PDA

View Full Version : Hercus 'B'

Brett C
21st Jul 2008, 11:23 PM
About five years ago I acquired Hercus ‘model B’ lathe, somewhat opportunistically. It was functional, but very tired and certainly in need of some serious maintenance and rewiring. Nevertheless I used it a couple of times, but one day there was a big flash from the reversing switch and the workshop went dark!! So it sat there for a few years glaring at me until it got to the top of the ‘To Do’ list.

It is a plain bearing 1956 unit – B5540 – stamped ‘E4’ at the headstock end (don’t know what that means), and ‘BS’ at the tailstock end. I did read somewhere that the ‘S’ indicates a ‘Special’ and wouldn’t have a tailstock. This may be one reason why the tailstock with the lathe is not matching numbers but several years older.

Its turn has now come, and the first job was to remove the headstock to deal with the chewed gear teeth on the spindle. This was beyond me, but luckily a retired engineer friend tackled it with enthusiasm. He has produced new reversing gears and drive gear, and repaired the spindle with a toothed sleeve replacing the original gear teeth which were turned off. Beautiful work, I’ll post a photo when I get it home.

The next known problem is a cracked upper four stepped V-pulley. I’m guessing this is fairly generic, but I haven’t measured it and gone looking yet.

Brett

Penpal
22nd Jul 2008, 12:01 AM
Do some measurements from centre to centre in the bottom of each step on the pulley. I think I have a head stock 4 step pulley that maybe could be sleeved and used in fact I know where it is and then will measure mine and check it against yours. If it fits you can pay freight and have the pulley piece for nothing, in fact I have two one beaut and one different I inherited about 15 yrs ago with a purchase of an old Hercus I only bought to get the large three jaw chuck for its big centre hole. Then sold on the lathe.

PM me to get my details etc.

Your Welcome Peter:2tsup:

Brett C
22nd Jul 2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks Peter,

I'll Measure up the Pulleys and get back to you in the next couple of days

Cheers

Brett

Penpal
24th Jul 2008, 08:29 PM
I have weighed the unit and it ways close to 3kg so it can be sent using Air Express O/Night PO to your door for 10.80. It is the same size pulley 4 step as on my lathe made in 1967. If you want it send me a pm with your E Mail address and I will give you the info to send the money via Electronic transfer to my bank.You can sleeve it to fit the top.
Regards Peter:2tsup:

Brett C
28th Jul 2008, 10:05 PM
Peter,

I've measured up the pulleys. The upper pulley is an inch larger on each of the four steps than the headstock pulley, so I will have to start looking around for another source.

Thanks again for your offer

Brett