PDA

View Full Version : Knurled nut

footz
26th Sep 2008, 06:24 PM
Hi all, I have received and painted my belt covers for the hercus. But one thing I never received was 3 knurled nuts. 2 of them hold on the side cover motor belt cover, and 1 goes on the front cover on the bottom edge to help lift up the cover.
Does anyone have a sample of these with approx measurements, I could just turn up something that would fit but trying to keep the original look. I think they are made of aluminum.

neksmerj
26th Sep 2008, 07:42 PM
Hi Gene,

In tomorrow's daylight, will measure up the knurled knobs for you, if I can find them.

I have bits of restored lathe all over the house.

Ken

wannabe
26th Sep 2008, 07:46 PM
Footz,
Where did you get the belt covers from?

neksmerj
26th Sep 2008, 09:12 PM
Gene,

Attached is a drawing of the knobs you require.

The rear belt cover knobs look authentic, not sure about the knob for the lift up cover.

The one on my lathe might be a replacement.

Perhaps a kind member will see what's on their Hercus, to verify.

Ken

beetle
26th Sep 2008, 11:51 PM
FOOTZE I made 2 knurled nuts foe mine which look very similar

beetle
26th Sep 2008, 11:55 PM
Nice DRAWINGS the ones I made are the same style out of mild steel and gun blackened

beetle
27th Sep 2008, 12:00 AM
I think imformation such as your drawings is a step in the right direction and exchanging ideas
Cheers Bernie

bitza500
27th Sep 2008, 12:55 AM
Hi Ken, what other goodies have you done drawings for as this is Great
Have you done a drawing for a tool for tighting the handle nuts without damaging them??
But any drawings you have done please just put one on the forum every once in a while as they are great
As with most Lathes you have to make something but you need to know what it looks like
So keep the drawings coming
all the best Derek bitza500
[email protected]

footz
27th Sep 2008, 09:47 AM
You the man Ken

I can see I need to go interstate and buy you a few beers. You helping out all the time
By the date on the plans bitza I think ken just draws plans as required. Ken which programme are you using for cad work? I gather ken you do this for a living?
Thanx , now where do I get info on them dam women LOL

bitza500
27th Sep 2008, 04:15 PM
After seeing such professional drawins and precise measurement I think Ken deserves a pat on the back as the drawings are a BRILLIANT necesity for these old Hercus"s as all the small items that have been gouged lockgrips hammer and chisel or just plain missing
The drawing he did for the Nuts to hold the slide handles on is a Brilliant piece of work as I have 1 mutilated original and 3 ground up nuts to hold the Handles on now I can remake the nuts to a DRAWING and not a mutilated piece of steel as the Majority of Lathes have normal nuts holding the handles on and as 75% on the Register are restoring that drawing is Priceless
But I will be making a proper tool to use to fit them or have you a drawing for one KEN ???

all the best Derek

Penpal
27th Sep 2008, 05:49 PM
Real as in actual measurements for the two side nuts knurled are

3/8 inch from the washer to the step, 3/8 inch wide to the domed top that is 1/16 inch dome.The knurl is 1/4 ich central. The hole is 3/8 inch. There are two of these.

The front knob is in two parts the front handle is 1 inch diameter, 5/16 inch to step down to 5/8 inch long by 5/8 inch. 1/8 inch threaded piece between front and back.
The inside metal is 5/8 inch by 5/8 inch with a rubber similar to old dunny seat rubbers
with the domed recess outside, the 1/8 screw passes from the rubber through a threaded centre in the metal and is screwed in by hand easily from and through the fibreglass cover. The screw therefore holds the rubber stopper in place tight.

There is no need for a tool to fit the side cover indeed a spring washer could be used with a thinner washer on the side cover is designed to fit by hand.

I say real measurement since it was made in imperial times.

All this at great personal cost as the grandfinal was on at this time.

Regards Peter,:2tsup:

neksmerj
27th Sep 2008, 08:16 PM
Bitza500,

I made my own tool for tightening the domed nuts that secure the hand wheels.

It was simply a 6mm plain washer cut in half, and gripped with a pair of pliers.

I don't think a drawing is necessary.

Gene,

I use Autocad R14, does everything I want without all the padding of the later upgrades.

Ken

footz
28th Sep 2008, 08:26 AM
Wannabe
I got the covers from the s/h hercus man
http://www.moyles.com.au/

Penpal
LOL I hope your team won!

Thanx all I will make some out of aluminum today if I get a chance, painted the covers and other bitz looks like I am going to restore a hercus heheh. Dam it sure is looking good. Thats if lathes can look good?

beetle
28th Sep 2008, 11:17 AM
Turning the knurled nuts you need to write your self a simple order of operations for the project.

1 Chuck the bar needed
2 Turn major od
3 Centre drill
4 Drill for 3/8 tapping drill
5 KNURL OD
6 Turn stepped dia
7 Tap 3/8 thread
8 Face stepped section to length
9 Counter drill clearace hole
10 REVERSE job in chuck
11 Face to length allowing enough material to fre turn knob radius
Cheers Bernie

Big Shed
28th Sep 2008, 12:08 PM
As a very new metal worker I found your step by step procedure both helpful and very interesting.

One question though, on the drawing it shows an outside radius on the knob (R53.5), how do you free turn the radius?

beetle
28th Sep 2008, 08:17 PM
HI BIG SHED I guess the free turning is a combination of using the compound slide and cross slide on your llathe at the same time.Example starting at the centre of your almost completed knob,you operated the compound slide with your right hand and cross slide with your left hand,

So as you wind the compoud slide towards the chuck you wind the cross slide towards you generating a radius.It doesnt have to be fast just coordinate your two hands,practice on any round bar.
Cheers BERNIE

Big Shed
28th Sep 2008, 08:18 PM
I'll have to give that a go, thanks:2tsup:

beetle
28th Sep 2008, 08:31 PM
Hi there just take it easy its a bit like facing off except you are creating a curved surface. Try smal radius till you get the hang of it.
Cheers Bernie

footz
30th Sep 2008, 10:56 PM
Well Ken thanx to your plans I have 1 little knob for front cover and 1 so far for side do other one tomorrow night. I made them in ali though all I had laying around,

footz
10th Oct 2008, 02:50 PM
Thanx again Ken, I just bought a old hercus 6a power saw and the nut thingies you drew up for me this unit has them on it LOL. And I must say your drawings are perfect.

neksmerj
10th Oct 2008, 07:01 PM
I have some pieces of flat tool steel, approx 20mm wide, 5mm thick and about 100mm long. Into the left side is ground a curve, with relief, where the radius varies from large to small. A bit like French curves, remember those from Tech Drag at school?

To cut a partial dome, simply pick a part of the curve that's close to what you want, and plunge this edge into the work with the blade clamped into the tool post.

Works a treat. You could probably make one from an old flat file or similar.

That will be two and six, thanks!

Ken

beetle
10th Oct 2008, 07:10 PM
FILES are good as form tools for aluminium also old power hack saw bldes are good for parting off nylon and teflon bushes