problem is, whenever you need to replace parts, even as simple as bearings can cost you a fortune to obtain. Plus the fact that most places wont have them on the shelf.

Teardrop.Camper
10th Oct 2008, 09:58 PM
Hi Yonnee,
I went down to our local Qld transport department this morning and purchased a manual that explains the standards for constructing a camper trailer.

I'll go with the Saab axle setup as recently I had replaced the bearings, shocks, springs and bushes at a total of $600.00. I'll just get a supply of the parts that may fail and keep them on hand, problem solved.
I'll just have to decide whether to go with the original setup or convert it to a leaf spring setup.

Thanks for the help
Fred.

Yonnee
10th Oct 2008, 11:23 PM
I'll go with the Saab axle setup as recently I had replaced the bearings, shocks, springs and bushes at a total of $600.00. I'll just get a supply of the parts that may fail and keep them on hand, problem solved.
My point exactly... If you hadn't already spent it, you'd've spent that on the complete running gear for a trailer/camper, including coupling, axle, brakes, suspension, etc. I'm guessing you've still got to get a coupling...?? And what happens when you spin a bearing somewhere near Kalgoorlie? How long will you be prepared to wait while they freight one from Perth... or Sydney?

Don't get me wrong, I love a custom project, it's just that you'll need to think of these things to "future proof" your camper. It may be as simple as purchasing a spare set of bearings and seals to take with you. Not that you shouldn't do that anyway, but in this case, it can mean a huge time and cost difference to obtain SAAB bits, as opposed to Holden/Ford bits.

You'll need to find out what size master cylinder is required to run the SAAB brakes too, making sure it properly matched for effective braking.

I'll just have to decide whether to go with the original setup or convert it to a leaf spring setup.

Thanks for the help
Fred. I'd leave the SAAB setup as a whole. Rather than trying to adapt other odd springs into the mix as well. Sounds like it's going to be a unique setup. Is the tow vehicle a SAAB too?

Make sure you take lots of pics, and post them here as you go.:2tsup:

Teardrop.Camper
11th Oct 2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the advise but I originally only wanted to know id the Saab's axle could be used, Issue now closed we'll remove the rear end tomorrow afternoon and get started tacking up the frame work. Cheerio Fred, Linda and Leo.
Leo Bull Terrier
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n68/Wholelotofshakingoingon/Small.jpg