PDA

View Full Version : How to search for active threads

rodm
3rd Mar 2004, 08:49 PM
Sometimes I take a sneeky look at the board in my lunch break but invariably I don't get to read all the active threads. When I get home and log on I miss the threads that I didn't get to. I have treid a search for threads newer than yesterday but it draws a blank search.
Is there anyway I can do a search that will give me the active threads for today?
Thanks

Larry M
4th Mar 2004, 02:50 AM
Hi Rod

Looks like you're probably completely underwhelmed by the response. FWIW my process for catching up with posts each time I log on is to go to 'View new posts'. Then go to the last post on the last page and work backwards. When you select a thread to read you can in turn select 'Go to first unread post'. I find that this way I don't miss any posts and I don't waste time re-reading any, unless I choose to do so. It also enables you to start again where you left off. When you eventually get to the top just select ''Mark all forums read' and you're ready for next time. A bit systematic but it works for me.

Regards

Larry

arose62
4th Mar 2004, 08:01 AM
I've noticed this too....

as a non-logged-in person, you can check out today's active threads, but I can't find any way to do that once you've logged in.

I also have spent considerable time in the search facility, but it seems to insist on some other criteria in addition to date.

Why???

But I'll second the vote to get it fixed!

Cheers,
Andrew

rodm
4th Mar 2004, 10:49 AM
Andrew, Larry

Thanks for your responses. At least I haven't overlooked the obvious in the search facility.
Hopefully there is a easy solution.

Sturdee
4th Mar 2004, 12:14 PM
Rod,

Sometimes I also do what you do but on the work's computer I don't log in but am only a guest. Then at home,where I automatically log in, the "View new posts" will show all including the ones I saw at work.

Next time before you log on delete from your work computer all cookies then it should log on as a guest.

Peter.

rodm
4th Mar 2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks Peter
That sounds like a good solution. Now all I have to do is work out how to get rid of the cookies but I'm sure that wont be too difficult. These computer guys sure have created a language all of their own.

arose62
5th Mar 2004, 12:08 AM
If you're using MS Internet Explorer, click Tools, then Internet Options, and there's a button to clear all the cookies.

But, just in case you need some for work-related stuff, you can search for a directory called "cookies", and the ubeaut one is pretty obvious, and then you can delete it. Something like

[email protected][1].txt

YMMV, depending on what versions of various stuff you're running.

Cheers,
Andrew

rodm
5th Mar 2004, 12:16 AM
Thanks Andrew - got it