PDA

View Full Version : Think I might build a trailer.

timbo123
1st Oct 2008, 12:46 PM
Gents
I’m thinking of building my self a 4X7 trailer.. I have a totally stuffed 6X4 that someone gave me (it had a new axle and good chequered plate) I am actually thinking of trying to put two axles on the 4X7 as it will be under the registration requirement length and be able to carry more then the crappy 750kg’s (in Vic anyway) however will there be room to put two axles – had a bit of a play the other day and I think I could squeeze them in.

Also about breaks - what’s the go there – do I just buy a kit from a local trailer joint or some old dude was telling me the other day I could probably make something up from an old Holden..

Mind you the cost of steel now aday!!!!!! Think I might have to start working with wood….

Yonnee
1st Oct 2008, 06:04 PM
Gents
I’m thinking of building my self a 4X7 trailer.. I have a totally stuffed 6X4 that someone gave me (it had a new axle and good chequered plate) I am actually thinking of trying to put two axles on the 4X7 as it will be under the registration requirement length
This is incorrect. The length for not having to register a trailer is 10 foot... this includes the drawbar. There's also requirements for its unladen weight and its width.

and be able to carry more then the crappy 750kg’s (in Vic anyway)
That's Australia wide too...

however will there be room to put two axles – had a bit of a play the other day and I think I could squeeze them in.
You can do a tandem in this size. It's a tight fit, and you don't get alot of room between the ends of the guards for tie-down rails.

Also about breaks - what’s the go there – do I just buy a kit from a local trailer joint or some old dude was telling me the other day I could probably make something up from an old Holden..

Under 750kg capacity, including load, doesn't require brakes. But if you're going to register the trailer at over 750kg, then you may need to get a new, heavier axle. Most 6x4's only have a 39mm round axle rated at 750kg, and is probably all the current axle is.
I've seen heaps of backyard brake adaptations over the years, and the main drama is getting it right so that it works, and in 10 years time, remembering what they came off to find parts for them. Trailer specific stuff, particularly the 9" drum brake, is cheap, plentiful, common to 90% of trailers with hydraulic drum brakes, and the parts to fit them are "off-the-shelf".

Calm
1st Oct 2008, 06:14 PM
I am not sure you can build a trailer yourself with a weight over $750 KG (legally) - also remember sometimes other peple use the roads as well so it's better to do it properly.

Cheers

timbo123
1st Oct 2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the advice 10 foot that does not leave a lot of room for the drawbar - would a 3 foot be abit small? I suppose backing the trailer would be a nightmare.

Calm
1st Oct 2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the advice 10 foot that does not leave a lot of room for the drawbar - would a 3 foot be abit small? I suppose backing the trailer would be a nightmare.

3 foot - what is the measurement from the centre of the towball to the edge (corner) of the car. if this is greater than 3 foot you will hit the corner (jacknife) the trailer very easily.

Cheers

Yonnee
1st Oct 2008, 11:03 PM
3 foot - what is the measurement from the centre of the towball to the edge (corner) of the car. if this is greater than 3 foot you will hit the corner (jacknife) the trailer very easily.

CheersHence, why minimum 4' drawbar. Maximum width of vehicle on road is 8', towbar in the middle.

I am not sure you can build a trailer yourself with a weight over $750 KG (legally) - also remember sometimes other peple use the roads as well so it's better to do it properly.Anyone can build a trailer up to 4500kg capacity, as long as they follow the guidelines and regulations for building small trailers. You're also putting your name on record with the supplier of the V.I.N. number as the manufacturer of the trailer, and that stays on record for the life of the trailer, irrespective of following owners.