PDA

View Full Version : Hercus Gears and Lathes for sale

Penpal
19th Sep 2008, 10:20 AM
Yesterday whilst looking for a commercial water jet cutting firm I saw a for sale sign at an old factory in Canberra and I remembered this place because the owner had seven A Model machines for sale amongst others many years ago as he bought extensively at Govt Auctions. Well he now has advanced alsymers and other problems.

His daughter was visiting and we found two Hercus A,s about 1960,s vintage and in a cupboard two huge strings of Hercus loose gears including the wider ones for the later models. The lathes are two grand and he did not give me a price for the gears but the daughter is to ring me over the week end with the gear numbers and prices and prices for the lathes.

She the daughter is returning home from Canberra on Monday and wants to shift the stuff. her dad is bent to the ground and has massive problems and she fears having to move everything herself so she assured me of the contact by phone, I personally do not need anything but urgent pm,s would reach me if any of you are.

Regards Peter:2tsup:

.RC.
19th Sep 2008, 06:35 PM
two grand for all the lathes or two grand each????

Hercus's generally only bring about $1200 max...

Penpal
19th Sep 2008, 11:55 PM
Amazing cheap Hercus up your way.

Forget the prices given in a quick decision by the owner I was waiting to hear from , still waiting, have not received a call as yet. Remember I want for nothing in this effort, I will take no part in dealing etc but will pass the info on and a contact for the owner if I reckon they are talking sense.

Peter:2tsup:

jomac6
5th Jan 2009, 10:18 PM
Peter Hi Happy new year.
I was going to drop of a piece of Purple Heart for you after Tech at Bruce, guess wot I didnt make the last two classes and even if I had Iv'e lost your phone number so give me a buzz some time.
I got all the gears I wanted except the 50 and 25 tooth from Queanbeyan, every one else is either too dear or dont have any, so like I told Bitza500 I brought second hand gear cutters. nearly finished making a milling attatchment, indexer, and gear cutter mandrels, just waiting for a morse taper reducers and reamers from Ozmestore, then hopefuly I can cut my own.
Thanks for your help John Holloway

tanii51
19th Mar 2009, 09:45 AM
any up dates on how you went with cutting your own gears i may need to go the same way if i cant find a set of gears

jomac6
19th Mar 2009, 10:18 PM
re gears for hercus 260.
OK, Ime sorry I have been of the air for 3 months, because of illness in the family.
Now that Ive finished makeing the milling attachment, the indexer, arbors to hold the gear cutters that I brought second hand from "Apex machinery", an arbor to machine the blanks to the correct size, and a simple machine to gash the blanks I should very soon make a start, albeit I am going to cut the first gear out of alumunium just in case something jams up.
Its all been a struggle, because my maths aint been used for 50 years. Reading Ivan Laws book, Gears and gear cutting was hard work, my grandson read two pages of formulae and in 30 seconds he told me what dimensions I needed unfortunately he was just visiting from Melbourne,
Ime only just starting to get the hang of it.
When I take some pics of all the gear Ive made and learn how to upload them, you should be able to see the variations on the Lawrence Sparey indexer.
Let us know how you or anyone else goes about cutting gears, threads etc etc.
John H:2tsup: